• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Interest in LA area ride 5/18 or 6/1?

dcman98

Moped
I'm considering setting up a ride, though I've never done it before. My thought is meet at Norms in Van Nuys, head out at 9:30. Head north to Vasquez Rocks for a picture (perhaps for the cover of the Concourier?) Then up to Palmdale, then head west, then south to Castaic Lake, then on to Fillmore, through Camarillo, and a late lunch at Neptune's Net. Google Maps puts it at 156 miles and 4 hours. I would then be heading home down PCH to the 10, but anyone from the valley may prefer to head north from there.

Here's the map. I haven't ridden these roads, so any route change suggestions would be welcome.

http://goo.gl/maps/tmyDC

dcman98 said:
I'm considering setting up a ride, though I've never done it before. My thought is meet at Norms in Van Nuys, head out at 9:30. Head north to Vasquez Rocks for a picture (perhaps for the cover of the Concourier?) Then up to Palmdale, then head west, then south to Castaic Lake, then on to Fillmore, through Camarillo, and a late lunch at Neptune's Net. Google Maps puts it at 156 miles and 4 hours. I would then be heading home down PCH to the 10, but anyone from the valley may prefer to head north from there.

Here's the map. I haven't ridden these roads, so any route change suggestions would be welcome.

http://goo.gl/maps/tmyDC
Looks like a sweet route David. Here's your chance So Cal. Get in there and get some. Here's a guy willing to put on a ride. Support him and get some quality saddle time too. David, Thanks for posting and let me know what I can do to help. I'll be watching this thread and if you get a date set let me know and we'll get it on the calendar.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

David, Count me in either day....probably rather go 5/18. Looks like a good route to me too. Never been on a couple of the roads and if we could stay off the 14 more I would like it. Neptune's Net is a fun stop and from there I can head south back home. My wife may want to come on her bike too.  :motonoises:

I could do 6-1. It would be advisable to start earlier because it could get hot. Another question is how much slab vs. Twisties? The map on the OP did not load a specific path but give me a day or so and I will present my version of favorite local roads with some of your landmarks. By the way a stop at Neptunes Net can be two hours and in the middle of the worst speed trap of So. Cal.(could go target practicing for cyclists on Mullulond though). Of course many consider Neptunes an important stop if you have never been, also the Rock Store is not too far from there and is just as notable. Any options would still be great!

Depending on where everyone starts Norms is inexpensive and easy to find but it is buried deep in high traffic area, Could we start maybe closer to the 210 freeway?
Now that I checked your map on a desktop the path comes up almost like mine!
One of the hidden gems close to the city is Little Tujunga Road, A little technical but a good way to warm up. This run has many possible variations but give you a good taste of my local Twisties.

Just a thought, don't want to take over your thread DCMAN98.

http://mapq.st/ZXUIWq

I appreciate all the input and suggestions. I've been to Neptune's Net a couple of times, and the CHP does keep the reigns tight over there, but I find their food quite tasty. I've never made it out to Vasquez Rocks, so I don't know if that would be a worthwhile stop. As for the starting location, I'm coming up from the 405 and the 10, but LA is so spread out that a start near several freeways makes it easier for people coming from multiple directions. I went with Norm's because I like their Belgian waffle with strawberries, but if anyone knows a good place to meet in Pacoima, that would put us right near the 118 and 210. I'm also fine with an earlier start time, say 8:30?

IHOP. 12843 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar, CA 91342

Mcdonalds - 12950 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar in Sylmar,

June 1 would be best for me.

The following weekend is Cedar City.

Date Set? I'll put on the calendar. You'all know I want to fill every weekend.  :) Way to step up. :great:

Let's make it official.

Set the date for 6/1

We'll depart from McDonalds at 11240 GlenOaks Blvd, near Van Nuys Blvd, in Pacoima. We'll take Little Tujunga Canyon over to Vasquez Rocks, then around to Palmdale, then over to Castaic Lake, down to Camarillo, and end at Neptune's Net. We'll set the departure time for 8:30. Anything else I need to include in this?

Looking forward to this.

David

I had some open time this morning and went to reconnoiter Vasquez Rocks, A couple of great places for a group photo but beware, 1/2 mile gravel and dirt from the gate to the points of interest! It is very hard pack and smooth but I thought it should be announced because some of you treat your baby very tenderly.

It had already started getting warm this morning which made me realize Palmdale could be avoided if we wanted. The alternative would be Bouquet Canyon Road which is tree covered with lots of tight turns  and is probably 10 degrees cooler. Point of warning - several bad bike tragedies- one needs to be sane because this road begs performance.

Here is another alternative that would keep us off the slab but might be too much of a good thing. I could do alternate routes up here all day and drive you guys crazy, of course we can decide at the start of the ride or make changes as the day goes.

http://mapq.st/11KeC5r

I can do 6/1. Good shakedown for Cedar City run. I'll watch this thread for updates. Just got new tires, Lamm seat, and Heli Horizons so I need seat time looking forward to it.

David, PM'd ya. You out there. Looks like you got something going on! :great: :beerchug:

DGold, thanks for the recon and the suggestions.  I am hoping to get out there tomorrow. I like the idea of taking Soledad Canyon to Agua Dulce Canyon. I think Bouquet canyon is a good alternative to riding the 14 to Palmdale, and by Google maps, the routes take about the same time so people could even go both ways. There is a parking lot at the south tip of Castaic Lagoon which could be a regroup point.

I think that riding up to Vasquez Rocks will be a decision to be made that morning, by the people who come for the ride.

Vasquez Rocks to Castaic Lake, and Castaic Lake to Neptune's Net are each about 90 minutes. Is that a good leg length?

In regards to going the 126 over the hills to Camarillo, any recommendations between Grimes Canyon or Balcom Canyon or another route?

I look forward to meeting you all and having a great ride.

David

How'z this ride coming along folks? See 3 reg. Get out there and git some. :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

Didn't realize we could actually register in the member area. Easy and very professional! Great job Mark!
I just hope some forum only members think they can't join in.
The more the better!

DGOLD said:
Didn't realize we could actually register in the member area. Easy and very professional! Great job Mark!
I just hope some forum only members think they can't join in.
The more the better!
Open to the public so everyone can jump in. So everyone knows you don't have to register but it helps planning and head count. Really excited to get some action in the So Cal area. Looking forward to the ride report and Pics. Getya in the next Concourier. Bill 'll make ya famous. Pretty soon you guy's will be marrying Kardashian sisters.  :-\ :))
Should have posted the link here too for registration. :-[
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=186017&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013%2D06%2D08%27%7D

I think I can do at least part of it. I vote for bouquet canyon. No off-roading for me. I am too clumsy.
See you at Norms, which I live 2 blocks from.

Re: Interest in LA area ride 5/18 or 6/1?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »

Let's make it official.

Set the date for 6/1

We'll depart from McDonalds at 11240 GlenOaks Blvd, near Van Nuys Blvd, in Pacoima. We'll take Little Tujunga Canyon over to Vasquez Rocks, then around to Palmdale, then over to Castaic Lake, down to Camarillo, and end at Neptune's Net. We'll set the departure time for 8:30. Anything else I need to include in this?

Looking forward to this.

I have had something come up in the morning so I will try to catch up with you folks a little later -- since I am in the Thousand Oaks area.

DGOLD said:
Re: Interest in LA area ride 5/18 or 6/1?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »

Let's make it official.

Set the date for 6/1

Looking forward to this.
See you all then...probably get there around 8am....May have another rider or two come with me.  :motonoises:

Bad news from me.

Got cut off (intentionally) this morning on my way to work, and couldn't keep her upright. Was nearly stopped, so I only lost a footpeg, but it looks as though I won't be able to make the ride. Can someone else step up and run this, there isn't much to do but let everyone know where the stops are.

Have fun, and (this section is blank because it does not meet with the expectations of politeness expected of COG members) other drivers.

David

I'll come out to Pacoima tomorrow morning to meet all the riders, and send you guts off. Sad that I won't be able to join you.

Great ride on Saturday. We all met at the McDonalds in Pacoima. 4 Riders including Dave-DGOLD, Jay-Cigar Jay, David-dcman98, and myself. David who started the thread could not come, lost a foot peg when he was cutoff by a driver. Dave led us on a great adventure through the mountains and canyons of Southern California. Fantastic fun! Stopped at Vasquez Rocks-Very Cool! In Santa Clarita almost ran into the 19,000 acre fire that was raging, but of course no problem winding around it. Rode toward Camarillo and that was where Dave had to leave us. Jay and I headed towards Oxnard, stopped for a moment at Neptune's Net in Malibu. Too crowded stopped for a quick bite nearby and continued down through Malibu. Jay got off by Torrance and finished up in Trabuco Canyon with 330 extra fun miles added! Started from my house at 6:30am got home around 5pm. Great day with Temps running from 70-100 degrees. Pictures will be soon coming.
Thanks again to Dave and Jay! Need to go out again soon.  :motonoises:  :beerchug:  :great:

Great Day of riding, next time I will put sun block on the back of my neck!
Here we are at Vasquez Rock

Attachments

• IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 119
Nice pic. Sorry I missed the ride. Glad everyone had fun. I will have to make it next time. I note there were only C14's there. You guys needed a C10 for some nostalgic ambiance!

I'm heading to Utah this Friday for the regional meet. Anybody else heading that way?

Attila, we are sorry you missed the ride too. We had a good time. We have a group of 4 bikes and 5 persons leaving around 5am (Time not set yet) Friday. You are welcome to join us or meet us somewhere along the road.  Let me know.  :motonoises:

Sounds good. Where you folks leaving from? I assume you will just go to the 15 and then through Vegas etc.... correcto?

Attila ,we are leaving from South Orange County and you are right.....15 straight up unless we want to go off the beaten track. Could meet you anywhere along the route. Are you coming from Thousand Oaks? Maybe meet somewhere in Rancho Cucamonga on the 15?  Also, Dave (DGOLD) is coming from Santa Clarita. I have not talked with him yet on his plan or when he is leaving.  As soon as our plans are set I will let you by a PM.

Any other questions PM me or leave comments for all to check.  :motonoises:  :great:

Thanks. If you let me know what your plans are I will try to catch you folks. I don't want to put 5 people out just to arrange a meeting. Either way I will be leaving around 5am on Friday morning so chances are we may run across each other anyway.