• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New to the group

louiepettis2577

Hello from Alabama. I have recently purchased a mint 1999 c10 35,000 miles from the original owner. I owned a c10 bought new back in 2002 if memory serves me correctly. I have several bikes have been enjoying motorcycles for around 52 years of riding. I am retired from work but have a small shop at home with several customers we work on bikes 4 wheeler side by sides and autos . I am looking forward to learning from the folks here as workings on these Connie’s is not something we have ever had to come in here.

Attachments

• IMG_2964.jpeg
    IMG_2964.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 31
Hello from Alabama. I have recently purchased a mint 1999 c10 35,000 miles from the original owner. I owned a c10 bought new back in 2002 if memory serves me correctly. I have several bikes have been enjoying motorcycles for around 52 years of riding. I am retired from work but have a small shop at home with several customers we work on bikes 4 wheeler side by sides and autos . I am looking forward to learning from the folks here as workings on these Connie’s is not something we have ever had to come in here.
Welcome to COG, nice to see you have come back to a Connie after a few years.

Regarding wrenching on these machines, no biggie at all - get the FSM, take your time and get to know your machine part by part.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Welcome! I'm another new member of the group and new Connie owner within the past month. Yours looks nice!

New gauge cluster? It's funny what new parts come with old bikes. Mine came with a box of spare parts, most of which made sense and will be put to use (plug wires and caps, gaskets, etc), but it also came with some odd things, like new valvecover bolts, new tappet screws and locknuts and other hardware that doesn't wear out. Maybe he had a bad experience over-torquing and breaking them once and figured he would again?

Welcome. There is wealth of knowledge here for the C10. Been a life saver for me
Best Regards
Bob

Seth, those aren't spare parts, they're the ones the PO couldn't figure out where they go. Maybe you can.
Haha, no, I'm talking all about ones brand new in packages! There was some nice stuff that I will use too, so I won't complain.

No bike is really at home unless you've got at least one (ideally several) boxes of spare parts, most of which you probably won't need, but you don't know which ones.

Haha, no, I'm talking all about ones brand new in packages! There was some nice stuff that I will use too, so I won't complain.

No bike is really at home unless you've got at least one (ideally several) boxes of spare parts, most of which you probably won't need, but you don't know which ones.
Very true we never have enough spare parts. The only thing that concerns me a little is the Kawasaki whine seems louder than normal picks up from normal at 2k and goes back to normal at 3 k under load. Not very much louder when not under load than normal cam chain whine . Goes back to normal when you decrease throttle under load . My gut tells me air whistle but not finding any leaks . And it could be that I am not used to the whine haven’t had a Connie for several years

Welcome Louie. I’m your AD and I’m over northeast of Atlanta in Gainesville GA. C-10’s are fun. Hope to see you somewhere along the way. Keep an eye on the SE events calendar for things to come. It’ll be a little slow this winter unless you want to go to Florida but we’ll have a RTE in February in NE GA.

Ron

Welcome Louie. I’m your AD and I’m over northeast of Atlanta in Gainesville GA. C-10’s are fun. Hope to see you somewhere along the way. Keep an eye on the SE events calendar for things to come. It’ll be a little slow this winter unless you want to go to Florida but we’ll have a RTE in February in NE GA.

Ron
Sounds great will have to get to the ga one . The whine appears to be coming from the engine area hear it most from the gap between the windshield and gas tank whine I lean back on the seat it gets softer in sound

I suspect that it's just normal Connie noise.
A C-10 has a particular whine in that area.
Partially from the engine and partially from road noise.

Ride safe, Ted

I suspect that it's just normal Connie noise.
A C-10 has a particular whine in that area.
Partially from the engine and partially from road noise.

Ride safe, Ted

Does it sound like “When are we going for another ride?…..”🤣

Does it sound like “When are we going for another ride?…..”🤣
It does sound like we are going for another ride. It may very well be normal for the bike not going to worry about it. The PO was very good with maintaining the bike . All the maintenance pages in the FSM had marks and dirty fingers on the pages. He used good synthetic oils and factory filters. He had a station near him with non ethanol fuel and that’s all he run unless ha was traveling so the fuel tank looks shiny inside. It also come with a new manual fuel cut off debating whether to use it or not.

It does sound like we are going for another ride. It may very well be normal for the bike not going to worry about it. The PO was very good with maintaining the bike . All the maintenance pages in the FSM had marks and dirty fingers on the pages. He used good synthetic oils and factory filters. He had a station near him with non ethanol fuel and that’s all he run unless ha was traveling so the fuel tank looks shiny inside. It also come with a new manual fuel cut off debating whether to use it or not.
No harm in using the manual fuel cutoff. As you have likely read, or already know, hydrolock is a concern and PO was protecting his machine.

It is not common you find someone who loves their machine as much as what you have found / congrats and carry on the same care for this machine and it will provide you with years of service.

The Connie’s (C-10 or C-14) are workhorses that with basic maintenance and will run down other machine for years to come.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

No harm in using the manual fuel cutoff. As you have likely read, or already know, hydrolock is a concern and PO was protecting his machine.

It is not common you find someone who loves their machine as much as what you have found / congrats and carry on the same care for this machine and it will provide you with years of service.

The Connie’s (C-10 or C-14) are workhorses that with basic maintenance and will run down other machine for years to come.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I probably will install the manual cut off for safety sake. I really like the bike have been riding a gold wing trike and a can-am Spyder and a Harley xl1200 c . Was ready to go back to a better handling bike. I have owned a Connie years ago and a voyager 12 and ninja600 . Really didn’t remember how smooth the ride is on the Connie going across railroad tracks you just don’t get jarred near as much as the wing with a solid axle ride is as good as the Spyder nice on this old body.

Welcome ala-BAMA! from WA. Had a real nice ride down there way back, took back roads from Memphis, through Corinth MS, into Muscle Shoals (with Skynyrd on the GoldWing sound system up to 11), and spent the night in Florence across the street from the UNA campus. Go Lions! Enjoy the ride.

Welcome ala-BAMA! from WA. Had a real nice ride down there way back, took back roads from Memphis, through Corinth MS, into Muscle Shoals (with Skynyrd on the GoldWing sound system up to 11), and spent the night in Florence across the street from the UNA campus. Go Lions! Enjoy the ride.
Glad you enjoyed the ride we have some great roads to ride on lots of curves on the back roads. If you’re ever back in Bama give me a shout.

Do your carbs have overflow tubes installed?

Mine doesn't have either protections, but I am planning to install tubes here shortly when I pull the carbs to rebuild this winter. I also recently bought Murphs manual petcock conversion, but am on the fence as whether I'll use it at the moment. In any case, overflow tubes seem the the most foolproof protection.

The tubes are the only foolproof protection for hydrolock.

Something to consider.
1 issue with manual cut off's is you MUST remember to turn the fuel off "every" time you get off the bike.

Ride safe, Ted

The tubes are the only foolproof protection for hydrolock.

Something to consider.
1 issue with manual cut off's is you MUST remember to turn the fuel off "every" time you get off the bike.

Ride safe, Ted

I am in a pretty good habit about turning off the petcock on my 600. Not so good about remembering to turn it back on, though. I've learned you make it about a mile with the fuel in the bowls before it starts sputtering, haha.

The petcock on the 600 is kind of odd, as it's a vacuum petcock, but has Off, On, and Reserve. No prime setting, so you have to use a manual vacuum pump to prime it (the line loops back under the seat with a joint there, and that's how the FSM tells you to do it). I guess it's the best of manual and vacuum, but I did have it hydrolock once a whole back. No damage, and I can't remember if I had left it on or not.

The petcock on the 600 is kind of odd, as it's a vacuum petcock, but has Off, On, and Reserve. No prime setting, so you have to use a manual vacuum pump to prime it (the line loops back under the seat with a joint there, and that's how the FSM tells you to do it). I guess it's the best of manual and vacuum, but I did have it hydrolock once a whole back. No damage, and I can't remember if I had left it on or not.
Check the 600 petcock and see if it would fit the Connie. We're always looking for an alternative.

You may not have to use the vacuum to prime it.
ie; Reserve may bypass the vacuum (??).

PS: What 600 do you have?

Last edited: