• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Morgan Carbtune Pro

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
I finally used my new Morgan Carbtune Pro for the first time yesterday. All I can say is 'Boy, that was easy.' I had some initial difficulty that had nothing to do with the Carbtune but it was remedied on these very forums. I had a hard time getting the vacuum hoses off to connect the Carbtune. The answer was to use needlenose pliers to gently grab the hoses and turn them back and forth and loosen them. After that, they came off easily. The Carbtune Pro has stainless steel rods instead of mercury or another liquid and they're pre-tuned so there's no need to calibrate it. Balancing the carbs took about 10 minutes. The only problem I had is that I was unprepared for the inaccessibility of the middle screw. I finally came up with a solution by using a 1/4" socket extender and a hex screwdriver bit. I replaced the air filter, spark plugs did a valve adjustment prior to the balancing. The improvement in performance was immediately noticeable. I'll report on fuel mileage in a week or so. :) ::EDIT:: I should also say that I bought a couple of sections of fuel line from the autoparts store and some hose connectors and clamps. This enabled me to use my fuel tank instead of an auxilliary tank.

How many miles do you have now Brett? Did you do all these changes at the same time, or did you ride it some in between? I'm wondering which one made the different in running or if it was a combination.

According to Big K, the carb synch should happen w/the valve adjustment which should happen every 6,000 miles. So, every 2 oil changes for me. I replace sparkplugs w/the valve adjustment too because it was suggested here and makes a lot of sense to me. (Plus, they're cheap). I did the airfilter because I don't know how the PO took care of the OEM, it was pretty nasty plus I upgraded to a K&N. I have 27,000 on mine and bought her with 13,000. I can tell when the valves need to be adjusted because I get a lug at low RPM's. It'll feel like it's bogging down in second gear when I make the slow turns in my neighborhood. According to Clymer, out of sync carbs will cause the bike to idle rough, rob you of power, cause the bike to run hot and lower gas mileage. If you want to use the Carbtune, let me know. I live in Winston. I'd like to have a tech session, but all I really know about wrenching on her is what I've learned here. Still, we can share tools and such and I am an expert manual reader. :) Clymer says do these in this order to tune her up. Clean/Replace air filter Replace spark plugs Adjust valves Check ignition timing Adjust idle Synchronize Carbs So I was just following the instructions. (It's not as daunting as it sounds, you can get it all done on a Saturday and you'll be 3 times faster after you've done it the first time.) Oh, and you WILL be rewarded with a happy, happy Connie.