• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New member thinking hard about a Connie

kiwiaudio

Big Wheel
Hi Guys,
For about a year now i've been thinking about replacing my 1998 BMW R1100Rt and the Connie has risen to the top of my list (I think!). I have to stick with a sport tourer, so in any case thats a short list !
Yes, i want the new BMW 1600GT - who doesn't ?  From what I've deduced from recent editorials though, the 2011 Connie is most of the way there for a lot less money, and in the end - that wins the day for me !

I haven't given up on my old RT yet though and maybe someone here can push me over the edge. I've done a lot to my RT and trust it completely (misguided trust probably - there are a lot of idiosyncratic little things to go wrong on these bikes).
I have modified and changed almost everything on this girl, stripped apart and lovingly reasssembled her, until she has become like an old family member, but she is not in the class of the modern bikes. I'm sure most of you have felt this way about one of your bikes !
I spent a lot of time redoing the stereo until it actually works the way it should, and if i change to a Connie, I will miss it. What do you guys do for tunes ?

In fact i'm going to stop right there. I'd like to know what the jump felt like from whatever you rode before, and if anyone made the jump from an RT, I would love to hear about it.

Kewi
Reading your post made me reminisce. For the last six years or so my mount was a 2002 BMW 1150 R/T. I adored this bike. Unfortunately for me on the way back South I got turned into a hood ornament so no more R/T! It was 10 mo before I could ride again and because he had no insurance we are still tied up in court. Long story made short I purchased a slightly used 2010 Connie with 1575 miles on it just to get me by till my ship ($$$) comes in. I can tell you whether my ship comes in or not I'm keeping this bike! I love BMW's still have my 1974 R60/6 but regardless of the money savings these bikes (Concours 14) simply can not be beat! I can think of nothing that the R/T could do that the Connie can not do as well or better. Also I don't miss my $1400 24K check ups with BMW I have a feeling this bike will be much less.
If you have any specific questions just shoot me an email.

Regards
phillip

"Yes, i want the new BMW 1600GT - who doesn't?"  - Uh, people who don't particularly like BMW and the several house payments required to pay for routine maintenance?

Best way to introduce yourself isn't to claim that we're all BMW wanna-bees who are tightwads. ;)

Other than price, borrow a C14 and see if it will fit the bill for you.  Do so with the 1600GT.  Better to wait and see what you really want instead of "settling" and saying, "...I really wanted a BMW".  Once you've got some time on a C14 you'll see what an impressive bike it really is.

I have only looked at the BMW1600 and own a 2009 C14 ABS. One of the things that may be different about the bikes is the amount of farkles you need to buy to make them fit you. I have a sneaking feeling that the BMW requires less farkles to make it a comfortable ride. The addition of a seat, handle bar risers, muffler, and other such doo-dads for the C14 probably closes the gap a slightly on the difference cost-wise between the Beemer and the Connie. They really seem like two different kinds of rides. The Connie seems more bare-boned aggressive as a sport-tourer where the Beemer seems more refined and maybe a bit porkier? (I have not compared the actual physical specs). Bob

Quote -
Re: New member thinking hard about a Connie
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:00:20 PM »Quote"Yes, i want the new BMW 1600GT - who doesn't?"  - Uh, people who don't particularly like BMW and the several house payments required to pay for routine maintenance?

Best way to introduce yourself isn't to claim that we're all BMW wanna-bees who are tightwads.

End quote .

Money is no issue with me. I payed cash for my C14. I bought it about a month ago and LOVE IT !  As for the BMW VS Kawasaki ? Hype is hype, and a LOT of people buy hype to belong. to fit in. Been there done that.  Here's the bottom line. Who gives a Sh** what you ride. It's what YOU think and how YOU feel when you ride your motorcycle. What YOU need out of a motorcycle when your all alone on the open road.  I chose a Kawasaki because of MANY reasons. I ride with a LOT of BMW owners and they remind me of Harley guys. Always complaining of cost and other problems yet they bost of owning a BMW. There's motorcycle owenrs, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be  .

As for BMW VS Kawasaki ? My Number one reason for choosing a Kawasaki is because Kawasaki LISTENS to it's customers. THEY CARE . They  contacted me and wanted to know if I was happy with my choice. They also had my local dealer contact me and ask me to personally come down and talk with them.  They gave me the option of a six year warranty. The ZX 14 engine is tried and proven, a bullet proof engine that will scream down the road. I can find a dealer in almost every town . For the money, it's an amazing bike . Every time I go to work on it or change a tire , Im so impressed how everything is so thought out for the owner . I like having a color choice and not look like a drone going down the road. For the money, The connie is the best choice hands down. BMW is doing the same thing Harley does. Sell their motorcycles with hype. Be a part of the elite . Your COOL .  It's not for me . I rode a couple of my friends BMW's . there nice, but I just don't see it for the price. The quality of the BMW couldn't sell it's price tag they have on it to be honest.

The connie has it's quirks like any other bike. but once you adjust that, it's the most amazing motorcycle I've ever owned. It feels good to know theres a dealer near by. Your riding a motorcycle thats the fastest sport touring on the road . :) It has beautiful lines and glides down the road at tripple digits with such ease. It's an amazing machine.

Take the time to forget what we say. What the BMW boys say. Search inside of yourself , and understand the reasons why and what do YOU want . Then go get it. We can't choose for you. All I can say is this, I LOVE my Connie and after three thousand miles as a new owner, Im even more in love with it ! I came from the Harley world. I know the draw it has. But I decided to do what I like and I wanted. I DON'T CARE what other's think anymore.  Best of luck with your choice ! Let us know what you choose . OH ! By the way. You can pick up one of these beauties for $14K and have plenty money left for Farkles  :)

When I decided to switch from my ZX14 (admittedly modified deep into competent sport touring) my goal was to own a bike which sport toured better than the ZX14. Which in the case of mine, is not that easy to do.

First I looked at Harley Davidsons, specifically the baggers, and almost purchased one. But better sense prevailed.

Then I looked at BMWs, specifically the K-1600 GTL. Almost purchased one.

I rode both of these bikes, and the K was everything I wanted for a serious sport touring machine.

Until I realized I could get a C14 for $10k less (give or take) and then spend $2k on the C14 and end up with a much better machine for the way I want to ride.

I've ridden the C14 (2011) and love that it is not all that different from my ZX14 in the turns and in braking.

I want to sport tour but I don't want to give up the extremely high level of handling I love in my ZX14.

So in 3 weeks (give or take) my 2012 C14 will arrive, and I'll be in debt again (far less than the two options, above, though), and I'm certain I will absolutely love this new bike.

Given how I want to ride.

Trouble said:
<snip>
There's motorcycle owenrs, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be  .

As for BMW VS Kawasaki ? My Number one reason for choosing a Kawasaki is because Kawasaki LISTENS to it's customers. THEY CARE . They  contacted me and wanted to know if I was happy with my choice. They also had my local dealer contact me and ask me to personally come down and talk with them.
<snip>

Although a decent post. I have to have a slight disagreement on just a couple of points.

The first being "There's motorcycle owners, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be  ."  I've personally always thought of myself as both. I've always owned all motorcycles that I rode (other than a quick ride). And I've pretty much rode every motorcycle that I've ever owned. Some more than others. Although there are a lot of Harley (and other brand) owners that basically only ride their bikes to functions like the bar. A good majority ride them all over as well. Friends of mine ride there Harley's all over the country. So I don't agree with implyed labeling Harley riders as only owners. You will and do get that with every brand of motorcycle including C14 owners.  BMW is no different here. Harley and BMW riders probably do buy more manufacturer brand farkles and services that the majority of other brand owners. But of course that is the choice of the owner. With some of it because of the perceived lifestyle associated with certain brand ownership. But to insinuate that all BMW or Harley owners are a certain way, is to also insinuate that all Kawasaki owners are a certain way. And in all cases here, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Just the C14 owners on this forum have totally different likes/dislikes and preferences to maintenance, ownership and uses for said bikes. So I really do not agree with your assessment.

The second thing is also the exact opposite of you. "My Number one reason for choosing a Kawasaki is because Kawasaki LISTENS to it's customers. THEY CARE."  I couldn't disagree with you more. I had a C14 for three years and can tell you from my experience that IMO, Kawasaki couldn't give a $h!t if I even existed after they got my money for that C14. I never heard from them in anyway that I can recall, ever! I had nothing but (on and off) trouble with my bike and felt that they could care less. When they finally attempted to fix my bike at about three years, it was one of two things. Either they did fix it and wouldn't admit it for reasons that I can only speculate on, or they didn't fix it and only cleaned and lubed the OEM parts that were failing on and off since brand new.
Never once did Kawasaki ever make me feel that they appreciated my business. And this was after buying three brand new Kawasaki's in a few year period that ended with my C14's purchase. The Kawasaki customer service guy, "Mark", is known to forum members as an arrogant "A hole", who treats customers like crap.  I never (ever) received a phone call form Kawasaki asking about anything. And it was a real PITA to have to prove any problems with the bike (through the dealers verification) before Kawasaki would look into anything. Maybe the dealer could have been in my corner a little more (like some other dealers on this forum). But it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
In the end, I decided that  owning a motorcycle that has proven to be unreliable, and can't be trusted to travel on (with a secure feeling), wasn't the solution. With that I traded it in on another brand of motorcycle (which just to point out, has been flawless for the last year and a half and over 10K miles). I don't know if I'll ever buy another Kawasaki ever again or not. Only time will tell. But I still own two other Kawasaki's at this time (one being a Concours). And just two point out. I'm not saying or trying to insinuate that other motorcycle manufacturers don't also have similar practices. Only that I personally haven't had a problem with others. And that's why I do have doubt's about my personally ever trusting or giving my hard earned dollars to Kawasaki for a new bike, ever again. But never say never, Only time will tell.
I am not under the illusion that others have not had similar problems and stories about other manufacturers. Only that my experience as a now former, loyal Kawasaki customer was tarnished after having the exact opposite experience from Kawasaki than you had. Does Kawasaki listen to their customers? In my opinion, not a chance. Well hopefully they listened to my feet walking away to another brand for y'all sake!  I truly am not trying to be bitter by any means. Just telling my story. Because in truth be told. Kawasaki actually did me a favor, Because the bike I replaced my C14 with, is actually more comfortable to me and I do like it better. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.  ;)

Does Kawi listen to customers?  Yes and no?  Certainly they made numerous improvements that would appear to have been from customer feedback.  Then in the flip side, five production years later and one of the main differences between the C14 and BMW, etc. is the lack of cruise control.  This is a "bin part" that should be an option.  What about a proper case guard?  Not on the horizon.  So, do they listen?  In these cases, no.

I asked if there was a factory rep who monitors the boards - apparently not.

Over at the Ural world, the US factory rep not only monitors the boards but personally e-mails members if they have issues. (My Ural was a used purchase and I wanted to know if a factory recall had been applied.  He tracked it down replied within a few hours.)

Meanwhile, another consideration is the dealer itself.  I have had rather good luck with my previous Kawasaki purchases and my new C14 with my local dealer, K&H Kawasaki, Little York, NY.  Bent over backwards to get me my C14 in Neptune blue after they sold their last one a few hours before I could get over there and drop a deposit.  Presently working with me to fix the damage from last week's accident.  Best thing is that everyone in this particular shop owns and rides bikes.  (To include other makes.)  A competing dealer not too far away is more interested in selling you a Jet Ski of some kind and seems to have no idea about the products sitting on their showroom floor.  Service was crappy and used stuff was beyond belief.

I have heard that Kawasaki does have someone that monitor the sites. But you do have to wonder where good intentions to do right by the customers is over ridden by the bottom line. I'm sure that Kawasaki wants to listen to and make their customers happy. But I think they do have to walk the fine line between upgrades and repairs, compared to showing a decent profit. The question is of course where that line may be. I do think they try to listen. But sometimes they just don't or are not allowed to hear what folks are saying.

I have never had anything wrong with a Kawasaki in over 30 years of riding nothing but Kawasaki bikes, that my dealer couldn't fix or get taken care of.

But then, I drop in and talk to my sales people, my finance people, my parts people, and my service people on a regular basis. They know me. When I have a problem, they do what they need to do to get it fixed. Because: a) I've been their customer for a decade or more (I don't go where I can save $500 just to save $500, I'll pay my dealer the extra $500), b) I took the time to ask them about their kids, their vacations, their husbands, girlfriends, and paid attention to them.

Instead of expecting them to make everything all about me.

Privateer said:
I have never had anything wrong with a Kawasaki in over 30 years of riding nothing but Kawasaki bikes, that my dealer couldn't fix or get taken care of.

But then, I drop in and talk to my sales people, my finance people, my parts people, and my service people on a regular basis. They know me. When I have a problem, they do what they need to do to get it fixed. Because: a) I've been their customer for a decade or more (I don't go where I can save $500 just to save $500, I'll pay my dealer the extra $500), b) I took the time to ask them about their kids, their vacations, their husbands, girlfriends, and paid attention to them.

Good point. Me too. Too bad it still didn't work in my C14's case. You can know the dealer employees all you want. But if Kawasaki doesn't authorize tearing a bike apart, it isn't going to happen. Well maybe if you pay $500 over price on everything. I guess after a while, they'll toss you a freebie.

Cap'n Bob said:
Trouble said:
<snip>
There's motorcycle owenrs, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be  .

As for BMW VS Kawasaki ? My Number one reason for choosing a Kawasaki is because Kawasaki LISTENS to it's customers. THEY CARE . They  contacted me and wanted to know if I was happy with my choice. They also had my local dealer contact me and ask me to personally come down and talk with them.
<snip>

The right to opinions are what makes this country and forum great. As with your experience with Kawasaki, I had the same exact experience with Harley. It was a nightmare from jump street. The dealer was horrible . I couldn't keep that pile of sh** together. It cost me almost as much as I payed for it. Does that make Harley unreliable ?  No ! Some people swear by them. I wont ever buy one again PERIOD ! I know to much about the engine and lies Harley feeds their customer base like American made. Almost EVERYTHING on that bike is farmed out over seas. The dam thing is put together in America . Hype !  They sell a lifestyle.  But that's my opinion. I disliked the bike from the start. But I know guys that have wore out two or three and never had a problem.

Everyone gets a limon some time or the other. I've heard my BMW friends come unglued about their bike and the service. In fact, The BMW guys are the ones generally working on their bikes most for some reason.

Weather you or I like it, The Kawasaki ZX 14 engine is bullet Proof tried and proven. The Kawasaki Concours is the best out there.  My greatest problem wasn't so much the motorcycle. It was the dealer and the out right not giving a sh** .  I would be willing to bet you could go buy another Concours and never have a minutes problem . If they were that bad a bike we would hear of it on this forum. But I hear the opposite.

So, with that being said, I think were both wrong on this thread. We've both been bitten . And it shows with out post. The guy that started this thread probably ran . Kawasaki is a Dam good motorcycle. Has been for me and customer service is amazing .

I would love to know what you own now ?

Although a decent post. I have to have a slight disagreement on just a couple of points.

The first being "There's motorcycle owners, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be  ."  I've personally always thought of myself as both. I've always owned all motorcycles that I rode (other than a quick ride). And I've pretty much rode every motorcycle that I've ever owned. Some more than others. Although there are a lot of Harley (and other brand) owners that basically only ride their bikes to functions like the bar. A good majority ride them all over as well. Friends of mine ride there Harley's all over the country. So I don't agree with implyed labeling Harley riders as only owners. You will and do get that with every brand of motorcycle including C14 owners.  BMW is no different here. Harley and BMW riders probably do buy more manufacturer brand farkles and services that the majority of other brand owners. But of course that is the choice of the owner. With some of it because of the perceived lifestyle associated with certain brand ownership. But to insinuate that all BMW or Harley owners are a certain way, is to also insinuate that all Kawasaki owners are a certain way. And in all cases here, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Just the C14 owners on this forum have totally different likes/dislikes and preferences to maintenance, ownership and uses for said bikes. So I really do not agree with your assessment.

The second thing is also the exact opposite of you. "My Number one reason for choosing a Kawasaki is because Kawasaki LISTENS to it's customers. THEY CARE."  I couldn't disagree with you more. I had a C14 for three years and can tell you from my experience that IMO, Kawasaki couldn't give a $h!t if I even existed after they got my money for that C14. I never heard from them in anyway that I can recall, ever! I had nothing but (on and off) trouble with my bike and felt that they could care less. When they finally attempted to fix my bike at about three years, it was one of two things. Either they did fix it and wouldn't admit it for reasons that I can only speculate on, or they didn't fix it and only cleaned and lubed the OEM parts that were failing on and off since brand new.
Never once did Kawasaki ever make me feel that they appreciated my business. And this was after buying three brand new Kawasaki's in a few year period that ended with my C14's purchase. The Kawasaki customer service guy, "Mark", is known to forum members as an arrogant "A hole", who treats customers like crap.  I never (ever) received a phone call form Kawasaki asking about anything. And it was a real PITA to have to prove any problems with the bike (through the dealers verification) before Kawasaki would look into anything. Maybe the dealer could have been in my corner a little more (like some other dealers on this forum). But it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
In the end, I decided that  owning a motorcycle that has proven to be unreliable, and can't be trusted to travel on (with a secure feeling), wasn't the solution. With that I traded it in on another brand of motorcycle (which just to point out, has been flawless for the last year and a half and over 10K miles). I don't know if I'll ever buy another Kawasaki ever again or not. Only time will tell. But I still own two other Kawasaki's at this time (one being a Concours). And just two point out. I'm not saying or trying to insinuate that other motorcycle manufacturers don't also have similar practices. Only that I personally haven't had a problem with others. And that's why I do have doubt's about my personally ever trusting or giving my hard earned dollars to Kawasaki for a new bike, ever again. But never say never, Only time will tell.
I am not under the illusion that others have not had similar problems and stories about other manufacturers. Only that my experience as a now former, loyal Kawasaki customer was tarnished after having the exact opposite experience from Kawasaki than you had. Does Kawasaki listen to their customers? In my opinion, not a chance. Well hopefully they listened to my feet walking away to another brand for y'all sake!  I truly am not trying to be bitter by any means. Just telling my story. Because in truth be told. Kawasaki actually did me a favor, Because the bike I replaced my C14 with, is actually more comfortable to me and I do like it better. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.  ;)

I think I should clarify something here. I never said that the C14 is a bad or troubled motorcycle. For the most part it is a dependable motorcycle for most folks. What I did say was that mine had problems. This statement came because I disagreed with the statements (something to the effect of) how much Kawasaki cares about or listens to their customers. I disagreed and stated the reasons why I do not agree. Again, just my opinion rebutting another opinion, based on my personal experience with Kawasaki and owning a C14 for three years. Nothing more, nothing less.
Of course if someone has a motorcycle that has been very dependable. Well IMO, they probably can't truly comment on how Kawasaki handles repairs or listens to it's customers. Maybe that's why they get these phone calls from Kawasaki. Because their bike has had no problems. There's probably a much better chance of getting the answers you want if you only call folks who have had no problems with their C14! OK, I'm teasing, before anyone gets in an uproar.  ;)
As to the C14 motor. As far as I know. The C14 motor has been a good engine and I have not heard of many engine problems. Mainly more minor things like oil or exhaust header leaks. But not a whole lot of internal troubles. Although there have been some on the forums over the last few years. But for the most part has been a decent motor. But nothing is bullet proof! A good motor yes. Bullet proof, no. 
As far as folks interested in a C14 (or another bike). Like I have said many times. The C14 is a good motorcycle and for the most part, dependable for most of it's owners. No bike is perfect and the C14 is no different. All bikes have their positives and negatives. What fits or works for one rider, doesn't work for the next. Just reading reviews and buying is IMO, a mistake. Because with the new sport tours of today, they're all very good. And each one excels at some things and not so much at others.
Try all the bikes your interested in and see what works for you. I don't put much stock in just listening to us morons on here. Were not the ones who will be riding your bike. You might be surprised that you might like something better. Be it a BMW, Triumph, Honda, etc. But maybe not. But just don't take our word for it. Because frankly, forums dedicated to one certain bike tend to be biased towards that bike. It's the nature of all forums. Most owners will be smitten and not always tell you the full truth about their bike. It's just the way it is on forums. So try out all the bikes your interested in. You may like something much better. But then again maybe not. Either way, you need to make the decisions for what works for you.

Kawasaki Concours 14  ROCKS !  BMW , Yamaha, Honda SUCKS !  Who's Bias ?    :rotflmao: ROTFLMMFAO  :rotflmao:

OH WAIT ! BLACK is the FASTEST !  LMAO 

Trouble said:
Kawasaki Concours 14  ROCKS !  BMW , Yamaha, Honda SUCKS !  Who's Bias ?    :rotflmao: ROTFLMMFAO  :rotflmao:

OH WAIT ! BLACK is the FASTEST !  LMAO

^^^ And KIPASS forever!^^^ :rotflmao:

On a side note, Cap 'n' Bob is right. While I have not had any trouble with my bike, not one single issue, there are some things I wish it did better. She is top heavy, but that's the Connie.
YMMV. Good luck on the search.

Cap'n Bob said:
Privateer said:

Good point. Me too. Too bad it still didn't work in my C14's case. You can know the dealer employees all you want. But if Kawasaki doesn't authorize tearing a bike apart, it isn't going to happen. Well maybe if you pay $500 over price on everything. I guess after a while, they'll toss you a freebie.

Actually, knowing the owner, the finance manager, and everyone else on a first name basis etc. will affect what Kawasaki USA authorizes. I've seen it happen. It all depends on how much your dealer is willing to agitate for you. If all they do is submit a request and then tell you KUSA said no, they aren't doing anything for you.

I think you got a bit trite on the come back about the $500. I didn't say I paid it on everything, I said I was willing to, if it means continuing the relationship with a good dealer.

Quote - I have never had anything wrong with a Kawasaki in over 30 years of riding nothing but Kawasaki bikes, that my dealer couldn't fix or get taken care of.

End Quote

AMEM !!!!!!
Those people don't owe us anything. We bought the Kawasaki. A price was agreed upon. We payed it. End of that transation . NOW ! We still need to treat the dealer with respect and get to know them as well. We didn't buy a life long kiss my Kawasaki butt policy .
Treat a person with respect, and they will return the same. I think a LOT of people get unrealistic expectations with dealers and service departments . If you EVER thing your being mistreated. STOP thinking of yourself for a moment and go ask the service department how they feel about customers ? I have to deal with customers all day every day and Im here to tell you, you have to make a hard effort not to show your true feelings. the WORST job is to deal with customers . 

And WHATS UP WITH THAT KEYPASS ? I would throw that thing away id I could . Is there a way to disingage that thing ?

PS:  Connie ROCKS ! Everything else SUCKS !  LMAO

Trouble said:
And WHATS UP WITH THAT KEYPASS ? I would throw that thing away id I could . Is there a way to disingage that thing ?

Hmmm could that be something a re-flash could take care of? Just make it work off the key like a normal motorcycle?  :beerchug:

Privateer said:
Trouble said:

Hmmm could that be something a re-flash could take care of? Just make it work off the key like a normal motorcycle?  :beerchug:

I don't uite get the "keypass " thing . Whats the point ? You have to hold it down and several times it don't take , so you have to mash it again. Then turn it on . Im not getting it. It's the one thing I would change about the Connie.

The fact is that you will not be by-passing KIPASS. It is too intertwined into the the bike. Either totally trust it, or your C14 owner experince will not be as nice as you would like it. In my case, KIPASS was the major problem with my old C14. When you get tired of being stranded by it, but it will never fail for the dealer. So Kawsaki will not authorize the cost of ripping the bike apart. Then you lose faith in the bike.
The fact is that I have had many bikes over a lot of years with a normal key system. In all those years, I never had a key switch problem ever. I had a C14 about two months before the first stranding becuase of KIPASS. And it basiclly was nothing but trouble ever since. I went back to a normal key system. And my trouble free normal key string picked up where it left off. Many bikes over the years with a normal key without a problem ever. One C14 that uses KIPASS that caused many problems to the point that the bike is history! I take a normal key thank you!  ;)

And KIPASS still causes me lots of headaches to this day. And I haven't owned a C14 in a year and a half!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
The fact is that you will not be by-passing KIPASS. It is too intertwined into the the bike. Either totally trust it, or your C14 owner experince will not be as nice as you would like it. In my case, KIPASS was the major problem with my old C14. When you get tired of being stranded by it, but it will never fail for the dealer. So Kawsaki will not authorize the cost of ripping the bike apart. Then you lose faith in the bike.
The fact is that I have had many bikes over a lot of years with a normal key system. In all those years, I never had a key switch problem ever. I had a C14 about two months before the first stranding becuase of KIPASS. And it basiclly was nothing but trouble ever since. I went back to a normal key system. And my trouble free normal key string picked up where it left off. Many bikes over the years with a normal key without a problem ever. One C14 that uses KIPASS that caused many problems to the point that the bike is history! I take a normal key thank you!  ;)

And KIPASS still causes me lots of headaches to this day. And I haven't owned a C14 in a year and a half!  :))

Well , I hate to bust into the negitive aspects of things but I've had problems with my key pass also. Here's what happens. I mash the button like they tell me to but nothing. then I let up and mash it again and TADA it comes on. Sometimes when I mash it it don't come on at all. I have to do it till I can get it to come on. Im wondering if its not having a hard time reading the key fob or something ?
if it's a sign of a low key fob battery ? I don't know. But I find it hard to believe that a dealer wouldn't address your keypass issue. That don't sound right. Especially if you had it happen more than once and was stranded. They get bullitens on motorcycles. they already know whats problematic with one phone call to Kawasaki Tec. After hearing your story , it sounds like you had a bad dealer experience or you just didn't like the bike. The man who started this thread enquired about a C14. Sounds to me like your going to get your payback with him. lol . LET IT GO ! JUST LET IT GO ! IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT ! IT WASN'T YOU !  :beerchug:

WOW, "BMW wannabes who are tightwads" !!  Hmmmmmmmmmm  ???

As the op, I've thought about whether or not to waste my time responding at all, but I can't let it go.

My comment about the K1600GT was meant to infer that i might as well dream of getting an Aston Martin while i'm at it - but that was missed I guess !
Did the guy understand that i own an almost 14 year old bike worth $4000 tops !!!
Hardly a nose-in-the-air BMW owner, and having met a lot of them, i don't know where that crazy generalization comes from anyway!

I did not mean to stir up a BMW vs Kawasaki debate, but i sense you guys are sensitive to that after the latest round of assinine GT vs Connie comparos. I believe comparisons to be worthwhile in general, as long as both bikes are aiming for the same market and price point. This comparo should never have happened as the financial aspect puts them in different classes, and before you jump all over me again, i'm not saying the BMW is in a better class, just a more expensive one.

I buy Toyotas, not Audis - you know  :truce:

Kiwi said:
WOW, "BMW wannabes who are tightwads" !!  Hmmmmmmmmmm  ???

As the op, I've thought about whether or not to waste my time responding at all, but I can't let it go.

My comment about the K1600GT was meant to infer that i might as well dream of getting an Aston Martin while i'm at it - but that was missed I guess !
Did the guy understand that i own an almost 14 year old bike worth $4000 tops !!!
Hardly a nose-in-the-air BMW owner, and having met a lot of them, i don't know where that crazy generalization comes from anyway!

I did not mean to stir up a BMW vs Kawasaki debate, but i sense you guys are sensitive to that after the latest round of assinine GT vs Connie comparos. I believe comparisons to be worthwhile in general, as long as both bikes are aiming for the same market and price point. This comparo should never have happened as the financial aspect puts them in different classes, and before you jump all over me again, i'm not saying the BMW is in a better class, just a more expensive one.

I buy Toyotas, not Audis - you know  :truce:
[/quote

You always know your on top when other motorcycle companies compare the kawasaki Concours 14 to their brand. Most amazing package ever put together. A THREAT to all ! Well done kawasaki

Well, I did not come from a r1100rt but a k1200rs.  I made the switch last year mid season to a 09 c14. 
What I like.  Lots of power, modern dash, handles better, looks, shifts great, lower regular maint.
What I dont like.  Couple of little rattles that I need to track down, more vibration in bars than I would like.  In all fairness not enough to make hands go numb or anything, put bike in 6th gear up to 80 mph and there's nothing.  My old k12 had no vibs at all, smoothest bike ever except to a gl1800. 

krsron said:
Well, I did not come from a r1100rt but a k1200rs.  I made the switch last year mid season to a 09 c14. 
What I like.  Lots of power, modern dash, handles better, looks, shifts great, lower regular maint.
What I dont like.  Couple of little rattles that I need to track down, more vibration in bars than I would like.  In all fairness not enough to make hands go numb or anything, put bike in 6th gear up to 80 mph and there's nothing.  My old k12 had no vibs at all, smoothest bike ever except to a gl1800.

I would say that's a fair assessment of the C14. But the one thing I don't agree with you on is the dash. Although it is a newer designed dash. I personally think the dash design is one of the lower points of the C14. It isn't the best laid out. The speedo and tach are good. Although I don't really care for the red back lighting. It's display design isn't well thought out. It isn't user friendly. The warning system actually (IMO) inhibits, more than it helps.
  This because (IMO) you do not need a warning to totally take over your whole dash display. To make it worse, resetting any warnings is difficult in the best conditions. Kawasaki instructs you to pull over to do this (which really isn't a bad idea). It's hard to do with winter gloves (in day light). And pretty much impossible to do when wearing winter gloves in the dark. This all being most prevalent with the TPS sensors not working in the cold and having low fuel is also a PITA. But moving the scroll button to the handle bar on the 2010+ was a step in the right direction.
I also think they could have laid out the display better. They could have conveyed much more and better information on the screen, using less scroll screens. Fred Harmon posted a (what could have been) version a while back. It was IMO, a much better lay out that conveyed more information per screen. Although all of this is not so much a problem as just inconvenient at times. Better screens could mean less scrolling looking for the information your interested in at the moment. (I would tend to leave mine on tire pressures as my main page).
Then there is the part which really did disappoint me (about the same as the warning set up). The sun induced dash melting if you park the C14 in the sun (through the windshield). Although I haven't given it much thought lately. (because there have been less folks bringing up the subject) Maybe the newer shield Kawasaki put on the Gen II C14 is more resistant to dash melting.
So anyway, I find that the C14 dash is functional. But IMO, it's not the best dash out there either. So although I find the dash to be OK, looking. I truly don't find it to be so modern. And I definitely think Kawasaki definitely could have designed it much better. That's why I think the dash is one of the low points of the C14. Definitely not a deal breaker. But something that IMO, needed to be redesigned more than the fairing did. Just my opinion.

Thanks Cap'n Bob, your constructive comments are informative and I for one hunt down your posts. As a moderator and COG member that does not ride a Connie anymore, you offer a unique perspective on the issues with bike and dealer that prompted your decision to move on. One has to wonder if your experience would have been different had the dealer realized the weight you carry here !  :beerchug:
Your comments on the dash melting are not restricted to this m/cycle though, i've heard this sun-through-the-sheild phenomenom a lot. I must admit that when i park, i give this no thought, so one day it will get me !

I'm guessing your observations pertain to the 2010 C14. Would you mind elaborating on your comments about the "new" sheild on what you call the "Gen II" please. I thought the C14 was essentially unchanged from 2010 to current, so is this the time span of the Gen II ?  Is the dash display color, operation and layout unchanged also through 2012 ?

After the addition of electronic cruise control, which in my opinion is a glaring omission on a touring bike of any kind in this marvelous electronic age, the sheild is one of the first things i would change anyway (California Scientific is my favorite), so I'm really more interested on what else changed from 2010 to 2012, if anything !

Although I don't own the bike anymore. I do prefer to think my observations (most of the time) are based on my owning a C14. Yes I do not own one anymore. But the truth be told, had I not had the one main problem that plagued my C14. I would probably still own it, because I did like my bike. I would like to think that pretty much everything I do say on the bike, would be pretty much the same. Well, I might be slightly easier on one subject had it not given me so much trouble. But even with that system. I did question it before I had any trouble. (Maybe that's why I had trouble!)  :))
Anyway, My comments on the dash are/were not meant to sound like the dash on the C14 is a POS. That is/was not my intention. But I did/still found those observations that could truly improve an already very good motorcycle. It's the small changes to improve a product, that normally makes the biggest differences.
As far as the "new Shield" goes. Kawasaki did listen to some of the observations from some of the C14 owners of the first generation C14 (08-09). Some of the observations that Kawasaki decided to change on the Gen II C14's (2010+) were the fairing's heat disbursing, by redesign. Another was mounting the rear view mirrors slightly higher to give a better view to the rear. The "new Shield" really came from complaints that the 08-09 shield was basically useless. It was great for full down air flow. But in full up, it basically did little of nothing to block the wind. The 08-09 Kawasaki accessory catalog offered a taller windshield that could replace the smaller OEM shield on the 08-09 C14.
Well with the 2010 redesign of the C14. One of the additional changes was that Kawasaki made the 08-09 accessory taller wind shield, standard on the 2010+ C14. Other changes were the addition of traction control and making the ABS brakes linked, rather than the previous unlinked version on the 08-09 C14ABS. Then for 2011, linked ABS became standard on all C14's. Now I'm not saying that any or all of these changes were improvements. There are people who feel that some of the changes were an improvement, and some who didn't. I guess it is a matter of opinion.
So anyway back to the shield. I wasn't insinuating that Kawasaki is the only motorcycle that has sun/windshield magnification problems. Only that we did have quite a few folks mention some degree of meltage on their C14's. Mine did have some, but not really bad. Although I did try to keep mine out of direct sunlight. The magnification of sun through the windshield did (and probably still) tend to possibly melt the dash (mainly between the gauges near the mode select buttons. But it was not exclusive to the area. My point is that I do wonder if different shields (like the taller OEM shield) might have played a part in folks mentioning these problems less. But it very well could be a slight problem with every shield. Maybe folks just do not mention it as much now?
Mine for example, only had the OEM shield for a very short time. I had one of the very first C14 CalSci windshields. (well actually I tried 3 CalSci's). So I noticed my dash having a slight melting blemish, quite a while after I had been running shields other than the 08 OEM shield. I truly think that direct sun on all the windshields could magnify the sun into a laser on the dash. So care should probably be taken to avoid parking in direct sunlight.
  A lot of folks place something like a towel over the dash, when parked. A light color doesn't attract the heat of the magnified sun as much. Plus it also offers a protective buffer zone. I tried to do  this when mine was out in the sun. My helmet use to sit right over  my techmount/zumo, between the bars (up against the shield/dash). It kind of blocked the sun from hitting my dash, because the silver helmet was in the way. I also would place my gloves/ jacket or other stuff over the windshield or dash to help block the sun.
I also employ these techniques on my other bikes to help protect them against some of the same possible damage. Because like you pointed out, it can happen to any bike with similar conditions. Hopefully I covered most of it. If not just ask. Someone will help!  ;)

Buy a Concours 14 and take the extra money you saved and buy a nice classic bike like an old Z1 for bike nights and to keep it company in the garage. Or buy your wife something really nice. The Connie will save you about $8k. Sorry but I just do not see $8k in differences. You might actually be able to buy two 2010s for the price of the BMW. When you travel on it you could stay at 5 star hotels, eat at the best restaurants and never spend the $8k. JMO..Tim

There's motorcycle owenrs, and motorcycle riders. choose which you want to be 

This is so true. When I ask my buddies (mostly Harley owners) to commit to a long ride, they never commit. All talk and no ride. When it's all said and done, they're bummed that they didn't go, but they complain that they can't ride more than 100 miles before they have to stop. Some will commit and a few can out ride me all day long, but the majority are in it for the lifestyle and have no intention of actually riding their bikes.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I just had to comment on this quote.

Cheers and Merry Christmas guys.
--Corey

I'm usually ready to stop and take a break by 100 miles. Unless I'm slabbing on the highway. Then it's normally every 200 miles (a tank full). A comfortable day for me can be anywhere from 50 - 200+ depending on situations. I don't need to ride 500 miles to enjoy my bike.  :p

Cap'n Bob said:
I'm usually ready to stop and take a break by 100 miles. Unless I'm slabbing on the highway. Then it's normally every 200 miles (a tank full). A comfortable day for me can be anywhere from 50 - 200+ depending on situations. I don't need to ride 500 miles to enjoy my bike.  :p

+1

Kiwi, yes, "the guy" can see you have a 98 BMW from your signature.

My point was that your first post has you generally wishing for a BMW on a Kawasaki site but you'll go with a Kawasaki because the price is lower?

This would be akin to going on a Mustang GT site and saying, "I've been a Chevy guy for years and I'd really like a Camaro SS - who wouldn't? - but a Mustang is cheaper" and then not expecting someone to raise an eyebrow.

Beyond that, I didn't comment on BMW stereotypes.  Most of the BMW guys I've met in my area tend to be a bit more laid back and do a lot of their own wrenching because there's no BMW dealers anywhere in the area.  (Next door neighbor and a high school friend for two examples.) 

In the end, if you go the C14 route, I think you'll be pleased.  (I've ridden a few bikes and put a few miles on over the years.)