• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Concours model

2linby

Anyone recieved their June 2012 Cycle world yet?  Kawasaki hints to a new Concours coming out in 2013.  New engine design they say.

2linby said:
Anyone recieved their June 2012 Cycle world yet?  Kawasaki hints to a new Concours coming out in 2013.  New engine design they say.

Didn't they mention it was expected to be 1600 cc with a cruising range of 400 miles.

S Smith said:
2linby said:

Didn't they mention it was expected to be 1600 cc with a cruising range of 400 miles.

There was mention of major improvements in efficiencies, so yes. Something to do with a dual spark plug head design.

Wow, boy some of y'all get them real early. The May issue of CW just came yesterday. I'm already a month behind.    :mad:

I'm hoping they fit it with the new Avon triple compound 15,000 mile radial tires.  :motonoises:

Bergmen said:
Consider the source (and I don't mean Cycle World) and the date on the calendar today.

Dan
How dare you cast dispersions to impugn my stellar, impeccably, stoically, straightforwardly, sincerity through your allusions!  :-\ :-\ :-\

This is an outrage!!  :p

I feel like such a tool...:-[

I guess I should have read the whole thread before I googled "Cycle Concourse New"

Happy April Fools to you too ;D

As much as we would love the C14 to follow a 20 year cycle like the C10 its just not going to happen in today competitive market place.  It would not surprise me at all if the C14 is up for a completely new redesign in another few years. 

Frankly it ticks me off a bit however I guess most consumers expect it now days.  Little do they know how much change cost them.  If the C14 remained as is with little changes and only modest yearly price increases eventually it will be the bargain the C10 became as time went on.  Those days are just gone forever now!

I still look at my C10 and say "Its not the latest and the greatest but its pretty darn good and gets the job done"  All for $7,500.  Even more so as I read reviews on newer sport touring motorcycles and find very basic and simple features they completely lack.  Like duel locking pockets or bags that are actually functional to name a few!

I don't always blame the consumer or the manufactures.  The government with ever tightening regulations have a lot to do with it as well. 

longhaul747 said:
As much as we would love the C14 to follow a 20 year cycle like the C10 its just not going to happen in today competitive market place.  It would not surprise me at all if the C14 is up for a completely new redesign in another few years. 

Frankly it ticks me off a bit however I guess most consumers expect it now days.  Little do they know how much change cost them.  If the C14 remained as is with little changes and only modest yearly price increases eventually it will be the bargain the C10 became as time went on.  Those days are just gone forever now!

I still look at my C10 and say "Its not the latest and the greatest but its pretty darn good and gets the job done"  All for $7,500.  Even more so as I read reviews on newer sport touring motorcycles and find very basic and simple features they completely lack.  Like duel locking pockets or bags that are actually functional to name a few!

I don't always blame the consumer or the manufactures.  The government with ever tightening regulations have a lot to do with it as well. 

I'm not so sure. The original C10 went from 1986-2006. Both the Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJR1300 have been in production for ten years (11 for the FJR since it was introduced in Europe in 2001). These types of motorcycles seem to be relatively stable. Kawasaki could capitalize on the evolved technologies of the ZX14 where Honda and Yamaha have powerplants exclusive to their models.

I think both the Honda and Yamaha models are long in the tooth and ripe for an upgrade. The only thing I would like to see is bigger engines, they can leave the whizzy techno-crap off the bikes as far as I'm concerned (night vision, automatic parallel parking, etc.).

Dan

Bergmen said:
The only thing I would like to see is bigger engines, they can leave the whizzy techno-crap off the bikes as far as I'm concerned (night vision, automatic parallel parking, etc.).

Dan

What about the automatic detection detection techology?  It automatically detects all automatic detection technology and automatically cancells it out with the auto detection detection cancellation app.  This application forces the owner to read the manual for all manual functionalities and develop "real time" experience.  Also why would you want to avoid using the A.S.S. app?  (Absolute Stupid System).?
You know it is the system for those riders who think they can ride, but haven't a freaking clue as to what they are doing?  It comes with the optional chrome plated keyfob.

So you see Technology can fix everything!  Just write an app!  ;)

I'm kind of with Dan. Although I don't even think you need a bigger motor. It gets to the point where the bikes get such poor fuel mileage, that it makes the cost of operating the bikes to be too much. Personally I would like lighter bikes with ample power, reliability, excellent fit and finish and good reliability.
  Like Dan, all this extra BS they're putting on the bikes is unnecessary, adds weight, price, complexity, takes up space and puts reliability more into question. The more excess junk you put on a bike, the more to go wrong. And as the bike ages, it will be scrapped long before the bikes of old would be. Price and access to parts will kill these bikes.
  For me give me a shaft drive bike in the 1200-1500cc range, shaft drive, ABS, cruise control and a movable windshield (it can even be manual to save weight, cost. I could add heated grips or other small things if I desire. All this other junk is unnecessary and takes away the idea I have of a motorcycle. If I want lots of extra stuff, I buy a GoldWing or a car. I don't care for a $15,000-20,000 disposable bike with a very short lifespan because of all this extra BS.  ;)

I've got to agree with the Cap'n about the bikes getting so big and complex that the TCO gets out of hand, and it got me to thinking about what would actually improve the line.  I'd think that a bike with capable luggage, basic controls, a lower price, and a smaller engine would actually work great as a commuter.

Of course, these bikes actually already exist - Suzuki makes them and they're named Burgman.

Cap'n Bob said:
I'm kind of with Dan. Although I don't even think you need a bigger motor. It gets to the point where the bikes get such poor fuel mileage, that it makes the cost of operating the bikes to be too much. Personally I would like lighter bikes with ample power, reliability, excellent fit and finish and good reliability.
  Like Dan, all this extra BS they're putting on the bikes is unnecessary, adds weight, price, complexity, takes up space and puts reliability more into question. The more excess junk you put on a bike, the more to go wrong. And as the bike ages, it will be scrapped long before the bikes of old would be. Price and access to parts will kill these bikes.
  For me give me a shaft drive bike in the 1200-1500cc range, shaft drive, ABS, cruise control and a movable windshield (it can even be manual to save weight, cost. I could add heated grips or other small things if I desire. All this other junk is unnecessary and takes away the idea I have of a motorcycle. If I want lots of extra stuff, I buy a GoldWing or a car. I don't care for a $15,000-20,000 disposable bike with a very short lifespan because of all this extra BS.  ;)

I think you put it better than I did. I have to check myself sometimes since from the first time I rode my first motorcycle to school in the sixth grade the mantra started: "bigger engine, more power...bigger engine, more power..." In all reality you are correct, we have reached a comfortable pinnacle in the engine size and power department for tourers and sport tourers.

What needs to happen across the board is for all of the manufacturers to step back and make sure that their motorcycles are not coming in between the motorcyclist and the experience of motorcycling. All to often it seems like the trend is to develop computerized, motorized two wheeled transportation devices rather than motorcycles.

The essence of motorcycling has it's roots in the utter simplicity of the motorcycle as a basic mode of transportation and sport. Just because you can computerize some function(s) does not mean that you should. To many motorcyclists, the builders would not be at a competitive disadvantage if they chose not to.

What motorcycles desperately need:

1) Adjustable ergonomics. It is ridiculous in this day and age that the simplest of four wheeled vehicles are able to accommodate a wide range in human sizes ans shapes. There isn't a on-size-fits-all motorcyclist. Handlebars, seat and pegs need to be easily user adjustable in positions.

2) Maintenance-free valve trains. The hydraulic lifter come out in american autombile engines in the late 1940's. Sixty years is long enough for motorcycle engines to catch up. There are ways to accomplish this without rpm limiting the engine.

3) Go after as many life-limited components as possible and re-engineer them for unlimited service life. A couple of examples:

a) Use an excited field alternator that is brush-free. Brushes are typically the only thing that needs replacing in an alternator.

b) Consider a brushless D.C. electric motor driven coolant pump with a magnetic coupling between motor armature and pump impeller. No seals to fail. Make the motor variable speed to thermostatically control engine/coolant temperature and eliminate the mechanical bi-metallic thermostat.

c) Learn how to make camshafts that don't spall (pit). Honestly, it really can be done.

Today's engines have benefitted from great advancements in cylinder coatings and valve/seat materials to the point that engines can go several hundred thousand miles before needing an overhaul. This was unheard of just a few years ago. The durability of modern motorcycle engines is legendary and are a model that others should take advantage of (hello - aircraft industry).

That's it for now.

Dan

Bergmen, 

All of your suggestions plus a few more are on the schedule for April 1st next year.  The Company will be monitoring this forum for additional features to be added to the list of improvements. 

Kawasaki needs to offer a factory cruise control option on the Concours. This could be done easy enough. How many sales are lost to BMW because of this. Mark

Sparkie said:
Kawasaki needs to offer a factory cruise control option on the Concours. This could be done easy enough. How many sales are lost to BMW because of this. Mark
Nearly as many as those who ditch the Bavarians due to exploding final drive units and poor finish for such an expensive machine.
The Cruise option would probably only sell in the USA as the rest of us have too high traffic density to be able to use cruise very often.
I have a throttle lock on mine which is fine for the occasional use it gets.
Kawi probably won't bother as there are 2-3 options for aftermarket cruise control out there.

Boomer said:
Sparkie said:
Nearly as many as those who ditch the Bavarians due to exploding final drive units and poor finish for such an expensive machine.
The Cruise option would probably only sell in the USA as the rest of us have too high traffic density to be able to use cruise very often.
I have a throttle lock on mine which is fine for the occasional use it gets.
Kawi probably won't bother as there are 2-3 options for aftermarket cruise control out there.

KHI might do something they may not be doing enough, and offer it as an extra cost option. That keeps the price down a little for those who don't want, and those who do, well, you know they will pay for it.

There was talk in 2009 of putting Night Vision technology on the 1400 GTR. 

June 8, 2009 KAWASAKI'S 1400 GTR is already one of the most technologically-advanced bikes on the planet – with variable valve timing, keyless ignition and tyre pressure sensors as standard – but the firm is preparing a whole new generation of ground breaking technology for the next-generation GTR. Heading up the technological onslaught comes a system that until now has been in the preserve of only the world's most expensive cars; night vision.

Kawasaki has developed its own infra-red night vision technology, giving riders a view beyond the range of the bike's conventional headlights, and is racing to get it ready for use on production bikes with few or no changes to the basic design of the bikes themselves – allowing it to be fitted as an option or even as an aftermarket upgrade. And detailed drawings of the design clearly reveal that the GTR is being used as the guinea pig for Kawasaki's night vision, in line with its role as the firm's technology leader.

The complete story with diagrams is here:
http://www.gizmag.com/kawasaki-set-to-debut-night-vision-helmet-mounted-heads-up-displays-and-collision-avoidance-technology/11900/