• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Introducing the All-New Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R

If I ever win the lotto, I'll paint my C14 that ninja green.

It's a beautiful color and the new Ninja looks amazing.

The color looks like a redo of the ZX14 green from a couple of years ago. But that's alright with me. I love that color. The problem I do have with this new ZX14. Well a lot of folks installed the ZX14 dual exhaust on their C14's, because they looked great. Instead of Kawasaki installing the nice looking ZX14 exhaust on the C14. Kawasaki instead decided to give the new ZX14 an exhaust that pretty much as ugly as the one on the C14. And to make it worse, the ZX14 still uses two cans. So it's more like twice as ugly as the ugly azz C14 exhaust.  ???
Way to go Kawasaki. Make some nice improvements to the ZX14, then make it that a lot of folks won't buy one because you decided to make a good looking bike a lot less aesthetically pleasing by changing a nice looking exhaust in favor of an ugly exhaust! 

Cap'n Bob said:
The color looks like a redo of the ZX14 green from a couple of years ago. But that's alright with me. I love that color. The problem I do have with this new ZX14. Well a lot of folks installed the ZX14 dual exhaust on their C14's, because they looked great. Instead of Kawasaki installing the nice looking ZX14 exhaust on the C14. Kawasaki instead decided to give the new ZX14 an exhaust that pretty much as ugly as the one on the C14. And to make it worse, the ZX14 still uses two cans. So it's more like twice as ugly as the ugly azz C14 exhaust.  ???
Way to go Kawasaki. Make some nice improvements to the ZX14, then make it that a lot of folks won't buy one because you decided to make a good looking bike a lot less aesthetically pleasing by changing a nice looking exhaust in favor of an ugly exhaust!

Kawasaki is just making sure the aftermarket exhaust companies get plenty of business.  ;D

All I want for Christmas is that engine (195 WHP) in the 2013 Concours 14R!  :) That would be sweetness rolling all day long. Oh, and if momma Kaw can add the 3 stage power settings in addition to the Eco mode, I would have no complaints. Oh and offer it in Crystal Pearl White and Black.

Is that too much to ask Santa?

Bourne2Ride said:
All I want for Christmas is that engine (195 WHP) in the 2013 Concours 14R!  :) That would be sweetness rolling all day long. Oh, and if momma Kaw can add the 3 stage power settings in addition to the Eco mode, I would have no complaints. Oh and offer it in Crystal Pearl White and Black.

Is that too much to ask Santa?

You would need a bigger fuel tank as well unless you want to stop and refuel every hundred or so miles.  ;D

Jeremy said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Kawasaki is just making sure the aftermarket exhaust companies get plenty of business.  ;D

Hah! A lot of the guys on zx14ninjaforum already have 2012 ZX14s, and almost 100% of them are saying the mufflers gotta be replaced immediately.

Side note, I've debated this with them enough to not bother anymore. I'm not going to write "R" after it, its not a "R" bike no matter how much Kawasaki says it is. "R" bikes are the street, homologated, versions of track bikes, specifically road racing motorcycles. If you are egotistical like BMW, you put "RR" at the end to say your "R" trumps their "R".

So I'm ok with ZX10R because it IS a homologated street version of the track bike. Without the street version, they would not be able to race the track version.

The 2012 ZX14 has no valid claim to the "R" designation.

Privateer said:
Jeremy said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Hah! A lot of the guys on zx14ninjaforum already have 2012 ZX14s, and almost 100% of them are saying the mufflers gotta be replaced immediately.

Side note, I've debated this with them enough to not bother anymore. I'm not going to write "R" after it, its not a "R" bike no matter how much Kawasaki says it is. "R" bikes are the street, homologated, versions of track bikes, specifically road racing motorcycles. If you are egotistical like BMW, you put "RR" at the end to say your "R" trumps their "R".

So I'm ok with ZX10R because it IS a homologated street version of the track bike. Without the street version, they would not be able to race the track version.

The 2012 ZX14 has no valid claim to the "R" designation.

Well, I don't know of any "track" version of the ZRX 1200R. Kawasaki can put any letter it wants to in their model designation, it's what the bike does that counts.

Dan

Bergmen said:
Well, I don't know of any "track" version of the ZRX 1200R. Kawasaki can put any letter it wants to in their model designation, it's what the bike does that counts.

Dan

We don't disagree Dan. Of course Kawasaki can put any name on it they want. You can name your child any name you want, too.

That doesn't mean its a good name.

I never saw a "ZRX 1200R" but I owned a ZX12 and it didn't have an "R" designation.

The point is, like so many things in life these days, the true meaning of the "R" suffix is being lost because it is being liberally applied to bikes (and cars and boats) which are in no way worthy of the designation.

Privateer said:
I never saw a "ZRX 1200R" but I owned a ZX12 and it didn't have an "R" designation.

The point is, like so many things in life these days, the true meaning of the "R" suffix is being lost because it is being liberally applied to bikes (and cars and boats) which are in no way worthy of the designation.
THe ZRX comes in three or four different configurations.  The faired one is the "R" model IIRC.... but I never knew of a ZX12 that didn't have an "R".

In any case I blame all of these "R"s on the Knight RIder TV show and the XT Turbo PCs of the eighties.  :))

ZX12R & ZX14R are VERY heavily represented in Drag Racing around the world.
IMHO that deserves an R.

Hayabusa is GSX1300R.

Writeups are here
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/12/2012-kawasaki-ninja-zx-14r-md-ride-review-part-1-with-dyno-charts-and-video/
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/12/2012-kawasaki-ninja-zx-14r-md-ride-review-part-2-with-new-video/

My understanding was that the R meant is was a road model that was made to develop the Race version from.
The RR is the homologation special. Sometimes it's a limited production run, sometimes not.

The best description I ever heard was
R- Retarded
RR- REALLY Retarded

2104443960053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Stopped by the dealership today and asked to see this 2012 ZX-14 because in the photos I REALLY like this color, and have yet to see one out and about. They did not have one on the floor, but did have one still in the crate. We peeled back the cardboard, and WOW! This is a fantastic looking bike. I had not noticed the flames on the lower fairing, and then down the side of the plastic from previous photos. Nice touch.

I let the salesman know that when Kawi releases this color on the C14, I want to be first on the list.

Attachments

• ZX-14 (2).jpg
    ZX-14 (2).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 103
Brock Davidson of Brock's Performance fame has a video on youtube that has gone viral among sportbike fans. He is sitting on a 2012 ZX14 on the dyno, and all he has done is put the new Alien Head full exhaust on it (they literally got the new version that day).

The dyno run prints out 217 rwhp.

Can you imagine what they will make when Brock adds a PCV (waiting on DynoJet to produce a piggy for the 2012 ZX14 ecu) and velocity stacks ?

All on pump gas, completely street legal. Well, not in noise-abatement States, but generally. Heh.

On that subject, I started my new C14 at the dealership last night and it was eerily quiet running. I'm not used to that. Heh.

Negative, I'm going to buy the Muzzy C14 dual exhaust because it is quiet, makes excellant power, and looks smokin' on a C14.

EDIT: I am going to have Classic Coatings ceramic coat inside and out of the header, collector, and mid-pipes, and outside-only of mufflers, all Flat Black outside, and race coat inside.