• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

IIHS report on Motorcycle ABS brakes

Well it said everything I expected. After having ABS save my life on the C14. I wouldn't buy a brand new bike without ABS! 

Timing is everything.  I've been wondering if i would want ABS on my new Connie.  After reading some of that, it looks like i will buy one with ABS.

Motorcycles equipped with antilock brakes have a 37 percent lower rate of fatal crashes than the same models without antilocks, Institute researchers have found. The Institute's affiliate, the Highway Loss Data Institute, has reported that collision insurance claims are filed 22 percent less frequently for motorcycles with antilocks than for those without it.
While I don't dispute the value of ABS, how much of this statistic is because the type of rider of a bike with ABS is different from the type of rider of a bike without? Very, very few squids are riding with ABS ... and most of the ABS bikes are a bit more expensive and targeted towards older, more experienced riders. Just a thought ...

JustJ said:
Motorcycles equipped with antilock brakes have a 37 percent lower rate of fatal crashes than the same models without antilocks, Institute researchers have found. The Institute's affiliate, the Highway Loss Data Institute, has reported that collision insurance claims are filed 22 percent less frequently for motorcycles with antilocks than for those without it.
While I don't dispute the value of ABS, how much of this statistic is because the type of rider of a bike with ABS is different from the type of rider of a bike without? Very, very few squids are riding with ABS ... and most of the ABS bikes are a bit more expensive and targeted towards older, more experienced riders. Just a thought ...

Well I can say without a doubt that I am not a beginner when it comes to riding. No matter how good you are and how much you practice braking, $h!t happens beyond your control. I had a bad wreck when my rear tire on my first C10 locked. Then the C14 didn't lock when by all rights it would have had I not had ABS. There's nothing I could have done and not locked my brakes on the C14 had it not had ABS and not hit the car head on or crash into the rock cliffs. So I don't care how good you are. ABS is better. It may save your life. Don't be ignorant like I was thinking I could brake as good or better than ABS. Because sometime a situation may arise, and you do not want to find out the way I did!

I'm totally convinced that my next bike will definitely have ABS. Its probably the greatest advance in motorcycle safety since disk brakes.

Cap'n Bob said:
Well I can say without a doubt that I am not a beginner when it comes to riding. No matter how good you are and how much you practice braking, $h!t happens beyond your control. I had a bad wreck when my rear tire on my first C10 locked. Then the C14 didn't lock when by all rights it would have had I not had ABS. There's nothing I could have done and not locked my brakes on the C14 had it not had ABS and not hit the car head on or crash into the rock cliffs. So I don't care how good you are. ABS is better. It may save your life. Don't be ignorant like I was thinking I could brake as good or better than ABS. Because sometime a situation may arise, and you do not want to find out the way I did!
Oh, don't get me wrong ... I do agree with you, 100%. But that doesn't mean that my point isn't valid ... the vast majority of bikes sold don't have ABS. One the bikes that do have it as standard equipment, they tend to be higher end and targeting a very different type of rider than, say, the ZX-10 or Gixxer ... both of which are popular to with newer riders and both of which have far too much power for an inexperienced rider. These are the same squids that you see on 1 wheel doing 90 down the interstate. And let's be honest here ... these are the same types that would turn their nose up at a Connie as an "old man's bike" (yes, I did hear that once when I was drooling over a Connie @ the dealer - he was, I think, only half kidding) despite the fact that a Connie could pretty easily outrun them. So ... I don't think that all of that 37% is due to ABS alone. Certainly part of it is ... but not all of it. The other part is that bikes with ABS attract a different kind of rider - take a look at this list @ http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/2010/2010-motorcycles-with-abs.htm and tell me how many of the bikes on that list would be something a squid would ride ...
nni

JustJ said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Oh, don't get me wrong ... I do agree with you, 100%. But that doesn't mean that my point isn't valid ... the vast majority of bikes sold don't have ABS. One the bikes that do have it as standard equipment, they tend to be higher end and targeting a very different type of rider than, say, the ZX-10 or Gixxer ... both of which are popular to with newer riders and both of which have far too much power for an inexperienced rider. These are the same squids that you see on 1 wheel doing 90 down the interstate. And let's be honest here ... these are the same types that would turn their nose up at a Connie as an "old man's bike" (yes, I did hear that once when I was drooling over a Connie @ the dealer - he was, I think, only half kidding) despite the fact that a Connie could pretty easily outrun them. So ... I don't think that all of that 37% is due to ABS alone. Certainly part of it is ... but not all of it. The other part is that bikes with ABS attract a different kind of rider - take a look at this list @ http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/2010/2010-motorcycles-with-abs.htm and tell me how many of the bikes on that list would be something a squid would ride ...
nni

Very valid points. Most young guys and some girls do tend to gravitate to sport bikes. And until recently, they were not available with ABS. So the point of them having more crashes does have some validity. It is amazing how many squids you see doing stupid things. Not that other riders (a lot being much more experienced) don't do stupid stuff also. But I can say in my experience, the squids are hands down doing the majority of the unsafe riding that I see. The average younger age, something to prove attitude and lack of experience has to be a major factor in their crashing.

...a major factor in their crashing." And under-developed pre-frontal cortex and testosterone (sp?) in a huge supply. The later with the former is like adding fire to gasoline.  For most of us I think the pf cortex developed around age 30 :)  :))

Phil
COG5879
'99 'lectric

Many years ago the California Highway Patrol switched from the Kawasaki 1000 to BMW R1100RT's with ABS. At the time it was quite a victory for BMW.

In the first full year, after the changeover, the number of accidents involving CHP Motor Officers dropped by 89%. Most officers contribute this to having ABS on their new mounts.

For what it's worth.

This is a statement from the report.
Motorcycles equipped with antilock brakes have a 37 percent lower rate of fatal crashes than the same models without antilocks, Institute researchers have found.
So as you can see they did not include all models of motorcycles, just those that had a choice of with or without ABS.

Those stats are amazing.  I do believe them having applied the abs on my 08 a few months back.      Peopel often say that a "good rider" can match the results of abs.  I may believe that, but to do so even the "good rider" woudl need a glance for what the braking surface looks like. Oh, and unless that surface is flat, sticky and free of debris.....well, anyway, I am ok with letting the computer take over.