• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KIPASS problems with sticking switch

Fred H.

There have been numerous reports of the KIPASS system malfunctioning over the last year. Almost all of these failures can be traced back to a switch that sticks inside the steering lock mechanism. I contacted Kawasaki Tech support and was informed that there have not been any changes to this switch, and no plans are in the work for a change that they are aware of. There also is no plan for a recall of any sort, and new 2009 bikes have the same switch. Basically what happens is when you press in on the key knob, it activates a switch that tells the steering lock and KIPASS ECU to perform the authentication of the FOB. But when the switch sticks in the down position, the system shuts off after a few seconds and you can't get it to re-authenticate. This means you can't turn the key because the steering lock won't release the solenoid that prevents it from turning until the authentication is performed. So basically, you are hosed. You can't turn the key and you can't start the bike. I took mine apart this evening to photograph it and take a look at the problem myself. The first thing you have to do is remove the handlebars and top triple clamp or "top bridge" assy and unplug the electrical connector from the wire harness so you can remove the steering lock unit and triple clamp from the bike. Then you will see that the steering lock is held on with security screws in the bottom of the triple clamp that have been filled in. The only way to get them off is to drill them out. Once you have the steering lock free you can see the switch. It appears what is happening is dirt and contaminates are getting into the switch and causing it to stick. The well around the Oven Key probably isn't helping any either, since it acts like a trough to collect water and wash it down into the switch. I washed the switch out real will with silicone spray and then packed it with a liberal dose of dielectric grease. However, I would caution anyone AGAINST spraying ANY LUBRICANT into the lock cylinder itself. This can do more harm than good, and it is not the lock cylinder that is sticking, it's the switch below it at the 9 oclock position. If your switch sticks you may be able to get it free itself by tapping at the 9 oclock position just below the key. This may be enough to jar it loose and help you get home. You can also temporarly fix it by disconnecting the large multi-pin electrical connector for the steering lock that is in the black rubber boot under the left side black panel (where the left glove box would be if the bike had one). By breifly disconnecting and then reconnecting this connector, it will break contact of the circuit, and you should then be able to turn the key if you do it within a few seconds of reconnecting it. You can find the connector by following the wires from the steering lock back to the main harnes on the left side. I will keep in contact with Kawasaki about this, but I'm not holding my breath that they will take action. Maybe after enough complaints surface at dealerships they will take action. I put a complete photo gallery of the switch on my photo site here: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/kipass Here are a couple photos so you can see the switch. I won't put them all on this thread cause there are too many.
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

As always, Fred, an excellent job. Thanks. Please consider transposing this to print media format so it can go into a future issue of The Concourier. That way our non-wired brethren and sistren (sistren?) can benefit from you experience.

Great job as always. Also wanted to say was glad to see you come on with COG to help us with your knowledge. Keep up the great work.

THANKS Fred! for this valuable information. As i told Kawasaki, while stuck in Hankesville UT last year from my ride from Frisco, that this little glitch is enough to make a touring bike useless. There was no fix other than the rock I used at the 8/9 o'clock position, which, after banging up my ignition (first damage to the bike) I got it to "pop" as you indicated. I have planned to get this replaced but only after they fix the problem; a grain of sand can jam it up as it is... I will further read your instructions on resetting the left side connector-- I am stunned that they didn't offer me this suggestion. As of now, I keep the rock in our "unlocked little top case"; always hoping that someone doesn't steal it....

I know this is an old thread but I just got my 09 about a month ago so I was wondering if this is still a problem. Has this happened to anyone lately? Have there been any more fixes or tips or tricks worked out in the meantime? I printed out Freds posting and put it with my proof of insurance, so in case this ever happens to me I'll be prepared.

Yes it still happens. But at a lesser rate than when the bike first appeared. Rumor has it that Kawasaki might actually be replacing a spring when the switch sticks with the more recent failures. But it as of yet unconfirmed. The best thing you can do is read up on what you can do to prevent trouble, and what you can do if trouble arises.
Read up on the methods like the K rock, gray connector, and the bypass circuit, for what you can do if KIPASS strands you. It may pay off!

Thanks for this fantastic information on the steering lock problem.  I did learn that Kawasaki has changed the spring for this switch to make it stronger.  It's being installed for me this week.

Here's my.02. The picture in Freds  post shows a tab that activates the switch. If you disassemble the switch body completely you'll find a very tiny spring below that switch button. Ma kaw. Replaced that spring with a much larger spring in my 08. My 08 was out of warranty & they did it free of charge. Also the shop I took it to has done several switches paid for by ma kaw. Currently I have no problems with the switch.