• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Interest in 2013 National travel. Possible group rate hotel on way up/down

OMoaC

From Cedar City UT to ID Falls straight up the slab a little over 450m. If anyone from the SW area wants to hook up and overnight in Cedar City let me know. Were coming from the Vegas area. From LA proper your looking at 6 to 8 hrs to Cedar City. If we get enough folks maybe we can get a group rate at a hotel there. Enough interest and I'll try to make the ride from CC to ID falls interesting w/o adding to many miles. I'd bet Postrucks has some insight on routes. I suspect alot of other members have some good routes too. It's only a year away and you know how fast time flies when you get Old. :beerchug:
Rider count so far:
OMoaC 2
DGold  2
Rusty  2
Postrucks  1

Sounds good to me.....count my wife and I in!! We will be coming from LA,really Orange county!  :motonoises:

DGOLD said:
I've called the Hotel at the Falls and booked my room for the wife and I starting on the Sunday night and am wondering if Cedar City would be for Friday or Saturday night. We should see what day/night the South West members are planing on starting. I'd like to get a group coalescing  in LA or Victorville or other area if possible and riding on to CC. It would be great ride in together as a group and show the east coasters we do exist.
+1 Was thinking the same way. I'm thinking CC Sat night into the national Sun night ready to let the fun begin. Then CC the following Fri (My bad, SAT NIGHT) night on the way home. Input?

I've called the Hotel at the Falls and booked my room for the wife and I starting on the Sunday night and am wondering if Cedar City would be for Friday or Saturday night. We should see what day/night the South West members are planing on starting. I'd like to get a group coalescing  in LA or Victorville or other area if possible and riding on to CC. It would be great ride in together as a group and show the east coasters we do exist.

Sounds good to me.....We are ready!! What hotel did you get reservations at? +2  :motonoises:

Rusty said:
Sounds good to me.....We are ready!! What hotel did you get reservations at? +2  :motonoises:
None yet. Gonna call around this weekend and see what the requirements are for a group rate. Stayed at the holiday inn express last time through. Nice amenities and front of the room bike parking. Right on the little downtown strip with walk to eateries and all the little kitsch shops. I think so far were looking at 3 rooms. Hope we get more action than that from the SW group. I'll post up a link and whatever info I find out. I'll do mileage checks from DT L.A. for reference checks. Crossing that desert in August is gonna be an SOB!

That sounds good Mark ( Mr. Old Man on Connie) on the Hotel checking....as for the heat, it is a DRY heat and we will be starting early in the morning to get a jump on it.
Thank you on working on the link and as the days go on I am sure we will have a great turn out from California and the rest of the Southwest area!
:beerchug:  :motonoises:

No Sweat Rusty. From LA proper to CC 440 miles. From Bakersfield 454, from San Diego proper 500 even. Use these as baselines. From CC to Idaho Falls 462. This all slab and done by mapquest. I know some roads around CC that will get us the same place with a few more miles and better scenery. I'm gonna lay on Postrucks for some advice here. I'll get back to work now. :beerchug:

I'm planning on going up as well.

Thinking of going up US-89 for a ways, trying to get as far as possible the first day.

Any places to stay that way, maybe Richfield, Salina, or a little farther along?

CaffeineMan said:
I'm planning on going up as well.

Thinking of going up US-89 for a ways, trying to get as far as possible the first day.

Any places to stay that way, maybe Richfield, Salina, or a little farther along?
Hey Cman. Hows the wing? Stayed in Orem/Provo on the way back from the bun cooler. About 6 to 8 hrs down the 15 to Vegas proper. Not sure of mileage on your route. Probably to big of a pull for the folks from the So in 1 day though.

The wing is good.  I'm actually thinking of the following route up:

Day 1 - Pahrump to Bryce Canyon
Day 2- Bryce to Vernal, UT
Day 3 - Vernal to Idaho Falls, through Wyoming (Flaming Gorge, then US-26).

And back, through NV to avoid the Labor Day traffic:
Day 1 - Idaho Falls to Ely
Day 2 - Ely to Pahrump

Now I have 1 year to lose weight and get in long distance riding shape.  ;D

I like that return route through Ely. Are you thinking the 93 south or 6 west? I've done the stretch from Tonopah south and other than a speeding ticket once and looking at a LOW FUEL flashing before my eyes another time it has little appeal.The 93 south looks pretty lonely also but may be a nice change. Either way the last stretch into Southern California will be a bear on Monday if I wait that long.

Room rates for the above linked Hotel Sat Aug. 24 and Sat 31st. We need to book at least 10 rooms. If we get over 20 the discount deepens. Quoted rooms are king, grd floor town side, front of room pkg $79.99 +tax. That's 10 bucks a night discount. I noticed on the website that non refundable rates are cheaper so I'll hit that angle too. Dgold, have you ever done Rt66 from Barstow to needles then up to Vegas. Still straight and flat but interesting and all 2 lane. No slab.

DGOLD said:
I like that return route through Ely. Are you thinking the 93 south or 6 west? I've done the stretch from Tonopah south and other than a speeding ticket once and looking at a LOW FUEL flashing before my eyes another time it has little appeal.The 93 south looks pretty lonely also but may be a nice change. Either way the last stretch into Southern California will be a bear on Monday if I wait that long.

93 all the way to I-15.  Really just a way of getting home as fast as possible while avoiding traffic.

With friends in Reno, I have gone through Tonopah enough times already.

I have stayed at that Best Western T/C before on a M/C trip.....very nice and you can park right in front of your room....Good choice. I have also stayed at the Abbey Inn and that is very nice too and has a good breakfast. Probably cost more though. Thanks for checking. I will be reserving a room soon.  :motonoises:

Rally central at the falls. The guy told me there was 149 already reserved. Sounded high and after looking at other posts he was probably BS'ing me.

I've been watching this thread with great interest, I plan to go with you guys. I have a few suggestions to throw out there. First let me say that I'm not a big fan of the super slab although the big Kawi handles it with greater ease than any bike I've ever rode.
Starting in Cedar City I15 north is really not that bad until about Spanish Fork, then along the Wasatch Front it just plain sucks until north of Ogden (sorry Utah brothers).  Having said all that if the goal is to just get there fast there isn't much that can be done different. But if the one day super slab could be broken up into say one and a half or maybe two then we have some room to play with.
Possibilities
starting at CC go east on ut st rd 14. This is a very twisty fun road to ride, then off 14 to 148 to 143 around Panguitch lake to Panguitch(70 miles). Then north on hwy 89 through lots of small towns (read speed traps) to Gunnison (110 miles). Then north on st rd 132 to Mount Nebo loop road coming out at Payson (80 miles). Then on I15 north until 800 North exit in Orem taking 189 up Provo Canyon up the mountain around Deer Creek Resevoir (37 miles)to Heber (7miles). Then north on 40 to I80 west bound to 65 and 66 then 167 to 39 west back towards Ogden picking up 89 again north (82 miles). From there into Brigham City (25 miles) and then east to Logan (25 miles)and up Logan canyon around the west side of Bear Lake all on 89. Then on to Montpiller (70 miles)to Soda Springs on 30. From there west to I15 to Pocatello (87 miles) and then Idaho Falls (53miles). Estimated miles 576!!! A great half way stopping point would be Heber City. On most of the way this route is not to far off of I15 so if needing to make up time it would be easy to drop back to the super slab. For the most part this is more scenic and more fun but the trade off is its alot slower and quite a few more miles. Any suggestions or comments are welcome, I have rode or driven on these roads, some recently and some quite a few years ago. With alot of these mountain roads conditions change alot from year to year and of course there is always road construction going on. So we have to be flexible in our planning.
Let me say that I don't want to step on any toes or change up everyone's plans....I just want to throw out some suggestions for consideration. 

I had been hoping to leave Southern California that Friday Eve. to avoid what I believe will be a pizza oven during the day  (Saturday). Maybe we could spend Saturday night further north. At this point I am not committed to any overnight location but the 15 is not very appealing and I am willing to add a couple of hours riding to keep off of it. I would like arriving at Idaho Springs Sunday night but some evening riding is OK with me.

I agree with all. Postrucks, any good places to stay about 100 miles past CC. I like your routes. I'm with Dgold and want to get into ID falls on Sun. just don't want anyone from the southern area to stretch to far. Maybe a Fri night in Vegas David? We've got a lot of time to plan and would really like a big group to represent from the SW. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Pos, can I put you on the rider's so far list?

All sounds good to us! Anyway you want to go is fine. Just love riding,though I do like it better off the slab and when it is not too hot (over 100)! Still have not made any reservations yet.......Is the Hotel on the Falls the main Rally Hotel? Is there are any other Hotels people are checking out?  :motonoises:

Rusty said:
All sounds good to us! Anyway you want to go is fine. Just love riding,though I do like it better off the slab and when it is not too hot (over 100)! Still have not made any reservations yet.......Is the Hotel on the Falls the main Rally Hotel? Is there are any other Hotels people are checking out?  :motonoises:
Was on a call last night and there are around 30 to 35 reserved at the falls so far (big dif from 149 I know). Can't beat the rate. $70 bucks poolside. Check the National 2013 rally thread. I think a guy mentioned a decent place across the street. I'm thinking we keep CC as a center point. For those coming into say Vegas of fri can enjoy riding up through Zion and Cedar breaks and the back side into CC. For those coming direct from places south CC isn't to mjch of a stretch. Then we can use Postrucks routes on Sun up and those that choose can jump on the slab for time or enjoy the backcountry. I've rode those some routes and they are fantastic. Thoughts?

Excellent suggestion Mark, for those who have the time and have never been to this route here are some suggestions ;from St. George go north on I15 and take the Hurricane/Zion National Park exit east to Hurricane. Turn left after going through town when coming to the T intersection (I think it is a light, can't remember, and there is signs). Then you go north until the Zion turnoff. If you miss the turn you end up in Torkerville....the only town that I know of where it is illegal not to own a gun! Then on through the little towns of Virgin and Springdale and into Zions. Zion is a fantastic park that you can only see a small although awesome part. You can drive all the way through the park west/east(it costs $15 for motorcycles). There are two tunnels that you go through. If you have time you can park and take the shuttle up Zion canyon which runs north/south(you can't park your bike/vehicle in the park and to take the shuttle up the canyon you park at the westside entrance. The shuttle stops at many places/trailheads that you can spend time hiking/sight seeing. For more info go to the Zion website.  So after riding through the park to the east side continue on until reaching hwy 89. Left turn on 89 going north to Tod's junction. It's basically a gas station. Turn left go west bound towards Duck Creek. This road winds back to Cedar City. You are going over the Mountain to Cedar City. There are options, you can go over to Cedar Breaks, go to Brian Head and even down Parowan Canyon ending up on I15. You could do this loop in a half day without stopping to many times. There is alot to see. I've seen elk, deer and big horn sheep in this area many times. Because of the wildlife you don't want to be on the road after dark on a bike. I'm trying to figure out how to post a google map or maybe Mark can and this would make more sense. More to come.

Just did that route a couple of months ago and I agree it is fantastic and well worth riding!! When we were on the road through Duck Creek going to Cedar City the road was closed because of an avalanche during the winter. We traveled through Brian Head (very steep descent) back to I 15 down to Cedar City and back to Las Vegas. Should be open now. Saw lots of wildlife too!  :motonoises:

I MAY go it all depends on school.  They keep changing start times of fall semester.  this year it begins on August 20th.  So I really want to go, but I need to wait a bit.

Mike said:
  I MAY go it all depends on school.  They keep changing start times of fall semester.  this year it begins on August 20th.  So I really want to go, but I need to wait a bit.
Dig the EGA Mike. When and where? Me '79 to 84. SDBC, Redstone AL, the stumps, the rock, Pendleton, back to the stumps, Bridgeport CA, back to the P. 3rd tanks, 1st Force, 3rd Force, 1/1 and 1/9. Semper Fi brother. :beerchug:

Old Man on a Connie said:
Mike said:
Dig the EGA Mike. When and where? Me '79 to 84. SDBC, Redstone AL, the stumps, the rock, Pendleton, back to the stumps, Bridgeport CA, back to the P. 3rd tanks, 1st Force, 3rd Force, 1/1 and 1/9. Semper Fi brother. :beerchug:

'83 - '89  Stationed KMCAS Kaneohe Bay HI, Subic Bay, Iwakuni, Kadena, Spent quite a few time on carries, USS Carl Vincent, USS Okinawa, USS Guam.  Did 2 WestPac deployments, 1 Bear Hunt Exercise.  1st Mar Div, HMM-261, Then I was in MAG-24/SOMS-24  I started as a asst crew chief and halfway through my time I became a SAR swimmer, and spent the remaining 3 years based in Hawaii :) :beerchug:

Mike said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
Mike said:

'83 - '89  Stationed KMCAS Kaneohe Bay HI, Subic Bay, Iwakuni, Kadena, Spent quite a few time on carries, USS Carl Vincent, USS Okinawa, USS Guam.  Did 2 WestPac deployments, 1 Bear Hunt Exercise.  1st Mar Div, HMM-261, Then I was in MAG-24/SOMS-24  I started as a asst crew chief and halfway through my time I became a SAR swimmer, and spent the remaining 3 years based in Hawaii :) :beerchug:
You dog. Hots and a cots everynight with the rotorheads huh. We used to raid Kadena and Iwakuni chow halls for the good stuff. Look forward to meeting you. :great:

Route from Postrucks CC to ID falls. Looks like fun.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209771733868082526036.0004c409324a5847cce68&msa=0&ll=37.952861,-110.126953&spn=4.105873,9.832764

This route looks great. It has plenty of access to the 15 if our timetable requires. My first question is this route is reasonable for a one day ride? Remember, we will be riding 2-4 hundred miles most days that week already. I hope to go to Jackson, Yellowstone, Tetons, ect. The ride home is less of a concern because we have an extra day due to the holiday. Can't believe this trip is still more than a year away!

Aggressive but doable. I think thats the key to the jump outs on the 15. Lots of various routes combos. I've done most of this but never that north pass. Did Yellowstone/teton/Jackson hole on the way back from the cooler and you defenitley don't want to miss that. Be posting that route soon. Gonna be doing a pre run in Sept. through Flagstaff, four corners up through Co and back down ID and No NV. Just under 2k from Vegas. 4 days. Anyone interested? :motonoises:

i would like the chance to meet up with some of you guys if your going to the cog rally through cedar city.at this time im not sure if i can go or not money and vacation time have to be worked out and its a year away so i think i can pull it off. i live in cedar city and would be glad to be of help if i can to any cog members going through.

scooter said:
i would like the chance to meet up with some of you guys if your going to the cog rally through cedar city.at this time im not sure if i can go or not money and vacation time have to be worked out and its a year away so i think i can pull it off. i live in cedar city and would be glad to be of help if i can to any cog members going through.
Your more than welcome to join up and thanks for the offer Scooter. C U in August 2013 if not sooner. :beerchug:

Resurrecting this thread as the National approaches and the Red Rock'n Rally is set. :motonoises:

Hey, don't forget to pick up the Northern Utah contingent in Heber City for National!  There will be at least 2 of us that I'm aware of (maybe more by August).  Maybe Colorado folks could meet us there as well and we could "flock" into the falls!!

Time to revive this thread. Here's the Old Mans Plans. Because of the different departure/return dates. Me and the counterweight ( the Counterweight and I?) are leaving the Vegas area on Friday and overnighting in Jackpot NV (just So of Twin Falls ID) then into Idaho falls on Sat. Ride, Dine, Raft and Rally then leave Friday Morn and head back down through CO back into Vegas area Sat/Sun. Anyone and everyone that wants to jump in is more than welcome and let me know. Cedar City UT is still a good layover point for those coming in from CA and AZ area's and I think everyone knows now a good hotel to stay at. Lemme know if anyone wants to join up and we can share more details.
C U in Idaho Falls.
Mark

Just before leaving our SW rally I made reservations at Town and Country for both the Saturday before and after the National. I will probably trailer again. If a spouse wants a take section of the trip in my Crew Cab truck they are welcome to it. From  Los Angeles to Cedar City to Idaho Falls and return trip. Maybe I could ride along then (if my wife has company in the truck).

So its been awhile since we made plans to ride to the national from Cedar City. Who is still planning to go on Sunday?

postrucks said:
So its been awhile since we made plans to ride to the national from Cedar City. Who is still planning to go on Sunday?

Hey Jim,

I am planning on leaving Sunday morning, but I"m about 6 hours ahead of you.  Soooo........

Mike

Ok Mike, not sure who is going from the south, it might be just me meeting up with you. I'm thinking of leaving Cedar around  7am, which would put me in Heber  around 12 noon depending on if we run the nebo route.

postrucks said:
Ok Mike, not sure who is going from the south, it might be just me meeting up with you. I'm thinking of leaving Cedar around  7am, which would put me in Heber  around 12 noon depending on if we run the nebo route.

It's only 3.5 from here on the slab I think.  Let me know your final plans and maybe I'll hang around so we could ride in together.

Mike, it looks like there is little to no interest in this group ride, so I'm changing my plans and leaving on
Friday morning to meet a buddy in Glacier National Park for a pre-national ride. I will see you in I.F. Tuesday or so.

postrucks said:
Mike, it looks like there is little to no interest in this group ride, so I'm changing my plans and leaving on
Friday morning to meet a buddy in Glacier National Park for a pre-national ride. I will see you in I.F. Tuesday or so.

No worries Jim, got some locals looking at leaving Sunday morning as well.  Probably be hooking up with them.  Have a great ride and be safe.  See you there!