• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New feature on 2011 ZX-10R - adjustable power modes!

Fred H.

Looks like Kawasaki is finally starting to listen and letting owners have more of the power that they actually paid for. I don't see much technical info on how it works, but my guess is that they open up the secondary butterflies sooner/further. Sure wish they would give us a Power Mode option on the C14 so we didn't have to go in and remove the butterflies.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-Kawasaki-NinjaZX14.htm

(Note the article appears a little confusing since it is titled as the ZX-14 but has many references to the ZX-10R in it. It starts out talking about the 10R and then later shifts to the ZX-14)

Unlike the KTRC system on Kawasaki’s Concours™ 14 ABS sport tourer, which primarily minimizes wheel slip on slick or broken surfaces as a safety    feature, the S-KTRC system is designed to maximize performance by using complex analysis to predict when traction conditions are about to become unfavorable. By quickly, but subtly reducing power just before the amount of slippage exceeds the optimal traction zone, the system – which processes every data point 200 times per second – maintains the optimum level of tire grip to maximize forward motion. The result is significantly better lap times and enhanced rider confidence –exactly what one needs when piloting a machine of this caliber.

The S-KTRC system offers three different modes of operation, which riders can select according to surface conditions, rider preference and skill level: Level 1 for max-grip track use, Level 2 for intermediate use, and Level 3 for slippery conditions. An LCD graph in the newly designed instrument cluster displays how much electronic intervention is occurring in real time and a thumb switch on the left handlebar pod allows simple, on-the-go mode changes.

The system also incorporates an advanced Power Mode system that allows riders to choose the amount of power – and the character of delivery – available from the engine. Besides the standard full-power mode are Medium and Low settings. In Medium mode, performance varies according to throttle position and engine rpm; at anything less than 50 percent throttle opening, performance is essentially the same as in Low mode; at more than 50 percent, riders can access additional engine performance. All three S-KTRC settings are available in each of the three Power Mode settings.

BBAR said:
It's about time they start to listen about things!  ::)

Now if they could only fix KIPASS and the saddlebag and driveshaft issues.
Bobby.

badinc1 said:
BBAR said:

Bobby.

I didn't mean it to sound like that, but OK. I just think that if they start listening to the customers, they may wind up selling more bikes!  8)

BBAR said:
badinc1 said:
BBAR said:

Bobby.

I didn't mean it to sound like that, but OK. I just think that if they start listening to the customers, they may wind up selling more bikes!  8)

I knew what you mean't Bob, but......... fixing those trouble area's would go a long way.
Bobby.  :D