• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Murphs 90 degree C14 valve stems?

scrape

Changing tires soon on the C14 so looking into installing these at the same time.  Straight replacement of the OEM stems?  Anything I have to tell/warn my tire installer buddy in advance? 

Anyone have any practical use reports after installation?  After installation, have you encountered any inflation stations you could not use? 

I have not installed them. But from what I have heard from others. It was straightforward and pretty simple. Just unscrew the old ones and screw the Murph bent ones back in. Of course you probably want to be gentle with the sensor, just to be on the safe side! If I am wrong, please correct me. I know Fred has installed them on his. So I'm sure he'll be along in a little bit.

No issues, just like Bob said.  The stem is a two piece threaded assembly and the sensor has a hole in the center that the stem goes through.  There is a spring on the inside half of the stem that applies light pressure to keep the sensor against the rim.  The sensor is free to move a little if it overcomes the spring pressure.

The inside half of the stem requires an Allen wrench, so just make sure the tire guy is not a gorilla (i.e. doesn't try to over tighten it), and there should be no problem.  There is a rubber seal on the outer (bent half) of the stem that seals against the rim when it's tight.

Having the stem point out to the side makes access much easier.  I would say you would have more issues getting air with the stock, straight stem, at any given station than you would with the bent one.

Also, I noted mine required quite a bit more weight opposite of the stem to balance, something like 2-3/4 ounces.  This was with a new tire, so I won't know how much was the tire or the stem until the next new tire.

All in all, a great addition, and just another thing Kawi should have done from the factory.

Again, don't overtighten it and make sure it is centered when installed.  I had my brother do my rear valve while I did the front and he didn't have it centered.  It would lose about one psi everyday.  I removed and reinstalled and all is right with the world.

I installed them on my bike and haven't had any issues with them. Just be aware that there is a rubber seal on them, and they aren't meant to be really cranked down on when you tighten them. The manual says to use 40 inch pounds on them when you tighten the collar.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor

medium.jpg