• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

It's Just Braking In... 50K Miles

defrazier

Bicycle
Well, just hit the 50K mile mark on my 08' C14 this weekend, cutting up the roads in the Sam Houston National Forest, north of Houston.
Still runs like the first day, but without the stock tires.  I just can't get over how reliable she has been.
I know others have made this milestone, and some looking for that 100K, but I now know, this bike will last me a long time.
Just looking back, it was done in 1136 days, but due to my job that takes me to far away places, actual riding days was much less.
Based on my average 38 mpg, that's about 1315 gallons of gas, costing an estimated $3947, and 6 sets of tires (new ones on the way).
I have done 3 valve lash checks, replaced all fluids in December, the battery last year, and reat TPS under warranty in January, and ready for the next 50K.  BTW, I have had only one K-rock incedent, sometime in the first 3K miles, and TPS nail warning 3 times, which saved my tail.

My name is C14Addict, and I am a Connieholic.

Congrats! That's the way it should be. Everything worked great with the exception of the one incident. So get going on the next 50K!

Thanks for the report.  It is good to hear positive things, as too many times folks only post negative experiences.  I suspect there are many other very happy C14 owners out there. Hopefully they will chime in.

Awesome! Congrats and welcome on board! The Bob's have it right, it is great and very encouraging to hear praise on the initial C14 offering. We hear plenty of the this and that is wrong variety so that is a very uplifting report. Nature of the beast I suppose on forum life. Like you, I am in it for the long haul with a 10,000 milestone event today on my commute back from work.  I pull 100 miles a day when commuting is possible and I am shooting for the 200-300K range out of ConRad my last of the C10 2006 model. I got him with 3100 on the clock so I have nearly 7K under my belt since October.
Best wishes for MANY more trouble free, smile inducing miles in your future..

Congratulations!

Like S Smith said, glad to see a positive post on the C14.  :)

Definitely post when you hit 100k. I would love to hear how well the bike holds up in the long haul (I plan on keeping mind at least through the extended warranty period if not longer and I fully expect to break 100k by then).

Thanks All,

Part of this success is attributed to the care I give to the maintenance, and learning a great deal from the forums. It was intimidating when I first looked at all the complexity when she arrived. I had always done service on my own bikes in the past, but this was something completely different. But after I read more on the forums (the good and the bad),  joined COG, met with other C10 & C14 riders, I have become more comfortable that "I can do this".  I do all service myself, just short of tire mounting, but there is much more to learn, as I get deeper under her clothes (I dread having to do anything with the throttle bodies).  It really has become an addiction.

Every time I ride, I learn a little more about the bike, and myself. I don't claim to be that good, but rather humbling to continue to hone my abilities.
I do alot of solo riding, and this works for me. I am not tempted to ride above my abilities, as I have learned, it is not a competition. Chicken Strips? Mine are large. Why scrape pegs? That scares the krap out of me. I resist wheelies (but have done a couple), like to ride "brisk", not "fast" (but my GPS said I went 118 once), and practice good road etiquette.  I look at it this way.... You take care of her, and she will take care of you.  And BTW, I think she likes taking the rides... ALWAYS beckons me to go.

Yes, I cerainly would like to hear from others who have made 50K miles or more.