• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

melting PR3s??

I saw that pic awhile back, if I remember correctly he was running from the cops and ran over a spike strip.

ZG said:
I saw that pic awhile back, if I remember correctly he was running from the cops and ran over a spike strip.

Yeah, that was the beginning of the summer or so. Was it verified that that's what happened? I personally don't remember.

I have no idea if someone is making this up or not, but I've seen Bridgestone tires on the 01 GoldWings throw chunks out of them that looked almost identical to those photos, and other tire manufactures have had similar type delamination issues when the outer layers of the tire tread didn't get properly bonded to the carcass during manufacture. While I don't know anything about the actual circumstances of this event, I'd wouldn't rule it out of the realm of possibilities. Over the years, I've seen various model Dunlops, Metzlers, Avons, and Bridgestones with delaminations, buldges, bubbles, and even throw large chunks out of the tread. I don't know why Michelin would be immune to this. Many times it's an indication that the tire has at one time been overheated for one reason or another, and it seems to happen more often on larger, heavier bikes.

Well, I chose to ignore the implications of the o.p. I ordered a PR3 190/55 ZR17 to try with my new PP2CT front in spite of this warning.  ;D

911ZG guy said:
Well, I chose to ignore the implications of the o.p. I ordered a PR3 190/55 ZR17 to try with my new PP2CT front in spite of this warning.  ;D

I too plan to order a new set of PR3's soon. And even if the report and photos are true, just cause they had a problem with one tire on one bike doesn't mean they are all junk. Every tire manufacture out there has various problems with tires, and no manufacture makes 100% perfect tires 100% of the time. Michelin also has  the BEST reputation for quality control of any tire manufacture in the world.

My guess is that this guy let his pressures get too low at least once prior to this incident, and they overheated as a result. He may have later increased their pressure and corrected the problem, but many times once a tire is run low and overheated, the damage has already been done.