• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

It appears my C14 is totaled, and i am considering buying a BMW.

c14blair

Training Wheels
i have a '08 C14, and a month ago i was hit by a truck. Dealership is quoting $9K to fix. Insurance adjuster is going over there on Monday to confirm, and will total, if this is an accurate estimate.

i am considering buying a used BMW K 1200 Lt, but concerned by reports of high maintenance costs.

i appreciate any and all input.

thanks

I'm getting ready to buy a 2011 connie next week. I also looked at buying a BMW. After reading on the BMW forums for about a month, I decided to go with tha connie. Read a lot about drive shat problems and on the K model they have a lot of can chain problems. And yes anything you have to do to them is very pricey maintenance wise. 

C14 blair said:
i am considering buying a used BMW K 1200 Lt, but concerned by reports of high maintenance costs.

thanks

This past generation of BMW bikes have been plagued with well-documented final drive failures. Earlier K and R models with permanently sealed ("no maintenance for life!") were the most susceptible. A few years ago, BMW put a drain plug in the final drive (no admission of the problem, "just 'cause we felt like it.") and the number of drive failures seemed to lessen, but is still an issue. Check the bike's history and talk frankly with the dealer.

They are great bikes, but they can be expensive.

BMW shop maint is expensive 'cause there's so much of it.  And then there's the 'mystique' of BMW.  I've a buddy with two R1100RTs and both over 125000 miles.  He does all his own work (don't think this includes major rebuilds).  So...  I think if you're on top of all the PMs and do it yourself, then maint expense is no worse than a C14.  Remember that an LT is NOT gonna handle like either a C10, C14 or an RT or RS.  Good luck. ;D

See if the dealer can give U a good price on a leftover 2011 C-14 :)

Actually BMW makes a very good bike, but working on them requires all sorts of special (AKA BMW Only and EXPENSIVE) tools.

Most BMW owners I know change the rear end oil at every oil change just to look for metal in the oil...Usually that let's you catch on early that there is an issue but not always,  my friend has an 01 R1150GS and his rear end failed without warning

However, I wouldn't let the possible rear end issues dissuade you if you really like the bike,  just get the extended warranty and you should be fine.  MY issues with the BMW's are the initial price of the bike and the fact that  (IMHO) they are kinda funky looking and not in a good way LOL

Whatever you decide good luck and glad to see you are ok!! :)

I really get tired of hearing how the BMW's have final drive problems. Yes some do. But no matter what bike you buy you could have major problems that the majority of people don't have. It's the nature of the beast with any motorcycle. And the C14 is not except from troubles including final drive failures either. So get what you like. If you have a problem with it. Then you'll have to deal with it, whether it's a BMW, Harley, Triumph, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or what ever else. Although a warranty never hurts and gives you some piece of mind!

This recent article speaks to both the reliability and maintenance expense of someone's '05 1200LT.  If it fit my needs (desires), I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.  Personally, I can't imagine how he spent that much money for preventive maintenance but it probably included a new set of tires, maybe new clutch plates.  He probably already had all the farkles he needed.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/the_valley/westvalley/article_f3e61d51-59a2-591a-9da3-13ee5f2f7347.html

Props to http://www.ldriders.com/news.html

:beerchug:

Cap'n Bob said:
I really get tired of hearing how the BMW's have final drive problems...So get what you like. If you have a problem with it. Then you'll have to deal with it, whether it's a BMW, Harley, Triumph, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or what ever else.

caveat emptor

Statistically speaking there have been WAY more final drive failures on BMW's of late then there should be,  .  I understand there could be issues with any bike, (Heck how many C-14's have had warped rotors and bags flying off etc), but BMW has known about this for YEARS and still is an issue,  given how much BMW's cost these days I just cannot fathom plunking down that kind of cash to still worry about something potentially that major

However if you get the extended warranty you should be fine,  bottom line, if you want the bike get the bike,  most of us don't buy a bike cause it's practical, we get it because it speaks to us and makes us happy :)

Cap'n Bob said:
I really get tired of hearing how the BMW's have final drive problems. Yes some do.

Sort of like KiPass issues . Someone once knew of somebody that had a KiPass issue, but for all you know it could just be a myth.

I owned a K1200LT myself for about 1 season.  No maintenance issues at all for me, but then again I rarely rode it.  The reason was very simple...... I preferred my Connie in every catagory.  1200 was a pig at slow speeds.  Parking lots were a nighmare, and it just wasn't all that fun for me.  And then at highway speeds above 65 it felt kinda unstable to me.  I think it was because it is so big, the wind kinda pushes it around.  I just didn't care for it.  Sold it with no regrets.

If you go that way take your prospective purchase out on the highways at speeds above 70 and make sure you get a good one.  Good luck to you.

C14 blair said:
my insurance agent just called and said dealership's quote is way off, and she thinks it can be fixed.
WHat are they proposing?  Hopefully not a body shop.  If their parts or labor prices are just out of line then maybe this is good news...... or not. 

;)

425600721_LV4aF-L.jpg

MrPepsi said:
That same picture exists of a C14 somewhere.
No way I could find it again.
No way!  The shaft is on the wrong side and the brake will not say BMW on it.  ;D

picture of the BMW is a hoot.

the bike doesn't look bad. it was rode back to my place after the accident. i thought it was just cosmetic.

i never saw the guy who hit me, but can't believe he was going that fast. he turned in to me in a intersection and hit me on the left side.

looks like the drive shaft got hit. that part is $2,221.99. possible sub frame damage. that part is $727.50.

Total Estimate

Parts  $6,865.24
Labor $1,555.50
Tax    $  532.07
Total  $8,952.81... :-\

'08 with 9929 miles on it. highly unlikely that insurance company will pay that amount to have it fixed.

Insurance company is really dragging this out. they said they would call me back by noon today. they have 5 minutes.

they are under the impression that dealer's estimate is inflated, and can be fixed for less.

if it is totaled, i'm not going to buy back.

i would love to buy another C14, but really don't want to spend more than $10K, out the door.

looked at the BMW yesterday. nice, but huge. maybe an FJR, or ST.

not sure right now. i'm trying to just focus on recovery. Doctor says i can try to put some weight on leg Oct. 1st.

i should be thankful that i am not more busted up.

i don't remember anything about the accident, but gloves, and jacket are ripped. looks like i hit my head. left boot had to be cut off. helmet damaged.

ATGATT!

Cap'n Bob said:
I really get tired of hearing how the BMW's have final drive problems. Yes some do. But no matter what bike you buy you could have major problems that the majority of people don't have. It's the nature of the beast with any motorcycle. And the C14 is not except from troubles including final drive failures either. So get what you like. If you have a problem with it. Then you'll have to deal with it, whether it's a BMW, Harley, Triumph, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or what ever else. Although a warranty never hurts and gives you some piece of mind!
X2 -- what he said.

The BMW will cost more for routine maintenance because the service intervals are short and the shop rates and parts are not cheap, but Bob is right. Get what you want.

The LT and the Connie are not at all alike. The LT is HUGE and very heavy. It's a pig compared to the Connie. The replacement for the LT is the new K1600GT (or GTL). They're both fantastic, but they're suffering some of the first-model-year-blues. I have no doubt BMW will iron out the problems, they always do, but until then there are likely to be some challenges. I've ridden the K1600GT a lot, and I love the bike, but the Connie is proven and durable. I think the Connie is 90%+ of the K1600GT BMW at HALF the price. Literally. If you want something much larger and more luxurious I'd buy a Goldwing or wait 18 months for the Beemer to iron out the issues and moderate in price. 

MrPepsi said:
Cap'n Bob said:
I really get tired of hearing how the BMW's have final drive problems. Yes some do.

Sort of like KiPass issues . Someone once knew of somebody that had a KiPass issue, but for all you know it could just be a myth.

Big difference IMO. People on a Kawasaki site discussing Kawasaki failures on the forum for that bike. That compared to people on a Kawasaki site discussing BMW failures to BMW's.  And a good majority of the people on said Kawasaki forum commenting, never had or road a BMW. I'm not saying all, just a good majority. And it isn't like the C14 hasn't had plenty of rear drive issues on it's own. No, not to the extent of BMW's. But issues just the same.  And as far as KIPASS goes. You must be right. It could just be a myth. Someone once knew of a kipass issue. But that again would be less than truthful. It's amazing how KIPASS never failed on the Kawasaki site either according to some of the C14 people.
That's why you never ask people on a particular bikes site to give you opinions on that sites bike. And especially comparing that forum's bike to another bike. The forum will be by nature biased. Rarely will you ever get honest answers. You will tend to get "my bike is the best thing since sliced bread and never had a problem", type answers. People do not like to admit any shortcomings or possible mistakes. Again, it's in our nature.
Like I said at the beginning of this thread. You get what you want and deal with it if and when you have an issue. Most issues are blown out of proportion. Most bikes built today are very dependable. The chances of having major trouble with the bike are slim. But it can happen. And it can happen with any of them. So get what you want and enjoy it. It makes no sense to ask A holes like me what I think. I don't know what is right for you. Only you know that. You get what you like and enjoy the ride.  ;)

C14 blair said:
picture of the BMW is a hoot.

the bike doesn't look bad. it was rode back to my place after the accident. i thought it was just cosmetic.

i never saw the guy who hit me, but can't believe he was going that fast. he turned in to me in a intersection and hit me on the left side.

looks like the drive shaft got hit. that part is $2,221.99. possible sub frame damage. that part is $727.50.

Total Estimate

Parts  $6,865.24
Labor $1,555.50
Tax    $  532.07
Total  $8,952.81... :-\

Ouch!  :-[ :'(

I convinced a friend to head over to the BMW store and test-ride an R1200GS. He reported LOTS of riding experience, and said he wanted a dual-sport that's comfortable cranking out lots of highway miles with lots of gear...

He made it about 200 feet before he dropped the bike in a 15 mph turn onto a side street. The repair bill was about $7500. I don't know how he did it, but he managed to break or scrape almost everything on the right side of the bike -- and he had to eat all of it. That's one of the downsides of having an expensive bike.

I went down to the dealership and met the mechanic, and my insurance rep, and we all went over the estimate.

It appears as though there is no frame damage, and it is all cosmetic.

I am having it fixed.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm aware of all the bad press on the late model paralever drive failures and I'm sure it happens to some extent. But in defense of my beemer buds, I know several and not one has had a final drive failure but naturally that could change tomorrow. If you're considering a big bike you might want to go ride a Go-Wang. Honda dealer support is alot better and they are fine ridding bikes.

Sorry to hear about Your accident with the connie.  Glad that your ok.  I ride a 06 BMW LT and yes it is expensive to service and repair.  It is fun to ride and has lots of power for a heavy bike.  Slow speed parking manouvers are a nightmare at times.  I really like all the features,  abs, power windscreen. cd player, radio, heated seat and backrest, heated grips, power hydraulic centrestand, etc, however the cost of purchasing and servicing can be out of sight.  I am gettting close to 70 and sometims find this bike a little much to handle.  I an in good shape and work out regularly but I would like something a little lighter and easier to service.  I always serviced my old Yamaha venture except anything major.  I purchased my LT in 08 for under  $17,000 with only 4k miles.  In Canada they were just about $30,000 new.  The connie sounds like a great buy at $15,000 new.
Ride safe!!
Jim. :)

As for the K200 LT, I had one.  Handling and ride, very good.  If you are going to do the super-slab and make long distance trips, a very good choice.  On the final drive issue, BMW says it is only 4% of the total number of bikes, but if you check the beemer sites it is in excess of 12%.  Did I have a failure, yes, and I had the dealer replace the drive with a totally new one.  I know some who chose to have the drive rebuilt, with a good number to suffer additional failures.  Did I have another RD failure, no, I put another 18k on it then sold it.  Reason for selling, it was bought for two up and the OH only went with me 4 times in 6 years, so time for it to have a new home.

As for it's qualities, it will carve a road as well as most, provided you will take it that far.  Plenty of pics of them throwing sparks on The Dragon, and I know of two who have survived a deer hit and basically received no personal injury.  Damage to the bike, yes, major, but they rode it home.  As for what I miss, superb handling, cruise control, and a back rest.  With those you can rack up a 1K mile day very easily.  Best I ever did, 855 miles and I stopped before 5 PM, as I was very near my destination.

If I had to choose between a LT and the C14 now, well the type of riding I expected to do would make that decision.  If 50% long distance, I'd take the LT.  If anything else, the C14, and yes, I have ridden the C14.  Speaking of that, I found its power delivery to be better than the beemer, smoother and far more powerful.  Handling, the beemer has a slight edge.  Comfort, I can't say as I didn't have that much saddle time in the C14.  But I think, given a back rest and cruise control, I'd choose the C14.  My reason for that is quite simple, reliability and easy of finding a dealer when on the road.   

I think the main consideration is the difference in outlay for a BMW. If you spend premium dollars for an allegedly superior engineered machine, you should expect big miles for little maint issues. I do not think that is the case anymore. I would much rather buy a lower priced machine with great reliability and take care of my own maintenance. If I were to buy a BMW, I would want to trade it in before the expiration of the warranty. I do not think they deliver the quality that the price suggests. YMMV

Case in point http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,29695.0.html

I don't think I'd buy a BMW less than ten years old...it seems to me that things have changed in Bavaria...I used to have a 1987 K100RS...twice...only time I've ever bought the same bike two times!

C14 blair said:
I went down to the dealership and met the mechanic, and my insurance rep, and we all went over the estimate.

It appears as though there is no frame damage, and it is all cosmetic.

I am having it fixed.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm glad your 08's getting fixed for you.  ;)

C14 blair said:
...looks like the drive shaft got hit. that part is $2,221.99. possible sub frame damage. that part is $727.50.

Total Estimate

Parts  $6,865.24
Labor $1,555.50
Tax    $  532.07
Total  $8,952.81...
I paid $35 for my first, used Honda 90.  It came with knobbies and a high pipe.  Kick the livin' crap outta a C14.

Here's a shot before adding all the high performance stuff.

C90ltsd.jpg

I learned the basics of riding on a blue Honda 90 that belonged to my older brother.  Thanks for the memory Peter!

My BMW LT experience is 2 owned.
1999 110,000 miles zero problems.
Current 2000 LT with 67,000 ,one trottle cable
Only used BMW dealer one time (mistake)

I always use Redline Shockproof in rear drive and do fluid changes myself.
No failures.
LT great touring bike, very comfortable and fun at high rpm.
C14 great sport touring bike and maybe more fun.

Glad you are OK and you worked it out to keep the C14.  I have had little experience with BMWs, their dealer network is really spread out and a previous poster said going to the dealership was a bad idea.  Those two points make me leary of buying one, unless my local Kawi shop could service them.

But I love my C14 though :)

C14 blair said:
i have a '08 C14, and a month ago i was hit by a truck. Dealership is quoting $9K to fix. Insurance adjuster is going over there on Monday to confirm, and will total, if this is an accurate estimate.

thanks
You heard right about the costs. A great riding motorcycle in the Gold Wing tradition, but not to be compared to bikes like the C14, FJR, R1200RT, etc.    Heavy, heavy, but a comfortable ride.