• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for some maintenance hints

bartecki

Tricycle
Hi all,
I am closing first season with my 08 here. Generally speaking I am still learning bikes … so please let me use your wisdom. I am thinking about some basic maintenance.
So few questions … is there anything wrong with changing oil before “winter hibernation”? I was thinking to do my oil and air filter now .. so it is ready when I wake up the beast in the spring. Where do you buy your parts? Do you stick with OEM? Would you go for K&N filter? And the big one …what oil should I get?
I will do tires over the winter … I know that this is a separate thread by it salve but … what do you have on your bike?
Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Are you trying to start trouble?  Don't ever ask what kind of oil!    :))

Actually changing the oil when putting her away for the winter is the way to go. Along with adding fuel stabilizer. And plugging into a battery tender. I personally try to wash and wax (if possible). Plus I try to lube the little things like pivot points and such. I don't think most people use OEM filters constantly. A K&N air filter, or oil filter, like oil and a lot of other things is a matter of preference.
  I Installed a BMC air filter on my C14, which is similar to the K&N. But the OEM paper filter works fine, although pricey to keep replacing. I also like using K&N oil filters. IMO they are a pretty solid built filter. Maybe or maybe not the best at protecting. That doesn't concern me as long as it does the job of proper filtration. But I like the solid construction, with the plus of the nut welded on the end of the K&N oil filter. It makes for easy removal at filter changes. And  I tend to use 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil. I will not mention the name as to try not to start an oil thread. There's plenty of oil threads you can read up on if you want to hear lots of different opinions. 

Cap'n Bob said:
Are you trying to start trouble?  Don't ever ask what kind of oil!    :))

Actually changing the oil when putting her away for the winter is the way to go. Along with adding fuel stabilizer. And plugging into a battery tender. I personally try to wash and wax (if possible). Plus I try to lube the little things like pivot points and such. I don't think most people use OEM filters constantly. A K&N air filter, or oil filter, like oil and a lot of other things is a matter of preference.
  I Installed a BMC air filter on my C14, which is similar to the K&N. But the OEM paper filter works fine, although pricey to keep replacing. I also like using K&N oil filters. IMO they are a pretty solid built filter. Maybe or maybe not the best at protecting. That doesn't concern me as long as it does the job of proper filtration. But I like the solid construction, with the plus of the nut welded on the end of the K&N oil filter. It makes for easy removal at filter changes. And  I tend to use 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil. I will not mention the name as to try not to start an oil thread. There's plenty of oil threads you can read up on if you want to hear lots of different opinions.

Yes, agree with Bob. Mention a brand of oil, and off we'll go. Here is what I do as far as winterization and bringing the beast to life in the spring....

1) I change my oil once a year. Omg you say. Amsoil 10W40 MCF Synthetic. It easily maintains viscosity for a whole riding season. But thats just me, I'm not saying its the best, just what the facts are. So I am changing it this coming weekend. New oil, new oil filter. I also run magnetic drain plug and a magnetic collar over the threaded tube the filter screws onto. Check it every year, to date, since 2008, nothing on the magnets. I use an Amsoil oil filter, only because if I'm having them send me a gallon for my bike, and a gallon plus a quart for my car, I might as well have them send filters.

2) Air filter, I use a Pipercross Street. I like it. Can wash it and re-oil, and it stops all the bad stuff and flows quite well.

3) Battery - its hooked up to the Battery Tender Plus from now until Spring. The Battery Tender Plus has float mode so it can stay attached constantly, unlike a trickle charger.

4) Gasoline - fill the tank ALL the way up, that way it can't condense water inside the tank. And put a stabilizer in the gas. I do this by taking the bottle of Sta-bil to the gas station with me, putting the right amount in the tank, and pumping the tank full, just above the slosh guard. Ride it home, put it up on front and rear stands to get the tires off the concrete, and let 10 pounds out of the tires.

5) Cover it with a cloth cover which will "breath" and won't trap moisture (its humid where I live).

Been doing it this way for over 4 decades. Never a problem.