• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kansas / Missiouri as destinations

BJ_CT

Street Cruiser
Being from the East, I want to defend the concept of riding in KS and/or MO or even (shudder) NE. Spent quite a bit of work related time in KC. While there are long stretches of straight and flat, there are also great roads the go through the country and follow the rivers. Not mountains fer sure but not flat, not straight and great scenery all the same. Just depends on where you go. Also, KC is one of the nicer cities to visit, IMHO, and the music/food is great. :)

All it really takes is a location (that will put up with us... and our money), places to eat and a few interesting destinations to ride to. As far as location, a place with a good price and a place for the banquet are pluses, as is camping. Oh, and a dry county with no beer would be a negative!

As I expand my Connie coverage of Missouri I will try and find some time to post here...I have been making notes of routes and places to visit close to me (Springfield - SW corner of MO) first and move out from there.

I spend a lot of time on the back roads each year finding great places to float (canoe speak for occasionally paddling and relaxing with a cold one) and camp/float. Now that I have a Connie I am looking at these roads again but with a different Eye.

Oddly enough, Connie can easily tow a canoe or kayak on a small trailer.  It opens up all sorts of new recreational options, doesn't it?
8)

Here's my Harbor Freight trailer hooked up to the '01.  I carried a 17' canoe on the thing, though it really was too long for that trailer.  A 12-footer would be about perfect though.  The trailer started off a bright fire-engine red, but a little rattle-can Rustoleum before assembly matched the bike pretty well.

02_Trailer.jpg

OK...I give!  :truce:  :)
I have a 16' er and have seen that pic in the respective thread...I see it now (in my head) but I never really wanted to try it tbh (never having towed a trailer on a bike before let alone a long canoe).

My GOAL in those cases would be sweet talk my canoe friends to haul my canoe and gear....so I can follow on my moto and offer to help with the portage if the other driver is willing to ride on the back! :motonoises:

I wouldn't actually recommend hauling something that long on it.  In my case I justified it by noting that it was only a 3 mile run down a single straight road to the canoe ramp.  The straps held it on with no problem, but it'd be different if I was on unknown roads.

Still, one of those short kayaks would fit on it with no trouble at all.