• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kaw Vulcan 650 S

Mulvey

Tricycle
Just sold my '12 C14 due to shaky knees/legs... I'll miss you guys/gals. You were a huge resource & entertainment of coursefor the past 2 years. I decided I should scale-back in weight with a more around-town kinda ride. I'm considering the Kaw Vulcan S 650. Anyone have any experience? How disappointed will I probably be? Thanks again.
V/R
Kevin

Oh, don't go away... There are all kinds of bikes at gatherings, even some 650s, Versysi, Stroms, you name it. All are welcome.  Sorry to hear about the knees and legs. Mine are not what they once were, by a long shot. Someday, I'll be on something lighter. It's coming... So hang around.

Ron

I've had the motor on an 07 ninja, but not the vulcan.  you have to wind it up to get good power, but it's still fun.  are you short enough for it?

Wife has a Vulcan 650S.  She has some health issues that make a heavier bike a bit challenging.  The 650S has a VERY low center of gravity and is very easy to maneuver (or god forbid, pickup off the ground).  Power is actually pretty impressive and it's faster than most of the larger Vulcans (except the 2000); 0-60mph in 4.2, 1/4 in 13.2.  My wife is 5'1, and it fits her perfect.  My son is 6'5 and he has no problem riding it either.

Irene and Jorge should weigh in here soon. Jorge got the Vulcan in white for Irene last year. SHe has taken it over the road and IIRC they put some bags on it aftermarket. I am not sure but I think I read that you can vary the pegs and seat height for different lengths of riders. I have a Mean Streak with Jardine Forward controls. I think you will do fine. May not excite you as much as the C14 but that is still a fine bike that will keep you going. Weight is really light from what I remember when I stood over Irene's

Also consider the 650 Ninja.
Same engine, supposedly it a slightly different power delivery, bit closer to the ground than the Versys..

Ride safe, Ted

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
I have the same engine in a versys 650. that bike is a barrel of monkeys fun to ride!  :great: :great: :great: Steve
+1  The Versys 650 engine is a great engine.  You can get ABS on the Vulcan S (and the Versys) too. 

Kawasaki had the perfect midsize bike in their 750 Vulcan. Those bikes were comfortable,  had a low seat heigth, shaft drive, and a V-twin engine that got 60+ mikes per gallon. That engine and drive train would have made a great base to build a midsize sport tourer. But they dropped it from the lineup. Why?

Hi Kevin,
Yes, my wife has a Vulcan S. Really nice bike.
Weight is around 500 Lbs, with a low center of gravity. She's 5'0", and has no problems with it.

We added some aftermarket bags (Viking, but would not recommend them), and a Madstadt windshield. Givi makes the mounts for their bags, and they look nice on the bike. We've decided if the Viking bags give us more trouble, we're pitching them and getting Givis.
The Madstadt windshield is very well made, and it's adjustable (with tools) for height. It's angled nicely, and she says gets smooth air. It's also quick detach, with two psing-loaded locks that allow it to be removed easily and quickly.
We rode the two bikes (my C14 and her Vulcan) to the National in MO, and it did very well. Very stable at any speeds, and some of the reviews call it a "sport tourer" because of its quickness and responsiveness. It also gets really good MPG, at times getting over 60.
I'll mention this thread to her so she can pile more on...

I love my Vulcan.  It is a great bike that handles really well.  It responds very quickly.  Because I'm short, I need a bike that is set lower.  The Vulcan fits the bill.  It's got quickness and very responsive.  I greatly recommend this bike for you.

On another note, please don't leave COG.  You don't need to leave because you don't have a Connie anymore. 

Irene