• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LCD Degridation

gwenzz1972

Anyone ever been able to replace the LCD portion of the dash on a 2011 Connie??? The darkening from sun and heat exposure no longer goes away and is starting to completely obscure the display in the center. A new, complete dash from Kawasaki is upward of $900 and I can't justify that.
Even Ebay used and damaged parts are pricey.
Advice????
Thoughts?
Snarky comments?

20230521_144838.jpg....Ebay for less than $80, a bit of patience... 20230521_140702.jpg...and all is right with the world!!!

The photos are AFTER then BEFORE....sorry.
Operator error.
But....I did also color over the lens of the High Beam indicator. What difference!!!!

View attachment 36421....Ebay for less than $80, a bit of patience... View attachment 36420...and all is right with the world!!!

Operator error.
But....I did also color over the lens of the High Beam indicator. What difference!!!!
Nice work and indeed the high beam indicator is distracting / blinding…

How did you cover the high beam indicator!?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

View attachment 36421....Ebay for less than $80, a bit of patience... View attachment 36420...and all is right with the world!!!

Operator error.

wehre did you order your replacement screen? Just out of curiosity....when you had it apart do you have a feel for the tech lens being a replaceable item?

Nice work and indeed the high beam indicator is distracting / blinding…

How did you cover the high beam indicator!?

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I found a black round sticker and covered the blue high beam light. Fits over it perfictly. You see a blue glow ring around it at night. And I run high beam during the day to be seen a little better by cage drivers.

No high beam during day for us. The black sticker was that non the surface of the meter cluster window or internal?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

No high beam during day for us. The black sticker was that non the surface of the meter cluster window or internal?

Wayne, Carol & Blue
On the outside of meter window so if you ever want to take it off, easy to do. And why not high beams on during the day? Makes you more visible to cage drivers.

On the outside of meter window so if you ever want to take it off, easy to do. And why not high beams on during the day? Makes you more visible to cage drivers.
Several reasons for no high beams during the day, or at the least in my mind.

High Beams during the day, just like modulating headlights for me I see them as:
  1. Distracting to others’ attention - has opposite desired effect as the high beam becomes a target fixation. Target fixation - humans will drive toward it, much the opposite desired effect.
  2. Drivers (motorcycles and cars) pay attention to high beam approaching or trailing behind them in their rear view mirror as it demands their attention, (bug to light) thus for extended periods taking their eyes off the road of what is in front of them. Drivers inattention to what is in front of them results in a near miss in front me now the driver needs to slam on their brakes.
  3. Hard for others (car and motorcycle) to judge distance, playing on the human eye high beams are very difficult to focus on and distance not easily focused on.
  4. Blinded by a high beam during the day? Works in a similar (albeit not as pronounced) manner as night, and now the driver who was ‘high-beamed’ has a momentary blackout as eyes refocus. They may not hit the high beam vehicle but the high beam vehicle now created an unsafe condition for others.
High beam vehicle is trying to address the few that are not paying attention but is impacting everyone (lots of loss of attention) and making the high beam wielding vehicle unsafe in the process for the reasons above.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Operator error.

I'd really like to know where the replacement LCD was sourced from, and what the part number is. Just saying "I got it on Ebay" isn't much help. Did you buy the whole meter panel and remove the LCD from it, or did you actually source a replacement LCD? Got a link to it?

Marty, I think you really should do one on headlight modulators.
I wish I could, but to be clear...that video wasn't my creation (but oh how I wish it was)...I only drag it out when ever the situation warrants it as homage to it's creator from the other forum....Breaker 19 posted it over there first and may be the original creator or maybe not.
It was posted in response to an 11 page difference of opinion(s) thread about riding with high beams. It also occasionally drifted into high beam female anatomy but I'm sure that was just to cool down the arguments going on....yeah right!

Never met anyone who cared about people driving cars safety more than their own. Not me, I will drive with high beam during the day all the time. Couldn't quote how many times someone started to pull out in front of me and stopped till I rode by. My safety comes first.

I'd really like to know where the replacement LCD was sourced from, and what the part number is. Just saying "I got it on Ebay" isn't much help. Did you buy the whole meter panel and remove the LCD from it, or did you actually source a replacement LCD? Got a link to it?
Fred, it was the entire display panel from a 2012. It looked as though the bike had been parted out as the housing was damaged. I took a chance figuring that since the LCD did NOT appear to have been impacted. I took my unit out and did a swap with just the LCD...it was rather simple and, so far, it's worked GREAT!!!! The brains of the bike weren't interrupted so all the particulars (Mileage, etc.) remained.
Highly recommend this option to ANYONE with a burnt screen. Mine was pretty bad...damn Central California sun!!!
The picture is of the old screen at night....in the daytime it was much worse.

Attachments

• 20220915_054153.jpg
    20220915_054153.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 60
wehre did you order your replacement screen? Just out of curiosity....when you had it apart do you have a feel for the tech lens being a replaceable item?
Got the whole display console on ebay. $75 to my door. New cost is ridiculous!!
I'm not sure what you mean by "tech lens".

If you still have the old LCD, see if there are any part numbers or manufacture names on it. We might be able to source just the LCD panel. We did that for the Gold Wing a few years back. Turned out they use the same LCD that some of the BMW and other cars do, so it was readily available.

If you still have the old LCD, see if there are any part numbers or manufacture names on it. We might be able to source just the LCD panel. We did that for the Gold Wing a few years back. Turned out they use the same LCD that some of the BMW and other cars do, so it was readily available.
Darn.....sorry. I trashed the old LCD panel when i cleaned up the work bench as I got ready for the next project!

I meant TACH lens......frickin autocorrect from Grammarly. Not sure how the one on my 2013 commuter got cracked.
Technology is REALLY trying (unsuccessfully) to make us all smarter. It's not working.

As for the lens being replaceable.....I really couldn't say with much confidence as I didn't look that closely.