• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MI - Spring Wrench 'n Grill Fest - Saturday 4/21/2012

Stasch

Hey MI COGgers,

Under the bold and fearless leadership of Dean Westermann, AAD, I am hosting a Wrench 'n Grill Fest on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at my place in Flushing, MI.  The event is open to all COGers.  You folks from Canada and nearby states are welcome.

I have a 1 car workshop and a 2 car garage.  Should be plenty of space to work out of the weather.  We can even turn up the portable heater if needed.

Tires / wheel bearings?  Electrical?  Valve Adjust?  Oil Change?  Coolant Change?  Farkle install?  Carbs?  Brakes?  Dilithium Crystal Chamber or Flux Capacitor installation?

Don't spend an arm and a leg at the dealer - do the work yourself and better yet, do it with friends to help and good food to be had.

9 - ish is a good time to start, but come when you can. 

I know my way around the C10's and my GPZ pretty well.  Not as familiar with C14's - others may be, so don't let that stop you.

I do NOT have a roll on bike lift or a tire changer.  They are on my wish list.  Feel free to permanently donate either of these to the cause.    ::)

I DO have a Morgan Carb Sync tool, motorcycle frame jack, home-made bead breaker, wheel weights, rim protectors, tire irons.

I have most of the other tools we would need for just about anything.  If you have any specialty tools that can make a job easier - bring 'em along.

Here's what we need from you:

- To let me know your plans so we can get a head count for food and space, and so I can get a map and directions out to you.
- Some wrench projects so we can plan the tools and equipment.
- Be willing to attend to help with the projects, cheer others on, learn by observing or just sit around a camp fire or on the deck.  Hey, we're not asking for much here!

If time permits, or there's no work to be done, we can go for a ride.

Hope to see you there.

Stan, sounds like a great idea, I traded my C-10 in but I kept all my spares that I took on trips. I'll bring them along in case someone needs something. I have used footpegs and brackets for both sides (after breaking one on Pikes Peak I carried spares)and a used J-box everything else is new. A set of sparkplugs,valvecover gasket, sparkplug hole gaskets, choke cable,both throttle cables,petcock rebuild kit,napa fuel filter, front brake pads, front wheel bearings and a headlight bulb. This is not a sales pitch, I thought that I would keep these parts on hand in case anyone in the area broke down and needed something.
I sold the C-10 but am still going to stay with COG, Deb and I have registered for the national and have talked the other couple that we tour with into attending.
Hope to see a bunch of people at the tech day
Gil F.

Ahhhhhhhhh, Ill be out of town working on that weekend!!!! Thats too bad, I would have made it a point to get over there for sure, and its a short ride too...only 38 miles!

TrenchFighter - too bad you can't make it.  Work really gets in the way of real life sometimes.

If you need help with anything, you could always pop over some other Saturday.

I'ld be glad to lend a hand.

Actually, SISF got my carbs turned around in record time...So now I'll need a Carb Sync tool, anyway you can come and help me sync my carbs of let me come and borrow the tool?

You dont sync the carbs on V8's so Im a little behind the curve now!

TrenchFighter said:
I can imagine that might get pretty confusing!
boss_hoss_american_cc_v8_motorcycle_bike.jpg

...So now I'll need a Carb Sync tool, anyway you can come and help me sync my carbs of let me come and borrow the tool?

Be glad to work out something to help you.  Too bad its not riding season - would be a great excuse to take a ride.

You ever get over to Flushing / Flint way?

Actually Ive never been over there once. It seems Im always heading to either Lansing (work) or to Novi (kids), but I could load up the bike and make a run out to you.

Now.....to get the cap off of my truck again.... :truce:

TrenchFighter said:
Actually, SISF got my carbs turned around in record time...So now I'll need a Carb Sync tool, anyway you can come and help me sync my carbs of let me come and borrow the tool?

When SiSF get done with your carbs they are very close to sync. Nice to do but you may not notice any difference when you do.

Stan, you know your killing me. That's the exact same weekend as the "Run with the Wulf" That's in Georgia you know.
Been wanting to show off the brakes. Make sure you set some time aside to get together this year. Nephew said
we will try and get over and sync his carbs, I guess my mercury sticks aren't good enough.
Later

I should be on board for this.  Valve adjustment you say?  I thought the bike has to sit over night?  I also need to adjust the wheel stem and have a mysterious oil leak by the water pump I could use help diagnosing.

Shawn,  Long time no hear from.  Hope you can make it. 

Yeah, the bike should be sitting overnight to be stone cold, but if someone brought one on a trailer, its doable.

Bring your bike and we'll see what we'll takle the steering head and check the oil leak.

The oil leak could be the clutch pushrod seal which is right by the WP. 

If its an oil leak at the WP, the O-rings and the seal can be replaced to solve the problem.  If there's coolant leaking then its WP replacement time.

Looking forward to having everyone out tomorrow for the Tech Day.

People are coming and bringing bikes to work on.  Stuff is ready: 

Garage
Tools
Grill
Coffee Pot
Food
Good weather including sunshine (yes, really).

Official weather word:

"Details for Saturday, April 21
Abundant sunshine. High 52F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.
Evening: Mostly clear. Low 32F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph."

The a.m. may be 'refreshing' but hey, its MI and we'll make the best of it.

So get on over, up or down here and join us.

Tech day is in the books.  There were 13 people including myself and 12 bikes. 

1 Ducati, 1 Harley Ultra Glide, 9 C10's and 1 C14.

Some came to get some stuff done to their bikes.  Some came to help, other's to 'supervise'.

This was the first event I've ever hosted.  It really wasn't too much work to get ready, and what work there was was enjoyable.  I think everyone had a good time and plenty to eat.

Thanks to everyone who came and made the day a good one.

Link to slide show of pics:  http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/582677243oLqlPf

All your mugs are in there.

Stan, thanks to you and Lori for hosting a very enjoyable tech day. I really enjoyed meeting some new people and getting to see old friends.  Good job on the slide show(I think that goes to Lori), got some good shots of a nice looking KLR.
Thanks again
Gil :)

A big :clap: to Stan for hosting the get-together!

Was a great turn-out, burnt some brats-n-dogs on the grill  :103: & got some maintenance done, ie;
Accessories installed on one,
petcock rebuild on another,
steering head bearing adjusted( the quick, hammer & drift method),
tire tube replacement on a belt-drive cruiser,
& finally, a carb balance on my bike( 1st one since the brand new break-in 13 yrs & 146,000 miles ago ), surprisingly, only one cylinder needed adjustment & not very much!

NO lost bike parts or tools either!  

p.s.  :c002: sorry 'bout the stains on the garage floor!

p.p.s. would those who attended shoot me your correct e-mail addy please?

sorry 'bout the stains on the garage floor!

Don't worry about it.  Its not the first, and won't be the last and will add to the patina which contributes a rare ambient quality to the meticulously cultured atmosphere I'm striving to achieve.

:))

Thanks for having us out Stan!  I got a lot done and I also wanted to thank you for helping out my man Marc with his Vulcan 900 tire repair.  Thanks to your better half for a great lunch too!  ;D

Thanks Stan, I really enjoyed myself.  I appreciated all of the good tips the fella's provided.  I have more work to do of course.  After this I'm thinking you'll have to take Lori on that second cruise  :nananana:

Stan - that was a great event!  Lots of good people, fun and food.  Thanks so much for including a couple of ex-Connie owners.

Shawn - let me know if you want to stop by and get hooked up with that resistor for your fuel gauge.  I have a whole bin full of them and that's an open invitation for anyone else that wants one. 

Jeff (on the Ultra)

Wish the weather was better on the east side of the border. I had rain and cool temps throughout the day. Didn't get the weather you had till Sunday here. Looks like a great time, maybe something will be happening during the summer that I can make.

:beerchug:

We at least had sun, but it was breezy and very cool - low 50's at the highest.

There are RTE's in May and July, and of course the National in June.  Hope to see you to at some or all of these.

DeansZG said:
  Shawn, did you notice a change since we tightened your steering head bearings?

Dean, yes.  There is definitely less "Slop" in my steering controls.  I also don't notice the 40 mph wobble.  thanks for the walk through.