• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

More Farkles For The KLR

gbyoung2

Whoda thunked lil' ole frugal me would still be farkling bikes this late in the game – theirs and mine. In this case, it was the KLR - again. I replaced the rear shock today with a Progressive 465 in prep for a multiday run over in the wilds of WV looking for grave markers of long gone relatives, including that of my great-grand dad. Also planning on running down to the old defunct coal mine of Nuttallburg along the New River. Getting down there is reported to be interesting on a narrow gravel road. Regardless, this place has been on my bucket list for a number of years, so might as well do it while I think I still can.

The KLR’s suspension has never been known to provide stellar performance. The last time I did anything of significance in the rear was when I replaced the stock shock’s spring with a Progressive 420 type to help combat my overloaded bike for the GDR Ride. It helped in that regard, but the spring severely overwhelmed the dampening capabilities of the basic shock itself, whose dampening basically became non-existent. That was done back in 2005 40K+ miles ago, so I know the shock it totally hosed and basically useless. I certainly don’t want the tail end of the bike pogoing over every little irregularity in the roads I know I’ll be on. I did install Progressive springs and Race Tech Emulators in the front at 45K miles, and that helped a bunch. So, time to help out the back end of the bike.

Sack was pretty much dead nuts right out of the box, and we’ll fool with the sag once I start playing with my intended load for the trip. Ditto that with the pre-load. Not expecting miracles, but any improvement over what I’ve been living with should be a revelation.

Time will tell.

Never ending - more "stuff" for the KLR.

Decided to change out the aging, segmented LED voltmeter, with the same digital type I installed on the Connie a couple of months ago, The one I replaced today was actually the second. The first one I installed shortly after getting the bike died after ~43K miles, but it was never as bright as the original, especially in bright sunlight. After installing the digital one on the Connie, I liked it so decided to put one on the KLR.

Shot below shows the original on the left, and the new digital on the right. You can easily tell that the one with the faded plastic has seen some use. It's been a good one and is still running strong.

KLR%20meters-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud
Never ending - more "stuff" for the KLR.

Decided to change out the aging, segmented LED voltmeter, with the same digital type I installed on the Connie a couple of months ago, The one I replaced today was actually the second. The first one I installed shortly after getting the bike died after ~43K miles, but it was never as bright as the original, especially in bright sunlight. After installing the digital one on the Connie, I liked it so decided to put one on the KLR.

Shot below shows the original on the left, and the new digital on the right. You can easily tell that the one with the faded plastic has seen some use. It's been a good one and is still running strong.

KLR%20meters-L.jpg

FWIW – that switch you see to the left of the voltmeter controls a 4-way flasher scheme I cooked up for the bike way back when. The 2002 KLR didn’t have that available, and since I was using the bike frequently to commute back and forth to work in all sorts of crappy weather, figured the 4-way made me a little more conspicuous. The Connie already had it, so why not the KLR? A couple of diodes, an electronic flasher, and a switch made it simple enough.

Last edited: