• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Naming Convention

warrantbrent

Tricycle
Hello all,

I am looking for some admin input here too, but can we please us a naming convention to help ease the browsing for rides? I think it would be helpful to have a naming convention such as

State abbreviation - Date - zip - description (PA-12MAR16-19540 Park ride)

I can quickly look for rides in my state, see if its a date I can make, and then figure out where it is. When I see something like "the sheets in williamsport", I don't know if there is more than one sheets etc.

Just a suggestion of course. But it would help me.

I suggest that rides should be posted on the online event calendar and just linked to from the forum. Afterall, this is the official place for all COG activities.

The naming convention for the online Calendar of Events does not need a date as it is implied by the calendar, but can be added for the forum title. The state of event origination is is brackets. This is needed to be picked up by the new mini-calendars being added to the home page and soon to the forum.

Example...

Lake Loop Ride 3/28/16 [MA]

WG, I haven't looked closely at the map but that is way cool,  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Okay so I looked again at the map and that is awesome, just hovering over a pin brings
up a bunch of info and even a link to the event. Super easy and the color coding is cool
too. I'll buy you a  :beerchug: at the next event because that is sweet!

Thanks for putting that up.  :)

WG said:
Or, perhaps, you could just look at the map I have been experimenting with on the NE Events page to graphically figure out what's near you ...

How can North Central COG steal, I mean plagiarize, I mean collaborate on a version for their region?  Would love to adopt your visual planner for rides in our area.

Matt
SE WI AAD

I suggested this for the whole country a year or two ago. Then someone suggested I don't suggest things I can't help to put into practice.  :truce:

Teach me - I would love to add to this for the SE region. I'd follow up on a link or a lesson. Do you think each region should have its own? That USA map covered in pins has been a twinkle in my eye and I would love to see some more events on there. That would really move COG forward IMO.

Nice work! :beerchug:

Fais said:
I suggested this for the whole country a year or two ago. Then someone suggested I don't suggest things I can't help to put into practice.  :truce:

Teach me - I would love to add to this for the SE region. I'd follow up on a link or a lesson. Do you think each region should have its own? That USA map covered in pins has been a twinkle in my eye and I would love to see some more events on there. That would really move COG forward IMO.

Did you have an appropriate counter suggestion?

I like the idea of having the national map. Would probably be harder to manage but nice for traveling folks to see the whole pictur.

Thanks, everyone.  I have been playing with this recently to try to give a more visual representation of the events in my area.  I am not completely satisfied with how this implementation has to be updated and there are a few other ideas I have that this implementation doesn't make possible, so I'm not declaring it "done," yet.

For those who want to experiment, the site you can use to create/update the map is: http://www.zeemaps.com

You can insert pins individually or you can upload a spreadsheet.

Matt: After posting this, I'll respond to your e-mail with slightly more detail than I gave above.
Fais: I don't know if each region should have its own.  If we were able to figure out a way to have it kept up-to-date better than this implementation, perhaps it would be best to have a national map.  If we did that, however, it would be nice to have a "search" feature (say, "show me all events within 250 miles of my zipcode").  That would allow someone closer to a region's border to see events in multiple areas more easily.

AND NOW A QUESTION (primarily for my Northeast brethren/sistren, but others can chime in, too):

As of right now, all events listed in the northeast region's calendar of events are given a pushpin and will remain on the map until I clean out the calendar to start over for 2017.  Would it be better to remove events from the map after they have occurred so as not to have people investigating things that are no longer possible to attend?  An alternative might be to leave the pin on the map, but change its color to show that it has already occurred.  Thoughts?

Yes, clear out past items.

Can this map be automated off the RSS feed like the mini calendar on the cog homepage?

gPink said:
Fais said:

No, I agreed and have kept an eye out for something like this. Now, here we are and WG is all over it :great:

WG said:
Thanks, everyone.  I have been playing with this recently to try to give a more visual representation of the events in my area.  I am not completely satisfied with how this implementation has to be updated and there are a few other ideas I have that this implementation doesn't make possible, so I'm not declaring it "done," yet.

For those who want to experiment, the site you can use to create/update the map is: http://www.zeemaps.com

You can insert pins individually or you can upload a spreadsheet.

Matt: After posting this, I'll respond to your e-mail with slightly more detail than I gave above.
Fais: I don't know if each region should have its own.  If we were able to figure out a way to have it kept up-to-date better than this implementation, perhaps it would be best to have a national map.  If we did that, however, it would be nice to have a "search" feature (say, "show me all events within 250 miles of my zipcode").  That would allow someone closer to a region's border to see events in multiple areas more easily.

AND NOW A QUESTION (primarily for my Northeast brethren/sistren, but others can chime in, too):

As of right now, all events listed in the northeast region's calendar of events are given a pushpin and will remain on the map until I clean out the calendar to start over for 2017.  Would it be better to remove events from the map after they have occurred so as not to have people investigating things that are no longer possible to attend?  An alternative might be to leave the pin on the map, but change its color to show that it has already occurred.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get up to speed soon:)

In another organization the national calendar of event pins are numbered, in chronological order. As the year goes on you know anything below the current number happened already:) AND, if you see a map with 3 events numbered close together in close distance, some may spend some enough time in the area to hit multiple events - the BMW folk call them rally-rats :-X :D

:beerchug:

S Smith said:
Can this map be automated off the RSS feed like the mini calendar on the cog homepage?

No.  This particular tool cannot support that.  I am not well educated on RSS feeds.  I will have to do some further reading on them to be able to have an intelligent conversation about this idea.

Fais said:
gPink said:
Fais said:

No, I agreed and have kept an eye out for something like this. Now, here we are and WG is all over it :great:

Let me get this straight...you had what you thought was a good idea and you were told to stuff it if you personally couldn't make it happen?.....and you agreed? Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting this.

WG said:
I think you would want to remove the pins, probably more work for someone I know, but it seems things could get convoluted over there on the East Coast. My two cents from over here on the Left Coast.

I like this idea WG, makes finding a ride/event very easy. NICE WORK! :great: Do you have to be a member to see this map? It looks like the OP is a forum subscriber.

I think it's a great idea.

Why not use Google Map? It's really quite easy and the pins marking rides are easily created and deleted. You can add photos and HTML links to ride details.

Each COG chapter could designate an admin to maintain their map. Each COG chapter can create a layer on the map that the user can toggle ON/OFF so that the user can just view their area rides, or view all of them.

The map can be imported into COG website using a simple iFRAME. (Same with Google Calendar)

Want to see an example? I created a map for my local Audubon birding chapter. It's a single layer map, but it was inserted into our local chapter website (that I maintain) with a few lines of code. I maintain the map.
See: http://murieaudubon.org/?page_id=427

This is the power of the Internet, we should use it.  >:D

Harry Martin said:
I think it's a great idea.

Why not use Google Map? It's really quite easy and the pins marking rides are easily created and deleted. You can add photos and HTML links to ride details.

Each COG chapter could designate an admin to maintain their map. Each COG chapter can create a layer on the map that the user can toggle ON/OFF so that the user can just view their area rides, or view all of them.

The map can be imported into COG website using a simple iFRAME. (Same with Google Calendar)

Want to see an example? I created a map for my local Audubon birding chapter. It's a single layer map, but it was inserted into our local chapter website (that I maintain) with a few lines of code. I maintain the map.
See: http://murieaudubon.org/?page_id=427

This is the power of the Internet, we should use it.  >:D

I forgot to mention...IT DOESN"T COST ANYTHING.
You can outline a route and you can add start and destination pins.
The COG webmaster won't have to maintain it as it's outside of COG web pages.

^^^^ Hi Harry - I think it's great. So we could have the country covered and AADs could all access it to add events, etc?

You are way more organized with this stuff than I am. I'm getting better. I suppose someone has to start it and keep up with admin links?

The rest should take care of itself. Remembering to take events off as they happen - or have them change color - or numbered . . .

Fais said:
^^^^ Hi Harry - I think it's great. So we could have the country covered and AADs could all access it to add events, etc?

You are way more organized with this stuff than I am. I'm getting better. I suppose someone has to start it and keep up with admin links?

The rest should take care of itself. Remembering to take events off as they happen - or have them change color - or numbered . . .

Fais,

It's a no-brainer.

attachment.php

S Smith said:

The RSS feed does not deliver some of the information WG would need for his awesome mapping system. It would require some "Naming Conventions" as suggested by Chief.

Just a mention, for those looking to find rides in their area, the 2016 COG Events List allows you to filter the results via State or Region and might be easier to use than the main Memberize Grid Calendar to find events closer to you.

2016 COG Event List
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46796

and since I started - I may as well mention

Next Week: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46775

Next 30 Days: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46835

oh, and from your Mobile device

2016 List: http://assets.concours.org/rss/cog_mobile_current_year.php

WANDRNG - that list is awesome :great: Sorry if I'm the last one to have noticed it. Even my little RTE is on there?! How'd you do that?!

So many events - looks like that would be a LOT of pins (too many maybe) on a map??

Gumby said:
... Do you have to be a member to see this map? It looks like the OP is a forum subscriber.

I do not believe that you have to be a member to see this page.

Fais said:
WANDRNG - that list is awesome :great: Sorry if I'm the last one to have noticed it. Even my little RTE is on there?! How'd you do that?!

So many events - looks like that would be a LOT of pins (too many maybe) on a map??

We were trying to make an automated system using the little data provided outside the closed calendar system. It requires a little "Naming Convention" as suggested by the OP to even get it to the region and state level.

I like WG's pinned calendar!  I would not say "too many" pins.    But yes in many cases there would be multiple pins in the exact same location based on current calendar data which leads to a stacking/viewing/rollover issue that must be handled (like of monthly M&G's that always meet in the same place) - for viewer interaction, sometimes the map is best and sometimes the list is best.

WG said:
Gumby said:
... Do you have to be a member to see this map? It looks like the OP is a forum subscriber.

I do not believe that you have to be a member to see this page.

Yep, your map is accessible by everyone including Forum Only Subscribers and Guests

WANDRNG said:
S Smith said:

The RSS feed does not deliver some of the information WG would need for his awesome mapping system. It would require some "Naming Conventions" as suggested by Chief.

Just a mention, for those looking to find rides in their area, the 2016 COG Events List allows you to filter the results via State or Region and might be easier to use than the main Memberize Grid Calendar to find events closer to you.

2016 COG Event List
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46796

and since I started - I may as well mention

Next Week: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46775

Next 30 Days: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46835

oh, and from your Mobile device

2016 List: http://assets.concours.org/rss/cog_mobile_current_year.php

Are these pages off of the new site that is currently in Beta?

Nope. They are based on the current site infrastructure and are part of the home page update that includes the "mini" event list on the site home page http://www.cog-online.org

They were meant to make it easier to find events  through the current forum and site setup.

That is the new landing page, guess beta testing is complete... much improved! :great:

Maybe a little bit of thread drift here:  For my job I thought it would be nice to take a 2D CAD layout of a big machine and add a layer for each type of repair that was done.  Then the 3D Z-axis would be the time of the event so the oldest events would be on the bottom and the newest would be up high.
Then the graphics tools could show either a conventional view showing the location map or the perspective view would show the times and frequency.

Applied to an event map the map could be "now" and past event pins would show below the map in 3D while future events would be "up in the air" above the map.  Like many others I don't have the skills to apply the concept to existing maps and calendars but convenience of the visual effect might appeal to somebody who could make it happen.

If it were possible to show the routes the same way then the most frequently traveled routes would stand out also as the 3D objects would be denser there.