• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

"It all happened so fast," he said knowingly...dropped entering the roadway...

It seems so cliched, but it did happen fast. As some background, I recently discovered my rear brake pads are nearly completely gone much too quickly.  Seems I over-use my rear brakes.  Ok, I'll change my habits.  Rear brake pads are on their way from Murph, and I am currently using the fronts exclusively. In addition, we have a driveway in front of the parking lot at work that has diagonal parking spots on both sides, making for crap visibility. In addition, the driveway descends to the road, which immediately ascends up.  This creates a hellish low spot. These three things conspired to trick me into dropping my Connie.  :(

I was trying to creep out so I could ensure there were no cars attempting to run me over when I saw a car barreling up the road.  Of course, I stopped (using my front brakes for reasons mentioned above), which caused my front end to dip, which changed my balance to the right, and when I put my foot down, it was a LONG tip before making contact with the road.  Tried to muscle her back into the balance zone, but I'd already unknowingly passed the event horizon of embarrassment. Slowly, she tipped over and rolled to the right.

I got her up myself, somehow, but found myself on the wrong side of the bike to get the kickstand down.  Luckily a co-worker was walking to her car, and she helped me get the kickstand down so I could mount.  Oddly enough, the kickstand was able to hold the bike up, even on the dip, so mounting and getting the hell out of Dodge was not difficult at all.

There appears to be no major damage.  The dip protected the footpeg and mounting bracket. The right bag had my lunchbox in it, which seems to have helped reinforce the bag.  The right antler may be bent, as I've not had the chance to check yet, but it really seems like the slow motion drop wasn't as bad for her as I initially thought.  The mirror bent inwards, but seems to be completely fine.  I have a throttlemeister, and that doesn't hold the throttle open when I engage it, but I suspect it just got tweaked a little.  The brass piston extends when I twist it, but it seems further away from the throttle cuff than it was.  I suspect when I have the chance to get it off tonight or tomorrow, I will just have to re-shim and re-adjust, and everything will be fine.

All things considered, it seems to have been a relatively painless drop.  I tweaked my wrist, but nothing is broken...just sore.  Oh, and my ego is nicely bruised.  :)

Well bummer.  Front brakes at almost no speed and the wheel turned is just BAD.  I dropped mine the same way more or less but I was stupid enough to be looking backwards at the time.

Taliesin, CD0341.
According to the Top 10 ways we drop Connies - uneven surfaces is #2!
Glad you are ok as is the bike.