• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

looking at the 2012 concours and like the black wheels ,

anthony2008

Mini Bike
now im thing of having my 2008 wheels power coated black , like the 2012 , i think it looks good , anyone paint there wheels all ready

Don't paint them, powder coat them.

IMG00218-20110506-1507.jpg

powder coating is the only way  :beerchug:  plus it would be a lot easier to clean them with the smooth surface after powder  coating  :)
2012-Kawasaki-Concours14ABSb.jpg

tony said:
ZG said:
$80 for the set.

Here's a link to the guy that did mine, he's done 3 different sets of wheels for me for my other bikes too, only takes 2 days.

http://www.jdpowdercoatings.com/
im in california ,  i need to find someone close , to sacramento so i can just drive them there
Open up Google, then put in your zip code followed by the words "powder coating".  It'll pop up a list of pretty much everyone in the area who does this work.  Then you can go asking around about these guys to find out who gives the best experience.  Have fun!

Do you have the dealership remove the bearings? How much does that cost typically?  Dealing with the bearing is the only reason I haven't done the wheels yet.

Removing the bearings (at least on the C10) is a much simpler task than getting the wheel and tire off.  They're compression-fit (you just tap them in) and they'll pop right out with a little prying with a screwdriver blade.  Do NOT apply powdercoat to the place where those bearings sit, however.

I also have been thinking about powder coating my wheels. Does anyone have a pic of a silver 2011 with black wheels, or what would be another good color?

US Powder Coating
(916) 638-2980
3437 FITZGERALD RD
RANCHO CORDOVA, CA 95742

in the past i've had wheels done there and they turned out great.

black wheels on a c14 are the bees knees!  it makes the bike look so much better...almost sinister looking!  im contemplating painting the front fender in the same finish (matte, to match the bike) as well.

the only reason i havent doen it up to this point is i dont feel like messing with the bearing.  when they need replacing ill do it.

its not hard, you just need to get a long enough punch and hit the lower bearing out, flip wheel and repeat.  hit one side of the bearing, then hit the other side so the bearing comes out straight and not ****-eyed.

i put the new ones in the freezer until they are ready to go in.  every little bit of shrinking helps.  i grind down the outer race of the old bearings and use them to hammer in the new ones.  anything that hits the outer race only of the new one without damaging the seal will work.  if you dont grind down the outer race of the old bearing, youll get it stuck in the wheel! damhik.

I've been painting mine for years!!!!
green14.jpg

The stock set off my 06 ZX14.Don't have to take the bearings out,I can two-tone them and I can put a satin or flat clear over them.I've had numerous tires put on and hardly any chipping.
orange6r4.jpg

Did this one with Lambo Diablo orange.Just paint a set for a CBR600rr pearl white.I'll be doing this with my connie in the next month or so. :beerchug:

I really like that green. I really think Kawasaki should do the C14 in the nice green that they had on the ZX14.

Has chipping been a problem on the powder coated rims, either from rocks or during tire changes?

Wyo - those green rims look fantastic.  :)

Orange said:
share the picture with us  ;)

I admit the '12 C-14 looks pretty cool.  Thought I wouldn't like the black wheels since I have gotten used to chrome city on the Valk.  but all in all it's  beautiful dark maroon...almost blood red in color... 

A search on eBay for concours 1400 wheels brings up quite a few options if people wanted to keep a bone stock set as a backup.