• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Independence Ride to Big W BBQ (NY) July 6th, 2013

Cap'n Bob

We've done this before and folks seemed to have a good time. So why not come out for some good vittles and some riding. We meet at three different locations for rides and meet at the Big W BBQ in Wingdale, NY. (or folks can ride their own ride and meet us there). This is scheduled for Saturday, July 6th (2013). We meet at one of the locations with a full tank of fuel by 8:30AM (kickstands up at 9AM) And away we go.
  Big W opens at noon so we tend to get there a little bit early for some tire kicking and such. The BBQ is excellent and worth the trip (if you enjoy BBQ). We tend to get a pretty good crowd, so this is a great way to meet folks. I included a link to the COGMOS posting on the calender of events. But I'll just copy and paste most of it here also. Hope to see ya'll there.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=176647

Independence Ride to Big W BBQ (NY)
What better way to continue the Independence Day celebration than to go for a ride and enjoy great BBQ. Like last year, the hope is to set up 3 meet points to kick off rides and make a three prong attack (like the three corner hat of the time) and converge on Big W BBQ for some great eats. Whether you meet us there or join in one of the rides, remember that Big W BBQ opens at 12PM.

Option 1) Meet the group at Big W BBQ (Big W does not open until noon)

Option 2) Meet at one of these designated meeting places before side stand up time with a full tank and empty bladder.

PRELIMINARY MEET INFO (subject to change)

1.WATERBURY CT - Steve Smith will lead a group meeting at Lena's Westside Deli, 702 Chase Pkwy, Waterbury CT (in front of Naugatuck Valley Community College and close to I-84, exit 18). Planning a 2 - 2.5 hour ride to arrive at Big W around 11:30. Meet at parking lot 8:30 AM. Sidestands up and prompt departure at 9:00 AM.  Arrive early if you want to get breakfast at the deli.

2.NEWBURGH NY - Bob Barbanti will lead a group from the Pilot Travel Center, (I-84 Exit 6) 239 Route 17K, Newburgh, NY.  Meet at  8:30 AM, Sidestands up at 9:00 AM.

3.WHITE PLAINS NY - Terry Faherty will lead a group from Dunkin Donuts, 755 North Broadway (Rt 22), White Plains, NY. Meet at  8:30 AM - Arrive early if you plan to get breakfast. Sidestands up at 9:00 AM.

I'm signed up.  Anyone coming from the north want to meet up and ride down?  I'm in the Catskill/Hudson area.

I'm planning on a 2.0-2.5 hour ride from the Waterbury, CT meet point. I hope to be able to post a route & GPS file by the week before. Please arrive at the meet point by 8:30 AM with stomachs and tank full so we can be side stands up and depart exactly at 9AM.  The deli is open SAT morning - arrive earlier if you wish to get something to eat.  The closest fuel is about 5 minutes from the meet point. Email or PM me if you need additional info

Let's hope for another great day, but just in case...  The activity will be cancelled if it is raining in the morning prior to departure.  Be sure to check this event's online calendar page the morning of to confirm the event status (upper right of the event page)  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=176647

BJ_CT said:
So which one of you guys will have the most near death experiences on their ride?

None I hope.... but you can spin off a sub-group with the specific goal of near death experiences.  ::)

Ah yes....fond memories......crouched in a train station rain shelter watching the lightening and hail on my way back upstate. But the Q was awesome and the company great as always.

I hope you all have a great time!! :beerchug:

kathybrj said:
Ah yes....fond memories......crouched in a train station rain shelter watching the lightening and hail on my way back upstate.
I still haven't figured out how I missed that.  I had blue sky and puffy clouds my whole ride home. 

And what would the ride be without heat and a chance for a thunderstorm?  I have read two different future forecasts for the area. Both say partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm (pretty much every summer day here anymore). The temps are the question. I get anywhere from 86 to 95 for the high temperatures of the day. Again, pretty much normal for a summer day and this ride. But obviously we're still days away and this could change. But so far we're looking good.  :motonoises:

Outback Jon said:
kathybrj said:
Ah yes....fond memories......crouched in a train station rain shelter watching the lightening and hail on my way back upstate.
I still haven't figured out how I missed that.  I had blue sky and puffy clouds my whole ride home.

Not sure Jon.....I left maybe 30 minutes behind you. What a wild afternoon!

hey Outback Jon..I'm coming from Chatham but.....I may be riding in the company of a lady riding a Harley who rides slow. Dont want to hold you back. I'll take 22 down

ReserveBum said:
hey Outback Jon..I'm coming from Chatham but.....I may be riding in the company of a lady riding a Harley who rides slow. Dont want to hold you back. I'll take 22 down
I can ride slow.  Don't mind it (too much) if I have company.  What time are you planning to be leaving?  I get out of work at 8AM in Hudson, so anytime works well for me.  Probably easy to meet you down in Millerton.  Or possibly in Hillsdale.

The route I planned out of Newburgh has quite a few turns on it. So if you're not much into curvy roads, Newburgh might not be the best trip. I'm sure Terry's taking folks up the highway!  :))

All fun at Terry's expense aside. The Newburgh ride will have a little of everything. Some nice hill and dale, river views, lots of turns, a nice bridge view crossing, and did I mention turns? By the way, the down side of the Newburgh ride is that you will need and EZ pass or $1.50 to cross the Bear Mountain Bridge. The Newburgh ride will kind of go a little south (obviously crossing at Bear Mountain), then back north and west. I should be about a two hour ride or maybe a hair more. Obviously a little longer if folks want to stop. This is of course if anyone shows up in Newburgh other than me. :))

Below is a possible 2.5 hour route I have in mind heading out from the Waterbury meet location.  There is a possible fuel within 10 miles of the meet point. We'll ride briskly at "The Pace."  I may have a Garmin GPS file ready by tonight (if the build of my new computer cooperates)

EDIT TO ADD ATTACHED GARMIN GPS FILE

HTML:
<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=41.547384, -73.071314&daddr=41.5425063,-73.0732205 to:41.5042065,-73.0817448 to:41.4945098,-73.1823102 to:41.5320403,-73.2254499 to:41.592339,-73.4649929 to:41.536081,-73.532818 to:41.541877,-73.6505542 to:41.5894001,-73.7199991 to:41.6201302,-73.7517786 to:41.6519069,-73.722715 to:Big W's Roadside Bar-B-Que, New York 22, Wingdale, NY&geocode=FXj2eQIdLgWl-w;FWrjeQIdvP2k-yl_13s3wsHniTGz2aWIyTg6tQ;Fc5NeQIdcNyk-ylhGH2qDMLniTFMevhGU-gk5Q;Fe0neQIdmlOj-ymzshnDLO_niTFfXHxpXGupyQ;FYi6eQIdF6ui-ykr155Liu7niTEw3TBloS8r2w;FROmegIdYAOf-ykjV5819vXniTHdP5LFzLpLZg;FVHKeQIdbvqd-yn1djCVvlndiTHQ3lVprB_3wA;FfXgeQIdhi6c-ynRvDP2slrdiTFWjT_aYd7-LQ;FZiaegIdQR-b-ylTFyLGSETdiTFh3rhbjKmVLw;FaISewIdHqOa-ymBr-6zq0bdiTH6sFkinvSl8A;FcKOewIdpRSb-ykV-ATes0PdiTGjhqeYJn2dQw;FUMtewIdR1ed-yF-G5-1CeFYZSm7mguCMVzdiTF-G5-1CeFYZQ&sll=41.502407,-73.22319&sspn=0.147846,0.220757&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=12&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=41.594905,-73.410645&spn=0.616215,0.823975&z=9&output=embed"></iframe>
<small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=41.547384, -73.071314&daddr=41.5425063,-73.0732205 to:41.5042065,-73.0817448 to:41.4945098,-73.1823102 to:41.5320403,-73.2254499 to:41.592339,-73.4649929 to:41.536081,-73.532818 to:41.541877,-73.6505542 to:41.5894001,-73.7199991 to:41.6201302,-73.7517786 to:41.6519069,-73.722715 to:Big W's Roadside Bar-B-Que, New York 22, Wingdale, NY&geocode=FXj2eQIdLgWl-w;FWrjeQIdvP2k-yl_13s3wsHniTGz2aWIyTg6tQ;Fc5NeQIdcNyk-ylhGH2qDMLniTFMevhGU-gk5Q;Fe0neQIdmlOj-ymzshnDLO_niTFfXHxpXGupyQ;FYi6eQIdF6ui-ykr155Liu7niTEw3TBloS8r2w;FROmegIdYAOf-ykjV5819vXniTHdP5LFzLpLZg;FVHKeQIdbvqd-yn1djCVvlndiTHQ3lVprB_3wA;FfXgeQIdhi6c-ynRvDP2slrdiTFWjT_aYd7-LQ;FZiaegIdQR-b-ylTFyLGSETdiTFh3rhbjKmVLw;FaISewIdHqOa-ymBr-6zq0bdiTH6sFkinvSl8A;FcKOewIdpRSb-ykV-ATes0PdiTGjhqeYJn2dQw;FUMtewIdR1ed-yF-G5-1CeFYZSm7mguCMVzdiTF-G5-1CeFYZQ&sll=41.502407,-73.22319&sspn=0.147846,0.220757&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=12&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=41.594905,-73.410645&spn=0.616215,0.823975&z=9" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Attachments

• Big W Ride 2013.gdb
    51.8 KB · Views: 87
K folks here's my garminized route for those who are so equipped.  I'll have 3 route sheets available for those luddites out there. ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.gdb
    40.7 KB · Views: 98
Cap'n Bob said:
  The route I planned out of Newburgh has quite a few turns on it. So if you're not much into curvy roads, Newburgh might not be the best trip. I'm sure Terry's taking folks up the highway!  :))

All fun at Terry's expense aside. The Newburgh ride will have a little of everything. Some nice hill and dale, river views, lots of turns, a nice bridge view crossing, and did I mention turns? By the way, the down side of the Newburgh ride is that you will need and EZ pass or $1.50 to cross the Bear Mountain Bridge. The Newburgh ride will kind of go a little south (obviously crossing at Bear Mountain), then back north and west. I should be about a two hour ride or maybe a hair more. Obviously a little longer if folks want to stop. This is of course if anyone shows up in Newburgh other than me. :))

You wound me, sir!  :))

Looks like we might run into each other on Rt 301 by the looks of it.  The beginning of my ride is a bit pedestrian but we need to get out of the built up areas before we can have fun.

Choices, choices...

I'll flip a coin at the NJ-NY border.

Heads = Tappan Zee and white Plains.

Tails = Thruway and Newburgh.

Either way, one of you loses and I show up on your ride.  :nananana:

:67:  shhhhhh....  Stay quiet and keep your head down... Maybe he'll stay out of CT.

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Choices, choices...

I'll flip a coin at the NJ-NY border.

Heads = Tappan Zee and white Plains.

Tails = Thruway and Newburgh.

Either way, one of you loses and I show up on your ride.  :nananana:

Jon - can meet you at the Stewarts in Hillsdale. Anytime convenient for you. Probably 1.25 hour if we just take 22

ReserveBum said:
Jon - can meet you at the Stewarts in Hillsdale. Anytime convenient for you. Probably 1.25 hour if we just take 22
Stewart's at 10AM then.  That gives us plenty of time to wander down to Wingdale. 

Hey guys I'm really bummed out I'm going to have to miss this years ride to Big W.  I had a death in the family on 7/4.  :(

Gigantor said:
Hey guys I'm really bummed out I'm going to have to miss this years ride to Big W.  I had a death in the family on 7/4.  :(

Very sorry to hear that.  We'll miss you, big guy.

Outback Jon said:
ReserveBum said:
Stewart's at 10AM then.  That gives us plenty of time to wander down to Wingdale.
If I'm not there by 10:20, assume I may not be coming.  I'm subject to mandatory overtime at work, and though I should get out in the morning, that isn't guaranteed.

If I'm just running late, and I'm not going to get to Hillsdale, I'll be waiting in the parking lot of Four Brothers Restaurant in Millerton. (On the left, on Rt. 22, just as you are getting into Millerton.)

If I'm not there, I'm not coming, or I'll catch up to you.  :motonoises: 

Gigantor said:

Alex, condolences for your loss. See you next time.

Well it's 76 degrees at 4:30 AM in Wingdale. Today looks good with only 10% chance of rain today. (although it pops up to 30% later on in the day) The humidity should be around 60% for the ride, which isn't bad. Although they say a high of 93 degrees. But the hourly temps only show in the 80's. So it could be a decent day. A typical July riding day.  Hope to see y'all in a few hours. :motonoises:

Gigantor said:

My condolences Alex. We'll be thinking about you. You will be missed.

Thanks for the sentiments guys.  I was having a get together at my house on the 4th and while my sons girlfriend was getting ready her father went to walk the dog.  An hour later they went looking for him and found him being entered into an ambulance.  He passed away a little while later.

See you guys soon,
Alex

Since most there were concerned about one of our own, here is an update on Mr & Mrs Railgun... I swung by on the way home and the bike was gone. Touched base to find out Will had minor injuries and bruised ego. Vicky has cracked rib and minor concussion. We all glad you guys are OK and wish you a speedy recovery - I hope you will join us another time.

It was a nice day. I enjoyed the riding (more there than back). I was kind of hot and tired by the time I got home. But a cool shower, a cool beverage and a little relaxation time in the AC, made me feel much better.
  I want to thank folks for coming out yet again. The three prong attack, plus all the additional folks who met us there, made for a decent turn out. This does surprise me that more than just Steve, Terry and I are willing to ride out in humid 90+ degree weather, just for lunch. What's wrong with us?  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
  This does surprise me that more than just Steve, Terry and I are willing to ride out in humid 90+ degree weather, just for lunch. What's wrong with us?  :))

What's surprising Bob? Good food and great people!  :great:

S Smith said:
Since most there were concerned about one of our own, here is an update on Mr & Mrs Railgun... I swung by on the way home and the bike was gone. Touched base to find out Will had minor injuries and bruised ego. Vicky has cracked rib and minor concussion. We all glad you guys are OK and wish you a speedy recovery - I hope you will join us another time.

Thanks for the update Steve.  Hearing 2-up riders going down hits close to home.

Thanks Bob for a great route, even if you were "winging" half of it due to routing issues.  Was nice meeting everyone, food was delish.  Felicia and I had a great time.  Ride safe.

Just got settled in back at the barn after a side trip to a housewarming in NJ...VERY warm!  ;)

Great to see everyone again and thanks to Wayne and Jon for the cigars.  It sure is nice to  be in A/C tho! :))

Thanks for hosting this guys! The BBQ was tasty, worth the 202 mile ride. Thanks for the lead Terry, nice roads up to Wingdale. We hot footed it back to Jersey via slab. 380 total miles for the day.

Hot as Alighieri's third circle today...

Very enjoyable getogether. Food & company was great. My wife Geri liked her first COG experience alot. We had a 333 mile round trip.

Thanks Guys, for putting this together.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Very disappointed that we couldn't make it this year.  Too much stuff going on.  Looks like everyone had a grand time.

Sorry to hear of the loss in your family, Gigantor.