• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Idle question: What do other brands/models' valve adjustments cost?

ron203

Southeast Area Director
For instance, a Goldwing with six cylinders vs a C-14 with four? Anyone got first hand knowledge? Just curious.

I can tell you on my GL1800 it only cost an hours labor to check the valves, but if you had to make any adjustments it was about 3 hours labor charge.  On my Super Tenere I am told that the valve check will cost around $800.00 whether it needs any adjustments or not.

I guess it helps to have the cylinder heads sticking out to the sides? Thanks Fred.

I haven't ever had someone do my valve adjustments, but my wife's FZ6 I gather would be terrible expensive. I had to drop the engine to get to the valves (Not sure, Tenere may be like that too). My C10 and FJR, and my older bikes like my XS11 and XS650 and wife's KZ200 are all fairly easy. When I start looking at a new bike, I do some research on maintenance costs, gives me an idea on how difficult it will be to work on! Personally, easiest bike I have to do the valves on is my '74 DT250!  :D

jettawreck said:
I think if it's an Italian brand, you don't want to know nor should you ask have to ask :-\

My Ducati was about $1000 for belts and valve adjust, assuming it didn’t need any new rockers or cams. The Desmoquattro heads were known to eat both.

Rain Dancer said:
I haven't ever had someone do my valve adjustments, but my wife's FZ6 I gather would be terrible expensive. I had to drop the engine to get to the valves (Not sure, Tenere may be like that too). My C10 and FJR, and my older bikes like my XS11 and XS650 and wife's KZ200 are all fairly easy. When I start looking at a new bike, I do some research on maintenance costs, gives me an idea on how difficult it will be to work on! Personally, easiest bike I have to do the valves on is my '74 DT250!  :D

The Super Tenere engine does not have to be dropped, but from what I understand it is sort of like the C-14, you just have to remove a lot of stuff.  Spark plugs are easy, as I did them as well as the air cleaner, but after reading about the horror stories of doing a valve check on the ST, I will pay someone to do it.  There is a guy in Dallas that does a bunch of them, and he has a stellar reputation, so I will probably take it up to him.  Yes, I did know about the expense to check and adjust the valves before I purchased the bike, but considering everything else, I felt it was acceptable.

my ducati was around 800 labor valves, + they wanted 6 bills to do the belts. did it all myself.  :beerchug:

I was talking to a young man (26 - went to school with my son) who has  a Ducati.  He told me $1000. I was floored. I asked him how often he had had them done. He said "Never, I crashed it before the adjustment interval and I can't afford to fix it." I guess he thinks the Ducati  is a disposable bike and it's  not the price of the bike, it's the size of the  monthly payment.

ron203 said:
I was talking to a young man (26 - went to school with my son) who has  a Ducati.  He told me $1000. I was floored. I asked him how often he had had them done. He said "Never, I crashed it before the adjustment interval and I can't afford to fix it." I guess he thinks the Ducati  is a disposable bike and it's  not the price of the bike, it's the size of the  monthly payment.
Up until the Multistrada, I think, it was 6000 miles OR two years, whichever came first. Then it started climbing, and I think they’re up to 15k miles now. It was the old style timing belts they used. They said they needed changed every 6k/2 years or you risked grenading the motor. The new ones are Kevlar or something blah, blah so can go 15k. A Ducati mechanic I trusted said the older the motor was the less the valves moved,  so long as you continued to use the old shims and didn’t replace them with every adjustment. Apparently, the shims would squish when new, then work harden or something and then the valves would eventually stop moving. You would still need to do belts however. But that was quite cheap compared to adjusting the opening and closing rockers.

ron203 said:
For instance, a Goldwing with six cylinders vs a C-14 with four? Anyone got first hand knowledge? Just curious.

GL1500 6 cylinder Gold Wings are hydraulic...so...nothing...