• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for opinions on a bike for my 73 year old dad.

My dad and I are considering a week long trip from Texas through to the Florida area. He's 73 and in great shape, but not really a rider. He's ridden, but... well you guys know the difference.

I'm looking into getting a bike for him to ride on this trip, something easy for him to handle. I was considering a Bergman scooter, or perhaps one of the Honda scooters. However, I don't think that they'll allow for enough storage on the bike. I also looked into the Versys. Does anyone have any recommendations on a mount for him?

By the way, he's 6'2" and weighs in at around 180.

Thanks for your input! :)

My concern is that the Connie might be a little too much bike. Not only from a size standpoint, but also from a power standpoint.

He likes the scooter idea, I'm just uncertain.

The first thing he should do is take the MSF Basic Rider Course.  As far as a bike goes:  a friend of mine rides a Burgman 650 that has a fairly large Givi top case on it.  Between the storage capability under the seat, using the rear of the seat (e.g. pillion position) and the top case, he can carry enough gear to last for over a week without doing laundry.  Twisted Throttle (et.al.) have luggage for the the Ninja 650R.  The KLR has a huge following and tons of aftermarket luggage, as well as a reputation of being a pack mule.  They are also available a quite reasonable prices, get superior fuel economy and are as durable as an anvil. They do vibrate a bit but I never found it particularly objectionable (some of the more experienced KLR riders may chime in about it).

I think the Connie would be a very poor choice. Something lighter would be less intimidating.

FWIW
A couple of weeks ago on the interstate I saw a pretty good sized guy on a 650 Bergman and he was towing a small trailer, doing 70 - 75 I might add.

The Bergman 650 is exceptionally capable. You can add a tail trunk to it for added storage and most likely some panniers as well.  Remember when packing for any trip to pile everything you think you need in one pile and all your cash in another pile. Then cut the everything you need pile in half and double the money pile. This works well for most trips!

Best of luck and it is good to hear the "old Man" wants to ride!  :)

I knew a retired moto cop that went from a Connie to a Wing and then dumped them both for a Bergman.  If my knees get any weaker I might be headed that way.

OK, I'll vote for the Bergman 650 .... very stable at highway speeds... very economical....  tons of storage.. EZ to get on and off... fairly light weight.....  you'll never get tired in the saddle.... no need to farkle it out....  I actually considered one before I bought the Connie, but, due to my size and weight (huge  ;D ), thought better of the idea....

Take a look at a '91 up CB750 Nighthawk. Very easy bike to ride, reasonably lightweight, plenty of engine for its' size, low maintenance, reliable as a hammer. I sure do like mine, took a 4500 mile road trip on it this past June, it just turned over 40K, never any mechanical issures, runs like a new one.  I'm 74, same weight as your Dad, 3" shorter.

Attachments

• 1368a.jpg
    1368a.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 103
Our COG treasurer rides that same bike as the one in the picture. I second the idea. The Nighthawk is a great bike.

Burgman 650.  I own one, and I've seen the cross country crowd in groups out here traveling together and loaded down two up.  The Burgman is a motorcycle, an SV650 with a comfortable seat and 55 litres of storage built in.  Easy to ride with the automatic, so no clutch learning curve.  He must take the MSF course if he has no endorsement or hasnt ridden in years.  Not a law, just common sense.