• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My latest bike purchase

Strawboss

Thought I'd share something I picked up for my wife. 1982 CB125S, not sure what the "S" stands for, "stripper" my wife says as it has kick start and drum brakes only. All original except battery, all factory, all stock, 750 original miles, last registered 1987. Electronic ignition, starts first kick every time, complete and unboogered, everything works. Runs fairly well on half-choke only so this winter looks like its getting some carb work. Was asking around about maintainence tips at the other joint as I've never had a bike with a side stand only. Parts aren't a problem, they still make it in China and Honda still sells a lot of parts in the U.K. Only Michelin makes tires that fit exactly, I don't like the tread pattern but they match. $900USD

_11_0076.jpg

Well the exhaust note when you wind it out sounds like I'm going 70mph, when really, I'm only doing10! I originally thought "S" was a cruel Japanese joke, "no starter", hah! Americans, so smart. You can start the thing with your hand.

Motorcycles like these are tremendous starter bikes and little run-around-town bikes. When I started riding in the early 60's, 125's were midsized, 50cc, small and the "big" bikes were 305's. Now the starter morors for C-14's have more horsepower than the 305's did (or so it seems).

Dan

1975 CB 125S was my first bike.  100mpg and a great learner.  Didn't do well on caution ripples! :-X

Reid, I know the thing doesn't have a lot of power, but it just seems like it doesn't want to go any faster than 40mph. And to get to that I need a flat straight of about a quarter mile. I'm going to run some seafoam through it before cleaning the carb.

Strawboss said:
Reid, I know the thing doesn't have a lot of power, but it just seems like it doesn't want to go any faster than 40mph. And to get to that I need a flat straight of about a quarter mile. I'm going to run some seafoam through it before cleaning the carb.
That is a bit slow.  I could get up to 65-70mph on mine.  It had a front disc brake too.  Cool little commuter.

Thats what I figured. Carb cleaning in order. This bike is an anomoly for me. Drum brakes, kick start only. They say "S" meant sport, nah, I don't think so, "stripper" maybe but not sport.

Ooo, let me try....  "S" i for street  :)
A SL125 was my first road bike (well... when I was old enough to get a permit, it became a road bike  :motonoises: )
Rarely took it on the highway. Even after doing a little motor work, it couldn't maintain 65 up a hill.
Then I stepped up to a CB450...