• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MOTORCYCLE DOLLY

RICHKAWI

The riding season is coming to a close up here and soon my kids will be bringing their bikes to be stored in my garage. I use this down time to do some wrenching and I'll also take a ride about once a month. I've been thinking of picking up a few motorcycle dollies to make storing and moving within the garage easier.

Seems that the prices range from about $150 to $700. I will probably buy one of the Harbor freight ($150) units and see how well they work. Anybody have any experience or recommendations on the subject.

If you have a good garage floor without significant cracking (small visible cracks not a problem) where the concrete is not at different levels on either side of the crack...then I highly recommend the dolly "Park N Move" from Legal Speeding, similar ones now avilable from Admore and Redline. multiple sources. The floor does not need to be spotless but there is only about .025" clearance under the dolly when loaded with a C14 (hacksaw blade thickness). If you go that route I recommend riding up on a 1" to 1.5" piece of wood under the rear wheel to facilitate an easier lift up onto the center stand. Additionally I'm able to remove both wheels for tire changes by using a small auto jack and a piece of wood under the headers while the bike is on the dolly.

I have no experience with the HF dollies...except for the transmission lift dolly which is almost perfect moving and servicing my Suzuki DR650.

Last edited:
My garage floor is smooth and level. I also have a lift that I use when working on the bikes. The dollies are more for tight storage and to facilitate motorcycle access.
I did not consider the type of dolly in your photo. I had in mind the longer version that supports both wheels and the side stand. As two of the bikes in question have center stands, I will definitely give that a try. Also, I'm assuming that you tie off the center stand to prevent it from folding up when moving the bike. Thank you

My garage floor is smooth and level. I also have a lift that I use when working on the bikes. The dollies are more for tight storage and to facilitate motorcycle access.
I did not consider the type of dolly in your photo. I had in mind the longer version that supports both wheels and the side stand. As two of the bikes in question have center stands, I will definitely give that a try. Also, I'm assuming that you tie off the center stand to prevent it from folding up when moving the bike. Thank you
Ha! well, you know what they say about assuming.....

No I don't, maybe I should but I don't. First time I had both wheels off at the same time I ran a strap around the center stand and up around the oil filter so it wouldn't fold up on me...but since then I haven't bothered with it. If it doesn't roll forward easily then I find out why rather than pushing harder. Sometimes I just open the garage door and blow out the floor with a leaf blower ($10.00 goodwill store purchase) before I do any maneuvering because I already know there is going to be a problem if the floor is dirty. It really rolls easily if the wheels aren't locked and the floor is fairly clean.
Additionally the main reason I purchased the dolly is to get the bike turned around. I have an up hill driveway and doing a three point turn in it or backing all the way down to the street is a pain with my stubby legs. I ride in and put the bike on the dolly and push it aside. When its time to ride I pull it out to center and turn it around pushing down on the back to lift the front wheel.

If you have/can find the patience with this 'tuber's nonsense you really can get a pretty good idea of the product. His model has the thumb screws and mine has the cam levers. I think they have gone back to the cam levers but I'm not sure.

Last edited: