• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is there an order for fairing removal?

kugiman

Big Wheel
Hi COG group,
I am new to the forum. It's great reading with a cup of Joe!
2 months ago I purchased an black '09 Connie 14 and lovin' it. I would like, down the line, to individualize it. I am a graphic designer and have a few ideas for simple paint mods. Not much in the way of custom paint in the C14 community!

My question is:  Do the fairing pieces have to be removed in any particular order, or can I just drop the belly pan (lower fairing)? Thought I could get a "heads up" before grabbing the screwdrivers and allen wrenches. Any input is appreciated!

In general I find it easiest to do them in this order:

center mounted Glove box (08/09) or panel (10/11)
Left and right black side/glove box panels
Left and right mid section panels (under tank) and battery cover panel
Left and right lower section panels
Left and right uppers (under mirrors)

I'd highly advise getting the Kawasaki service manual and reviewing the steps in it before starting. There are lots of little tabs and pieces that all need to line up properly when you go to reassemble it that you'll need to pay attention to. The 2010/11 models are even a bit more difficult as the mid panel has more tabs on it, and an air dam it has to align with.

Kugiman said:
Thanks so much.... there is very little about fairings. I will look for a service manual!

Or buy one of Fred's DVD and watch him do it.  For me, that was far easier since he shows you where the tabs are and how to line them up.

-David
Athens, GA