• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Laminar Lip or Taller Windshield?

Tony

Big Wheel
I could not decide and did not get a chance to try either. With the wind bashing and noise something had to give though. The lip was the cheapest fix and the taller windshield looked slick. The cheapest won, I am happy with the results. I installed the lip with masking tape first to experiment with positioning and found the taller position best.Once stuck you are done, no chance to move. The next time I will squeeze to make a little more room for air and raise just a little. No more head bashing and noise reduced about 75%. Makes for a pleasant ride, and it is easy to see over. :)

I installed a Laminar Lip on my Connie about 3 years ago and I am still happy I did. It allowed me to ride with my visor open. Before, I could not open it even for ventilation, even as much as a 1/4", and still expect to see well. Now, I can open it as much as I need wth no problems. raulb 2003 Connie COG #6043 CDA #281 AMA #699463 "It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are." --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

I put a Lip on my OEM shield for a year, and then went to a Cee Baileys shield. The Lip did a good job though, for the same reason you mentioned- less money available at the time. I've had the CB for a couple years, even added the Lip to it as well, with favorable results. Recently a minor crash broke my CB and had me back on the OEM, at first w/o the Lip. Then adding the Lip back to it I recalled what a difference it made in smoothing the airflow off the shield, esp at highway speeds. I will be going back to another CB in the spring, but the Lip on the OEM shield is a great interim solution; also a good upgrade for the money, IMHO. :) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'