• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just picked up a 2001 CR 125

Kd50

Road Bike
Well after years of dirt riding on quads I had grown bored. I have ridden/raced for 27 years and was really looking for a new challenge, so I decided to try my hand at a dirt bike.
  All of the gear I own are in Honda colors so the decision to buy a Honda was a no brainer, however I needed to ride something, anything to find out if it would be up my alley or over my head considering I am not getting younger and the ground is much harder than it used to be. Fortunately I have a good friend who races a Yamaha yz450f mx bike and he was more than willing to let me throw a leg over. This was last Tuesday. I rode a lap on his practice track which is sand and had a real hard time controlling the 80hp beast in the ruts and corners but I had a ton of fun. 1 lap never getting out of 2nd gear and I was beat and abused from the death grip.
  I knew I would not even consider a 450 and was thinking 125 as the perfect starter for myself. I got home and instantly fired up the computer and headed over to Craigslist and found 4 or 5 125's in my price range, so I started tossing out messages. Wed am I got a couple responses and started arranging appointments to check em out.
  The first one I looked at was the one I bought. It was funny because the owner was running late and I was hanging out at his house waiting wondering if I would know the person because it was in my old hometown. The guy finally pulled in and I realized it was one of my old quad mechanics from my earlier racing days. Needless to say I was sold before he even opened the door of his garage.
  This guy was the mad scientist when it came to fixing quads. He was good and fast in high school so I knew the bike would be perfect and when the door opened, it was. So Thursday at 5 I picked it up and headed over to the practice track to start learning. That night I dumped it 3 times and had a blast doing it.
  I have started to get a real feel for it now after setting up the suspension for myself and getting on some solid ground instead of sand. I have not had this much fun in a long, long time. After 2-3 years of deciding, once I did I had one in 24 hrs. :motonoises:

I am looking forward to becoming good on it but want to take my time and just enjoy the progress.

The MX 4 stroke 250's are a hoot as well.  About the weight of a trials bike and probably the HP of a 2 stroke 125, around 30 to 35 in average  trim.  I still prefer the torque of a big bore for all day stuff though :beerchug:

Kenny Roberts uses XR100 Hondas at his dirt bike school.  He has taught drifting and power sliding to numerous European road racers as well as local guys like Lawson, Mamola and Chandler.

Rumour has it that he used to get drunk and crash around into them all the while hollering his head of at any mistakes they make.

rainy5.jpg