• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My advice to new, or past, riders about the C14.

dalroo

Road Bike
Since purchasing my C14 in May, I have let one friend with a lot of riding experience ride it, and he is hooked with a pre-order in for a 2012. I have another friend who asked to ride it, but the timing did not work out, but even so he too felt this was the bike for him to get back into riding. At first I was excited to have another good friend on a "like" bike, but after deliberating for a few days, I advised him to start on something different, and reconsider down the road. Bottom line, I would feel very guilty if he were to get hurt thinking the C14 is a good re-entry motorcycle.

I've ridden for many years, and have owned lots of different motorcycles - of all different types, and while it is a fantastic all-around motorcycle, the Concours is NOT for the faint of heart. It is far too smooth and powerful for a novice, or someone with lapsed skills. Even with almost 40 years of riding history, I find myself riding very aggressively at times and have had to really dial back the throttle.

Am I alone in this, or being too catious? I love this bike, but feel pretty strongly that it can be very deceiving............

No, you're not alone. I've been riding for 40 years also this year, and this is my first fast bike. I haven't even broken it in yet, and what I thought was non-impressive acceleration, blew me away when I looked at the speedo. I'm going to be really careful too.

The C14 was my re-entry bike at age 60 after about 10 yrs.  No doubt that you can get way over the top very quickly.  This bike kinda demands confidence (and your undivided attention) but also builds it. I would not consider this a 'tame' ride.  I would not recommend this bike (or any other big bike) for a novice or if you consider yourself timid or nervous on a bike.  However, if it's the right bike for you it's very, very right. :motonoises:

I don't think you can make that kind of generalization. I think they are better on this bike with traction control and ABS turned on then something smaller without those features. If you don't have the ability to make good decisions the size of the bike is not going keep you out of trouble.

This is a hard one to answer,  generally as a rule I will steer someone who is either a novice or been out of riding for a long time away from this bike as it is easy to get in trouble due to the power and low speed characteristics.    However that being said it's not IMPOSSIBLE to learn to ride or get back into riding on a C-14, , it just makes it more difficult, but not impossible......

Maybe a returning rider might fare ok on a C14, but a noob? No freakin' way. Power aside, we're talking about a big, heavy bike here. I remember taking the MSF course way back when and watching people in the class with zero experience wobbling around on little 250 Rebels....there's no way I'd recommend a new rider start off on a C14.

After 20 years of non-riding, I got back into the sport on a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. Rode that for a year and a half, then moved up to a 2011 Concours. It is not my first big bike, had a 1987 Gold Wing, but it did take a little bit to become confident on the Connie. I'm still not peg-draggin' confident, but I'm getting there.

No way would I suggest a Connie for a newbie!! Not sure if I would suggest it to someone that hadn't ridden in a number of years either.

This year marks my 40th year of motorcycle riding. Self taught as that is the way it was done back then where I lived. Did not ride every year all those years and until I purchased my 08 C14 in Febuary 09 probably had not been on a bike in seven or eight years. Pretty much knew what I wanted when I purchased the C14 and was determined to master riding it. Last bike I had before the C14 was a 1972 HD Superglide which I still have sitting in the corner of the garage so the change was huge. Took a basic rider course as soon as I could but was riding the C14 by then. True one can get in trouble in a hurry on this bike and like others have said I have to curb my enthusiasm alot when riding. I have always said that a bike only goes as fast as your right hand tells it to. As long as you can control that you should be good. Just realize this is a large and very fast machine that can get one hurt or worse in a hurry if not respected!

I got the C14 to go along with two very nice restored bikes as my new dependable ride for long distances . Having had a Honda CBX in 1982, I was familiar with a big powerful touring bike. The C14 is very much like the CBX and riding it was familiar. One thing that has been an issue ,though, is the high seat. I am 5-11 and have never had a problem with seat height before, but at a stop on the C14, I cannot get really good control of the bike,especially with a passenger on the back, and even worse if the road has sand or gravel on it. The pegs are in the way of holding your leg straight down to the ground . It is bad enough that I just don't take anyone out on it anymore. I'll probably trade it for a touring bike with a better seat design. I do like the looks and the power but if you're afraid to ride it for fear of dumping it at a stop, it's not the right bike.

Dalroo, I'd say it is totally dependent on your friend's riding style and ability to control the urges to "run".  I've known guys that re-enter on big bikes and do fine, but I'm SURE there are others that don't fare so well.  It's the rider that's the key.

skytzo said:
Maybe a returning rider might fare ok on a C14, but a noob? No freakin' way. Power aside, we're talking about a big, heavy bike here. I remember taking the MSF course way back when and watching people in the class with zero experience wobbling around on little 250 Rebels....there's no way I'd recommend a new rider start off on a C14.

IMHO it is technically possible to learn to ride on a big, heavy powerful bike. It would just be VERY VERY difficult to do and is NOT a good idea....  I have those same memories from MSF of watching people drop 125/250's at low speed etc, but I do know of people who did learn on big heavy bikes (Harleys usually)

Still...I agree, a C-14 is a really really bad choice for a Noob...

lsgiant said:
I don't think you can make that kind of generalization. I think they are better on this bike with traction control and ABS turned on then something smaller without those features. If you don't have the ability to make good decisions the size of the bike is not going keep you out of trouble.
X2 It's a very easy bike to ride if you ride it easily, and the safety features are great, particularly for this price point.

I've been riding 42 years, if I include the time on mini-bikes and dirt bikes, but there are folks who have been riding only six or eight years who have better skills and, probably, better judgment.  :'( Part of skill is ability/talent. I'm not a "natural", so I've had to really practice to achieve decent proficiency in areas that some others seem to master quickly. Part of it is miles too. Yes, I've ridden lots of years, but for many of them I was riding only a couple thousand miles per year, if that. Also, when my kids were little I took a few years off, because I was worried about hurting myself and not being able to support them. My dirt-biking days also taught me LOTS of bad habits, and I didn't even know they were bad habits until I got some formal rider safety and track training. In fact, it's really only in the last ten or twelve years that I started to focus seriously on developing road survival skills and learning motorcycling like the skill/sport it is. As a twenty-something I couldn't have cornered deeply enough to scrape the foot-pegs if somebody had put a gun to my head. I just didn't have the skill/confidence. As it turns out, it IS possible to ride a couple hundred miles per month for fifteen or twenty years and STILL basically suck.  :))

On the other hand, I sold my first BMW R1200GS to a young guy who had been riding only about two years at the time -- but he'd put about 30,000 miles on a Kawasaki KLR650, and he'd taken advantage of as much rider training as he could get. He was a very good rider and it was obvious. He put another 25,000 miles on my old GS the first year he had it and, by the end of the following year he'd become a motorcycle safety foundation instructor. He rides that GS on single track that most people wouldn't consider riding. He does it with grace and makes it look easy too. So, at four years and two bikes into his riding career he's already a much better rider than I am 20++ bikes and 40+ years into my riding career. He just is.

Skill and miles matter. Years? Not so much -- at least not in a good way.

I rode a Yamaha 400, then bought a Honda 650 Nighthawk and I maybe put a total of 3000 miles on them before I was deployed to Beirut in '82. Haven't ridden since. In June 2011 purchased a KLR 650 and got back into riding. The next July I purchased my C14. A mere 3 miles from the dealership I had to talk to the Oklahoma HiPo as 75 mph came way too easy and without warning. 1/2 hour later while entering my driveway for the first time I over applied the front brake just as I stopped and down to the right I went. All I could do is laugh and pick it up. Two days later I did the same pausing while going out of the driveway. Connie let me know who she was right off, and since then we've come to a great understanding. 4,700 miles on the C14 in two months. (5,500 on the KLR during the same timeframe) I am a licensed flight instructor so maybe as a "noob" I might have a different approach and mindset, that keeps me safe and out of trouble? It would have been nice to know about the "front brake/heavy bike thing" right off, but Connie got my attention. Live and learn, and learn I did. Speed/Power shouldn't be the issue, as there are too many things that we all can get our hands on that we can go too fast on. The single cylinder KLR can go too fast too easy also. Poor judgement and "noobee" don't have to be synonymous. 

As a side note, If you ever should break off that aluminum break peddle away from competent maintenance personnel, obtain a 1/2 inch electrical conduit connector, tap it into a slightly oblong shape by tapping on the screw holes (screws removed). Tap one end onto the portion of the peddle still attached to the bike, insert the broken off part, tighten the screws and voila!
Also, I never repaired the minor scratches from the two drops. They are a constant reminder that Connie is a big girl and she must be treated with respect. Concurrently, had a deer bolt directly in front of me on the C14 while at 65 mph on a curve. On the KLR or in my car it would have been a direct T-bone into the side of that deer, but the C14 dove and tucked down to the pegs as if computer controlled, and I passed effortlessly right behind that critter. As I pulled through the curve, only then I began to slow. Wow what a bike! She can be just as safe as she can be menacing. I'm confident that it was more a superb bike/terrific engineering thing than it was luck or skill that saved my butt.

Too bad Bambi is going to have to meet another piece of superb engineering I own---my Parker Cyclone crossbow!!  :))

I would recommend a new Concours owner gets used to the bike on a very familiar road for the first month or so. Especially if you are not used to such a heavy bike. At proper speed it might be the safest bike out there. Where the problem lies is when the turn up ahead says 25 MPH and you think you are doing 40 and you are doing 65. However if you don't panic these bikes are capable of turning way above posted limits. You will get caught not paying attention and that strange feeling in the seat of your pants will be felt. Have faith just grip it and rip it. It is the only bike I have ever ridden that I have to check my speed visually all the time. I am always travelling faster than I think.

I rode a ton in my early days; my last motorcycle was a Kawi KZ-1000.  I then paused for 28 years before buying the 2011 C-14.  In that down time, I did log many thousands of miles on two wheels, but without a motor.  I’m sure that some of those bike handling skills on both Mountain and Road bikes translate, especially cornering lines, braking, and dealing with cagers, etc.

It honestly was a bit nervy pulling out with the powerful new ride onto a very busy road (the same reason why I didn’t even test ride the bike-I decided based on the COG forum!).  I was impressed with how well I was riding, but did realize weeks later that it took some time for all of the skills to come back, and those first few days of riding were not as good as I thought.  I did think a bit about asking someone to loan me a smaller bike for practice, or have the dealer take the bike to a big parking lot.  In the end, I made the conscious decision to go for it, but would not recommend that to anyone. The prudent thing would be to take a refresher motorcycle safety course. 

The C-14 is so powerful and smooth that 70 mph comes on very fast just moving up through the gears.  That is definitely something to monitor.  The handling, braking, traction control and everything we love about the machine, makes riding it easy and a pleasure. 

After 23 years of not riding i finely got back on a bike  , a new 2011 conours, i love my connie! . i do not think it was to much to get back on if you respect the bike just my 2 cents

Ersky said:
After 23 years of not riding i finely got back on a bike  , a new 2011 conours, i love my connie! . i do not think it was to much to get back on if you respect the bike just my 2 cents

There is truth in that. The variable cam timing of the C14 may make it much easier at low speeds to handle than the ZX14, which is spikey, even with a well practiced wrist. Took me 3 years to master my ZX14's throttle.

If you think back over 2011s accidents that you know of, what percentage of them were riders biting off more than they can chew? Pretty high, huh? So ride below your limit, and live to ride that bike a long time.

I have over 30 years of street riding. I  bought my 14 a couple of years ago( 2009). I am actually stepping down in power and performance, my previous 2 bikes were a 2004 ZX12R and a 2008 yamaha R1. Owning the connie... its heavy compared to what i have previuosly owned , but much more comfortable. its nimble for weighing as much as it does, its a bit harder to flick into the corners, but its an all around bike that you can take to the twisties and still ride halfway accross the country on without to much physical pain, and stiffness. I agree with the O.P., your buddy needs to find a small lightweight, cheap bike that he can crash a few times before he steps up and runs with the big dogs.

Thanks for the info.  Sold my Valkyrie interstate in 07' and looking to retool with the 12' C-14.  Lookin gto take some trips to the large parking lot near my home to re-introduce myself to two wheels again.

Just keep in mind that it is a tall, heavy and powerful bike and you'll be fine. Happy motoring... :beerchug:

rcannon409 said:
Its such a specialized bike, I cannot imagine a new person who knew enough to want one.
I guess I'm a rare individual. My 2011 is my first bike ever. I've ridden other peoples bikes, and had a good idea what to do, but I had no idea what to expect with the Connie. To be honest, she made me nervous, but not so much that I wouldn't ride her. I grew a pair - got on the bike daily, and learned (in the parking lot, on the street, on the superslab, in the twistiest).
I had a healthy respect for her power and weight, and worked it out. So I'm 8500 miles this season, and have more miles on her than anyone in my riding group. I've only had her since March, and I just love this bike. My dealer/mechanic was impressed how I got right on an open class bike after not owning one, and got used to it. I took my brothers advice and "got the bike I wanted". I would never have looked back. I guess with only 8500 miles I'm still a novice; but I don't feel like one, and I feel my experience with my Motorcycle has taught me a healthy respect for riding.
"

I wouldn't worry about it being a fast bike. As long as he is cautious for the first few hours, riding at or above the speed limit won't be a problem. Maybe he should ride around on small back-country roads for a while, to get re-acquainted with riding.  I would however be very careful at low speeds, specially in parking lots. It is a very top heavy bike. And we all know that plastic is expensive. 
Don't ask how I know. :(

It seems most of the folks here got on a Connie after years of experience or after a break with years of previous experience.  I, on the other hand, got on a Connie after just under a year on a Suzuki C50T Cruiser as my starter bike.  I had ridden mini bikes and small dirt bikes way bake 25 years or so ago in my pre-teen years so I was not completely new.

I took the MSF riding course and was pretty solid. 

I cautiously got on a Connie and was worried what I would do with this much bike, with its capabilities, sheer power and acceleration.  After about 10 miles worth of riding I was much more comfortable on this bike than on the Suzuki.  Could this have been false confidence?  Of course but I would like to think my maturity made the difference.  And there inlays the rub. There are too many variable to dictate what a person will do with anything.  My wife (a teacher) is always telling stories of kids with natural responsibility well beyond their age.  That is one end of the age spectrum.  Now my dad who has had a host of medical issues and is now 66 years old is simply too dangerous to drive.  Until you have had that conversation with a parent you cannot understand that challenge and pain.

So here is my opinion about the Connie as a first bike.  If the person is wise, respectful of their personal limitations married with the real capability of the bike, it is a good idea.  This bike in the hands of an immature and over confident person? TERRIBLE COMBINATION.

Arguably  the sales person should have some kind of responsibility to "advise" a person if they are getting in over their heads.  When I purchased my bike, brand spankin' new off the floor, I let the sales person know how concerned I was transitioning from a cruiser and with a short time of experienced.  He was very patient and his advice to me was to leave the traction control on and brake settings and suspension setting alone for at least 1,000 miles.  Keep the air in the tires right and reminded me to not be aggressive with it.  I certainly respected and although I was very nervous I heeded his advice and it has been a rewarding and wonderful experience.  Furthermore, I have a ride mentor who rides sport bikes and has for many many years who was keeping me straight until his deployment but still emails and checks on me.

In closing I don't think motorcycle selection is wholly about experience but includes maturity as well as understanding and respecting ones individual capabilities.

I have been riding and racing bikes for I guess about 45 years now. My new C14 is my first real foray back into real street bikes in probably 15 years. I have been doing the cruiser/tourer thing while off the track. My last bike was a 2009 Kawi Voyager.
Note that many "newbies" after a short course go out and get an ultra-classic or the like and do fine.
Now note this- the Concours is NOT a big bike. It is NOT a heavy bike. It's slow speed and fast speed and mid speed handling characteristics ARE EXCELLENT. With the traction control, the power is extremely manageable.
The only drawback I see for a newbie with a c14 is that it will go fast. Note- ALL motorcycles on the street will go fast enough to break the law and fast enough to kill their riders. If you do not have the sense to manage the throttle properly on any streetbike,
then you shouldn't be on a streetbike. Next time a newbie tells me he wants a voyager or ultraclassic I'm gonna say- "psst- come look what I got!"
By the way, I am also 5'8" tall and can flat-foot and carry passengers on the bike just fine.

motodoc said:
Now note this- the Concours is NOT a big bike. It is NOT a heavy bike.
In comparison to what, a Goldwing?  ::) When I used to jump onto my ZRX1200 after riding the C14 it felt like a dirt bike in comparison - and compared to a modern sportbike, the ZRX is a pig. If you don't consider a bike pushing 700 lbs. heavy, what DO you consider a heavy bike?

I got the C14 in 09 after 30 years of restored classics (generally smaller and lighter, even the"big" ones from the day) and an 82 CBX (very similar to a C14). Its parking lot behavior is a handful due to weight and the high seating position which limits leverage from the legs. I think handling the power is pretty simple, just dial up what you want. The thing you can't control so easily is the weight and the low speed manuvering. When I have a passenger on the back, it gets worse. Road manners are excellent and the bike is very sure footed with good brakes and smooth shifting and acceleration. Part of the issue is that I am getting older and the weight is becoming more of an obstacle. 30 years ago, I could horse stuff around better.

I also was surprised that someone would think the C14 is not a heavy bike. To me, 700 lbs is a heavy bike. There are the 900 pounders like the Goldwing, Voyager 1700, Ultra Classic or a Boss Hoss , but 700 is no lightweight. I bought a 2011 ZX10R  (450 lb) recently as I wanted to add a more flingable bike to my stable and I had tried the Hyabusa and ZX14 first because I like a lot of power. Both of them were too heavy for me to feel like they were easily handled. They felt too close to the C14. Since the liter bikes have plenty of power, this was a good fit.  The weight has a lot to do with the confidence in low speed handling for me.

skytzo said:
motodoc said:
In comparison to what, a Goldwing?  ::) When I used to jump onto my ZRX1200 after riding the C14 it felt like a dirt bike in comparison - and compared to a modern sportbike, the ZRX is a pig. If you don't consider a bike pushing 700 lbs. heavy, what DO you consider a heavy bike?

Most of the bikes on the road. A Goldwing, yes, a voyager, a Royal Star, even a VN1700 classic, a Yamaha warrior. Most of the bikes out there now are in the 1200+cc range, 700 to 1000 pounds is common. The concours feels like a dirtbike compared to my voyager. While the Harleys are small in dimensions, they are not small in weight, and don't handle worth beans. Most bikes on the road by far now are V-twin cruisers and tourers, and the concours is a small bike compared to most of them! I also have a Guzzi Lemans, and the concours is bigger than that, and outweighs it by 150 pounds. So the very correct issue you brought up is- "not very big in comparison to what"- the answer, most biukes on the road now.

oldmots said:
I also was surprised that someone would think the C14 is not a heavy bike. To me, 700 lbs is a heavy bike. There are the 900 pounders like the Goldwing, Voyager 1700, Ultra Classic or a Boss Hoss , but 700 is no lightweight. I bought a 2011 ZX10R  (450 lb) recently as I wanted to add a more flingable bike to my stable and I had tried the Hyabusa and ZX14 first because I like a lot of power. Both of them were too heavy for me to feel like they were easily handled. They felt too close to the C14. Since the liter bikes have plenty of power, this was a good fit.  The weight has a lot to do with the confidence in low speed handling for me.

Again the answer is- "in comparrison to what". I guess I am a bit unusual in crossing over from the cruiser world. The cruisers are unwieldly pigs compared to any of the sport or sport touring bikes. is the concours my Lemans, or is it a ZX6R? NO. But honestly I don't want to ride my Lemans or a ZX6R long distances on the road, though they are a blast on the track. Too small, it just doesn't feel right- especially with a passenger (which is a mute point on my Lemans), the riding position sucks if you spend more than 15 minutes going in a straight line. To be comfortable, I had to put risers on the concours. To me it is positively slick, manageable, easy. Any other "dresser" riders out there give me a hand!

motodoc said:
skytzo said:
motodoc said:

Most of the bikes on the road. A Goldwing, yes, a voyager, a Royal Star, even a VN1700 classic, a Yamaha warrior. Most of the bikes out there now are in the 1200+cc range, 700 to 1000 pounds is common. The concours feels like a dirtbike compared to my voyager. While the Harleys are small in dimensions, they are not small in weight, and don't handle worth beans. Most bikes on the road by far now are V-twin cruisers and tourers, and the concours is a small bike compared to most of them! I also have a Guzzi Lemans, and the concours is bigger than that, and outweighs it by 150 pounds. So the very correct issue you brought up is- "not very big in comparison to what"- the answer, most biukes on the road now.
Most bikes on the road are not big heavy cruisers or touring bikes, unless you happen to call Sturgis home.

Sure, many cruisers outweigh a connie but they're not the majority of bikes on the road in my experience.. at least where I live. However, even assuming they are more plentiful those bikes have a seating position far lower to the ground than a stock C14. I've seen a lot big old fat guys having a hard time slow speed controlling a harley/cruiser in a parking lot. I can't imagine the disaster they'd have if they were in a saddle as high as a C14 with the weight it does have behind it.

Edit: To back you up though, I do agree it handles really well and feels light. I actually find it far easier to handle and lighter feeling than my ST1100 which I still have.

LOL- not Sturgis, but West Texas. I am the only wierdo in town with a sport- other than the teens and 20 somethings. I belong to the CMA, and there is a sister organization called "fast lane" which is supposed to be for sport bikes- still full of Harleys here!
Where do you live? I have to ride over 100 miles to find any good roads. I have actually been thinking of buying/building a small trailer to pull my Lemans behind the concours. I think that would be pretty fun!

Slow speeds take a little getting used to. I tried the driving course at the BMV over the weekend on it with a buddy that was practicing. My results were not what I expected and although I would not have failed I was not impressed by my results. I find I take hard slow turns differently on this bike. U-Turns are more difficult. The learning curve on the Concours 14 is different than any bike I have ever rode. It is nothing like my old 1976 KZ900. If you think it is not agile at low speed watch this LEO handle it 2011 Roseville Police Motor Competition- Kawasaki Concours 14  Like anything else practice can cure alot of ills...Tim