• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Scoot for the CP Stable

colinp386

Picked me up this steed yesterday, with much appreciated help from my buddy DZ.
Its an 06 and street legal! Yay  :motonoises:

It’s been ridden pretty hard and the PO (Who did not ride it hard) appears to be a hack at wrenching, and not well skilled mechanically. It was however cheap, @ $2,200  :great:

He sold it advertising on CL it as follows:

This is a 2006 KTM 450 R. It needs a motor rebuild. Should have the clutch rebuilt also. The suspension should be looked at as well. Needs a new battery. I bought it from a Boeing engineer who used it in local club races. It has a high output trailtech stator- for a hugh front light. It has a trailtech computer. It is now street legal: with turn signals, horn, brake light, mirrors, and DOT tires. The clutch is a slipper Recluse clutch. It has new brakes, new front rim, wider foot pegs, larger gas tank plus oringinal, new chain and sprokets, tires are 70%. This is a rare 450 EXC. I am selling it as is.

Hence:
His spelling is worse than mine (hard to believe I know), and he has no idea how to maximize the price!
Selling it without putting an new battery on so you can show it working is pretty erh “silly”. Oh Well his loss.
It had been sitting in his garage for 2 years un-used as he was pissed off with it, as it was overheating, the clutch was not working and the front wheel bearings still seemed loose after replacing them, he blamed it on being sold the wrong bearings.

I put her up on the bike–lift and within a couple of hours had:
Bought a new battery, fired her up (after taking a while to figure out the light switch turned the power one)
On a quick ride, the clutch was pretty horrid, and there was excessive backfiring on overrun.
She sounds pretty tight, perhaps a little valve rattle so the tappets need adj.
I pulled the front wheel, and found the bearings are fine but the spindle and collars are worn hence the excessive wheel play.
Looks like the bearings spun (sign of bad maintenance)
Likely the clutch just needs to be properly bled, did that and will try again today to see if that’s cured it.
The radiator was not topped off correctly, and I wonder if the cooling system was properly bled. The PO bought a top-end rebuild kit and was thinking that was going to be the cure. Can’t see that myself.  I noticed the air filter was not oiled, so it’s possible/likely the backfire and overheat are due to it running to lean, I’ll want to check the jetting and clean the carb.

Quite a bit more to do, like change all the fluids etc. But so far I’m pretty happy it was a good deal.  :D

Attachments

• 450 EXC As Bought.jpg
    450 EXC As Bought.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 122
Looks like it will be a fun ride.  The last off roading bike I had was a Yamaha XT550 and it was cool to go out for a ride and just see a trail and take it to who knows where. That one came street legal from the factory.

When I was shopping for a bike I was always entertained by how many bikes have been owned by Boeing engineers. There are either a lot more engineers than I thought or one that has a really large stable.

:)

Colin,

That looks like a good deal on a great bike.  I had a KTM 2 stroke that I loved (sold it to buy the Connie).  If it's been ridden pretty hard, you may want to check the oil pump drive gear.  The gear is plastic, and I have a friend who lost all his oil pressure on his 540 when the gear lost its teeth. 

Have fun with it!  :great:

Well a good strip-down and clean of the carb cured the backfire on over-run and makes it run much crisper.

The Idle-Jet was partially clogged, making it lean.
That may cure the over-heat too, but I also fitted an overflow bottle.

I think the PO's concerns on the clutch may be he just is not use to how a Rekluse Clutch works.
They are significantly different.

Looking forward to taking it to the hills perhaps this weekend and wringing it out a little  >:D

I have the trailer hitched up and the scoot is ready for its first off road trip tomorrow to Pine Loch which is 10 miles from Cle Elum.
Will take a trip up to Hex or Sassy Mountain and see how she runs.

Now the carb is serviced, air filter oiled, cooling system purged of air, and the correct amount of oil in the sump she runs very sweetly! The Rekluse clutch will be an experience, and will take a few miles to get used to, I'm very excited to take her out an blow away a few cob-webs!

Wish me luck, pictures later this weekend.

I never heard of a Rekluse clutch, why is it so different? Oh, here's wishing you luck, hopefully of the good variety... ;)

So took the bike out and gave it, and the friend I went with a pretty gentle thrashing!
To be honest the bike fared way, way better than my riding buddy, who arrived back so  whipped from the morning ride he refused to go out in the Pm LoL  :rotflmao:

The bike ran just great, no overheating, or major issues.
The tires need replacing, most likely with trials tires.
There is a pretty bad leak on the Countershaft (that the sprocket mounts on) but this is a known problem and easy to fix with a better Dome Washer.

The Rekluse clutch is a real trip! It makes it very easy to ride and hard to stall the engine on the downhill if you lock the rear wheel, or if you bog the engine going up-hill. Clutch-less gear changes are a breeze, LOVE IT.

The suspension seems way better setup for me than my mates 450 that I was riding, I think he had the pre-load set much higher as he is quite a bit heavier than me. Also I think I have my rebound set higher so less bucking.

Bottom line I got a steal!  :D

CP