• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Left Outer Bag Replacement

shoupeja

I went down at speed coming home (Butler, PA) from a trip to State College (PA) several weeks back. I have no idea what happened. I lost the front end going around a left turn. Maybe something slippery on the road, I don't know. I hit down hard on the left side and then started sliding. Arai helmet, Klim summer riding jacket, black jeans, and TCX Jupiter boots all destroyed but they did their job. My left leg was under the bike and took a beating. It is slowly coming back. No broken bones and no blood clots. Anyhow... The bike needed a front fender and fender extender, left mirror, left footpeg, left swingarm slider, left Top Block slider and left outer bag. Everything has been replaced with the exception of the left footrest which is on its way. I am transferring over parts from the trashed left outer bag to the new replacement. I am almost done but it appears the rubber seal on the old part cannot be transferred over to the new left outer bag. It looks like it is glued in. Does anybody have any experience with this? I will have to look on Partzilla to see if you can purchase a new seal. Thanks to Murph for getting me a new fender extender and Top Block slider in a matter of two days. Probably the last thing to get fixed will be my leg! Still, I am very lucky! The Top Block, left swingarm slider, and left bag saved a lot of parts.

Attachments

• 20230615_111502.jpg
    20230615_111502.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230710_120838.jpg
    20230710_120838.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 64
Damn Jeff! I don't have any info for you, but just wanted to tell you that we're happy you didn't get hurt more badly than you did. I high sided many years ago and was very lucky as you were. That bike was totalled. I had one cut under my chin and was so sore the next day I could barely get out of bed. Happy to hear that you and the bike had some protection. Heal quickly!

Thanks... A high side sounds very bad. I have seen some spectacular high sides on-line and on TV. I was under the bike but luckily just slid and didn't hit anything. Yes, I was very lucky. I was able to ride the bike home that day (two hours) but over the next several days everything got very sore. My left leg is finally starting to loosen up and come around. I did look at Partzilla this morning and ordered the rubber seal for the bag. They refer to it as "packing". I will attempt to get the seal out of the old left side cover but it will most likely be destroyed in the process.

Thanks... A high side sounds very bad. I have seen some spectacular high sides on-line and on TV. I was under the bike but luckily just slid and didn't hit anything. Yes, I was very lucky. I was able to ride the bike home that day (two hours) but over the next several days everything got very sore. My left leg is finally starting to loosen up and come around. I did look at Partzilla this morning and ordered the rubber seal for the bag. They refer to it as "packing". I will attempt to get the seal out of the old left side cover but it will most likely be destroyed in the process.
The high side was the easiest one. Landed at the bottom of an embankment that was soft. I've been under one as well, just wasn't moving forward.šŸ˜³ That was the one that hurt me. Two weeks after the high side, my friends bike was replaced and we did 4k miles in 11 days out west. I was in my 20's then. Bounced back a bit quicker back then.šŸ˜‰

Much longer to heal these days! Just so folks know, I attempted to remove the rubber seal from the old left outer bag to transfer to the new part. Some of it came out fairly easily but some was definetly glued in and ripped when removing. The new one is on its way.

I repaired a crashed bike for someone last year, and had to replace that seal with a new one. The old one tore when I tried to remove it. I doubt you'll get it out in one piece.

Sorry, I haven't been able to login for awhile. I ordered and installed a replacement seal. The part number for my 2011 is the same as listed above, 43049-0010. The old seal was glued in and it did rip when removing it. I glued the new seal in with some silicone adhesive. The bike is ready to go and I have been out on it several times. It turns out my left leg is holding me back now. I am having a hard time shifting up through the gears. Since my boot is new and the rubber on top of the left footpeg is new, I am having a hard time inserting the tip of my left foot under the shift lever and then pulling up. I have adjusted the shift level up quite aways in order to shift. As things break in and my left ankle starts working better I will lower the shifter back down to its original position. For now, things are pretty much back to normal.

Reactions: Bud