• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installing a header?

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Cruise over to my vendor area and read up on installing anti reversion cones for increasing low rpm performance with no hp loss . I did a lot of experimenting, and I’m applying this in a different way than I’ve seen anywhere else - after the collector. And it works. Look for the threads “… getting your torque back” . Enjoy. Steve

Steve, after your postings about this with the Black Widow header, I tried the 1-5/8" reducer and liked the difference I felt in the way the bike performed. I ran it for a season then tried the 1-1/2" reducer. With the 1-1/2" reducer it seemed to sharpen the throttle a little more and low RPM torque was still very strong but I felt like it was loosing some performance at WOT. Last summer I went back to the 1-5/8" reducer and couldn't be happier. Did you ever get a bike with the 1-1/2" reducer on the dyno?

Hello
I use in the 4/1 of the sidecar, the cyclone effect just before the entry of the silencer, it accelerates the gas outputs and it works well

1679297091-20170502-111130.jpg

Hello Steve. I'm thinking about doing this on my 09 Connie Area-P system. Has any of your customers done an exhaust reducer/anti-reversion cone on their Area-P system, and if so, what was the outcome..? Looks interesting...Sean

1) yes. 2) they liked it. I have the pn for the reducer around somewhere. I’ll look around , maybe it’s on my shoodaben engineering Facebook page, maybe even in the conversations posted in my vendor area here. See what you can find.

Use Suzuki header gaskets - they are much better quality than the Kaw ones. P/n 14181-18C00

Hello Steve. Any luck with the PN for the reducer ?

Sean
yes, use an exhaust reducer from AP; PN AP8653. It's 2.25" OD x 1.75" ID . OR you can use AP8657, it's 2.25"OD x 1.875" ID. Cut it and fit it down into the midpipe. You can order it from Summit racing, and maybe even your local auto parts store.

If you're a scaredy type, use the AP8657.

Steve

Last edited:
yes, use an exhaust reducer from AP; PN AP8938. It's 2.25" od x 1.75" ID . Cut it and fit it down into the midpipe. You can order it from Summit racing, and maybe even your local auto parts store.

Steve
That PN says its 2.25'' x 2'' , is this the right one or is 1.75'' the preffered ID ?

I tried Steve's idea on my dual muffler header system.
The duals made things a bit more difficult as I had to install differing sized reducers "in both sides" to gage the effect.
With my experimenting I was able to see that the differing combinations definitely changed the torque curve.
ie; They made the torque curve tunable.

Bottom line;
The idea works, and just needs some fine tuning to get the best combination for a person's wants.
Luckily Steve has already done a lot of the fine tuning on most of the available header systems. (except mine :cry:)

Try it. You'll like it!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud
Just finished reading your vendor page regarding the reducer. Just as a clarification, I ordered both the AP Eastern PN # 8653 and 8657. This is the part numbers that will fit the Area/P exhaust, correct ? The reason I ask is Turbojoe I believe is running a AreaP system and posted photos of a 2 inch OD and 1 5/8 ID reducer. The part numbers you provided are 2.25 OD and 1.75 ID or 1.875 ID. Just want to make sure I ordered the proper reducers. They are enroute from Rock Auto...Sean

Muzzy is correct. I liked the performance of the Muzzy, but not how loud it was. connie_rider is also correct. A couple years back I put a Black Widow header on it and feel I have the best of all worlds "for me".
Joe, can you tell us the difference in the torque/performance between the 2 systems?
I think we can all guess, but would like to see a report from you.

Ride safe, Ted

*** Never mind; I just found it.

Last edited: