• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My 2010 Is MISSING A Spare Key?

kern16

Street Cruiser
Good Evening
I guess I'll use my question as my introduction to this web site. Started on the Roadstar Forum moved to the BMW Forum (my last bike was an RT till a pickup truck decided to make me into a hood ornament!) Fast fwd a year and two months and I"m ready to ride again. Picked up a 2010 C14 with 1575 miles on it (ABS) and the owner (OWNS) our local HD Dealership (another story another time) Ok so I have the FOB with a spare key inside I got all that but I think I'm missing another important piece? What if I'm on a trip and lose the FOB? I'm I to understand there is a plastic one that was suppose to come with it for emergencies? I went to my local Kawasaki dealer and all I got was we have never sold one of those before (C14) so they were suppose to call me back........Never did? Does the plastic key (credit card) work alone without the FOB? Again I've tried to order this back up key but no luck?

THX N ADVANCE

The 2010 had one fob (which you have) and a back up credit card type fob. The difference being that the normal fob works two ways. The main function is on battery from a distance, which allows you to just hit the button and start the bike. But if the battery goes dead or fails. You can remove the spare hey out of the fob and place that slot (where the spare key goes) on to a notch on top of the ignitions switch housing. Now the KIPASS will work by using the RFID chip in your fob. Which will allow you to start the bike. The back up fob (or credit card fob), is basically the RFID portion of the normal fob. It will start the bike. But you need to place it on the ignition each time to start the bike.
So you should go back to this dealer and ask for the back up fob. If you lose the only fob you have now. It will cost a lot of money replacing parts to make the bike functional again. I suggest maybe even buying a back up normal dual fob as a spare. You will need the package of any new fob for programing.

The backup FOB was missing from the dealer when I purchased new 2010, so after a little back and forth, they've ordered a replacement. I believe it is about $40 (not sure exactly since they are covering), and then needs to be programmed to the motorcycle using the electronic FOB to "train" the chip - that requires maybe an hour or so of shop labor, so replacement total will probably be over $100. However, that sure beats getting stranded somewhere with a dead/lost FOB.

Ok I think I've got it now? I need to order the Credit Card Key from Kawasaki (even though they have never heard of it) it's a Plastic Key but it still has a chip N it so they will need to program it. Coming from the BMW side it's been an EASY transistion as to the bike but as far as dealer service now that's another thing all together.
Just N case the Kawasaki dealer does not come up with a key can I order it from someplace else and have it programmed? Something this important it's hard for me to believe that Kawasaki has not informed all their dealers to this..............Go Figure?

Regards

When using the RFID or backup FOB, you need to press and hold the stove knob key for a few seconds, before the system activates.  That tripped me up the first time I tried the procedure.

You should not have to order the credit card fob. It should have come with the bike. All C!4's come with two fobs. The 08-09, two normal fobs. The 2010-11 comes with one normal, one credit card fob. The dealer should provide it to you. Buying a second normal fob is probably a good idea though.

It sounds like the previous owner lost the CC fob.  I would recommend you ask him if he can find it,  if not order one and have it programmed at a local Kawi dealer.

Just to clear up some confusion, there are 2 ways a C-14 can authenticate a rider
1) RF transmission

This is just what it sounds like, a radio transmission to authenticate, whenever you press the activation knob (Stove knob) it sends out a radio signal that a RF Fob would reply to,    this requires the FOB to have a battery or some power source since it is actively TRANSMITTING a reply whenever queried by the Kipass ECU

2) RFID

This type of Chip does NOT have any rage or battery,  you need to hold this chip up to the antenna in order for it to read,  on the C-14 you would hold it up against the boss on the ign cylinder,  this is a slower system and takes longer to activate (as someone noted) but is there in case the RF system fails (Battery in the FOB etc)

The FOB you have which is a standard FOB, actually has BOTH chips inside it,  there is a powered radio system in there that is used most of the time, but if the battery dies, you can still use the RFID portion of the FOB to start the bike

Now the Kipass ECU can be programmed to recognize only a specific number of FOB's (Either RF or RFID)  I believe the current numbers are 6 RF Fobs and 10 RFID but I could be mistaken here,  however the important thing to note, is that once you use all 6 of the RF "slots" that the ECU can have, you can NEVER program another RF fob to the system,  RFID "slots" however can be re-used as long as one existing RFID chip or RF Fob is present and functional at programming time

The reason you want to have the backup, is because the way Kipass works, you MUST have an existing, working FOB present in order to program an additional FOB, (This FOB from what I understand can either be RF OR RFID, but MUST be present or no additional/new FOB's can be programmed)  As long as you have a spare FOB you can program an additional FOB, however if you lose your existing FOB, you would then need to buy a whole new Kipass ECU (which I THINK comes with 2 main FOB's).  This is a VERY expensive proposition (about 600 for the ECU plus labor to program it to the bike,  they are not plug and play)

Hope this helps :)

Just an update on the FOB topic - as mentioned above, the dealership had "misplaced" the passive "credit card" immobilizer for my new 2010 that I purchased in June. After learning through this forum that I should have one, we went back and forth, and had to loop in Kawi Consumer Services - they were very helpful BTW.

The new immobilized came in last week and I rode in to the shop on Saturday to have it programmed. The techs had never done this before, had problems, and asked that I bring it in on a weekday when they could have a Kawi service tech on the phone. I did so yesterday.

Bottom-line, it works! The local guys have been great to work with, and actually seemed to appreciate the opportunity to learn the system. To their defense on the back and forth, they don't sell all that many Concours here, and this was the first time they had come across a missing FOB issue. Next time, they'll know the procedure.

FYI - once they determined the proper procedure, it took maybe 5 minutes to complete. It seems that the real issue is in the software packaging and instruction manual, the details are pretty sketchy. It may be that the process is so simple, the writers assumed it was mostly intuitive? Its not.

The SAGA continues. Our local Kawasaki dealer called to say the spare fob had arrived! Took off from work this am to run the bike over and YES they had ordered a spare fob ie: the flat one that will fit in your billfold but guess what there was NO key in it? So just an FYI they are two different part #'s so if you order the backup all you will receive is the black key holder with chip but it will contain NO key......

Remaining Calm
Phillip

I like your closing "Remaining Calm".  Most of us (including me) all too often blow a fuse over little things.  :mad:

Thank You Ken,
Coming from the BMW side I can not say enough WONDERFUL things about the CONNIE! However to say their is night and day difference between the BMW dealerships and the Kawasaki dealerships would be an understatement! I need to say this in all honesty. My dealer is NEW to Kawasaki it's main line has been Yamaha and Suzuki they just took on the Kawasaki line a few months ago. I'm going to look at is as an honest mistake and being new to the KIPASS system it could have happened to anyone?

Regards
phillip

I guess you were implying that being a BMW dealer makes them better?  In that case I’m lucky that my Kawi dealer has been selling them for at least 30 years and is also a BMW dealer.  The same guy Joe, greeted me 28 years after selling me my last of three Kawasaki motorcycles.  I think by now they know what they are doing.  But let’s face it, the most important thing is the guy in service wrenching on your bike.

BMW and Kawasaki dealer now that is the BEST of both worlds! Of course I could add Triumph and Vespa in there?

Regards
phillip

They had a BMW KT-1200 parked right next to a 2011 Black Concours and a 2011 Silver Concours.  Decisions, decisions, and even more decisions.  And the winner was Silver. And it was totally the right call.  ;)

I was all set to pull the trigger on another RT1200 and fate intervened ie: called the dealer to say "I'll Take It" and he had just sold it (4) hours before my call. My local HD dealer had the 2010 Connie it was actually his bike but I got the feeling it did not set well with his customers so with 1575 miles and all the FARKELS you could ask for (almost) fate intervened again and I'm now a Connie owner! Like you said I couldn't be happier............

PS: Well I could be happier if I could ever get a %$#@ spare key!

Regards
phillip

My key came N Friday! They were closed Monday so it has taken Tues and Wed to program the key so am I "Good To Go?" NOPE now a locksmith has to come to the dealership to "Cut The Key?"
Again to be fair the dealership has been up front and honest with me ie: to replace a spare Connie key has not been asked before so this has been a learning experience for the dealership and myself...

Maybe this link will be of some help to the next rider that needs a simple spare key....I hope so?

Regards
phillip

Funny story.

I was reading on the forum, possibly this thread, that my 2011 should have come with two key FOBS (key word as I thought a fob was only the big one).  I looked and only had one.  Well, here at least, the Connie is fairly rare, so I called the dealership and they said, 'Yeah, uh, I think your right it should probably have two.' So I get a call a couple days later saying they had ordered it (it being a whole new set) and to set the bike up for a day long service appointment to get it programmed.  No big.  Brand new spare fob is programmed and I'm home reading this thread.

So I'm reading again and I start looking at all the fobs/keys/cc's I have for this bike and now I have four!  Two full size fobs with keys and two cc RFIDs with keys.  Take home: the KIPASS is so foreign to the dealership, they didn't even realize how many things they needed to program or have for this bike.  Either way, I got a spare set on them without realizing (them or me) that I had what comes with the bike... and I'm certain it wasn't cheap. 

Thank you COG!! ;) 

That's GREAT U picked up a spare at N/C I'm still setting here waiting on the call as the locksmith has not yet made it to the dealership........Ahhhhhhhhhh the saga continues?

Regards
phillip

Well since I started this SAGA I might as well go ahead and finish it? Locksmith came I picked the bike up at the dealership but they said the key had slipped in his cutting machine. Bottom line is the key will work but it has to go in the lock only one way ie: not too sided as I assume it's suppose to be?
They ordered me another key blank will call when it comes in and I'll meet the locksmith for what I HOPE will be the final time? If you fortunate enough to have a SPARE guard it with your life............

Regards
phillip

PS: I put the spare in my billfold but noticed it's a tad BULKY.......Where do U keep your spare?