• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New to us CTX700D DCT ABS

Sininja

Quick review:  Bought for the wife.  Checks all the right boxes for short or new riders.  Low, light, easy to ride.  It handles really really nice.  The DCT is great and getting better (it has some kind of learning mode in the CPU that adjusts to your driving style over time).  I'd definitely consider a new wing with one!  It's pretty loaded with heated grips, hard saddle bags, abs, and center stand.  The tall Givi shield will be going as it buffets my wife's helmet pretty good.  It's comfy, but my 6'1" legs get sore after a while keeping them together since your feet go out front.  We racked up 200miles on it yesterday already and it must be getting over 50mpg, maybe even 60mpg? There is one negative though....  The motor.  I know they purposely gave it a firing order to resemble a vtwin but I wish it was smoother.  Could be I'm just spoiled from my mountain runner flashed connie lol.  Same reason I'm probably extremely underwhelmed with the power.  It is slooooooooooooow.  I saw dyno charts showing around 42whp and I believe it  :D It has plenty to do anything a normal motorcycle needs, including cruising at 75mph with a 300lb man on it though. 

I have the fairing model in  6 speed. It's comfortable and has great gas mileage but lacks power. I've had mine for 4 years and I'm still looking for something as comfortable but with more power.

Enjoy!

I like the look of the CTX and it has Honda reliability. You hit the rev limiter pretty quick with that motor. Not sure why Honda deliberately lowered horse power with the 700 series. The low and mid range torque is responsive but they didn't need to neuter the engine for fuel efficiency. Honda used a great 700 CC v twin in the NT700v. Produced 75 horsepower and still got 65 MPG. Doesn't have the 270* layout so center of gravity is not as low with the bike as the 700 series. BNT700v wasn't popular in the US because of its sticker price.

kathybrj said:
I have the fairing model in  6 speed. It's comfortable and has great gas mileage but lacks power. I've had mine for 4 years and I'm still looking for something as comfortable but with more power.

Enjoy!

Try the ST1300.
I'm very happy with mine.
Some consider it "boring", but it's not. It just does so many things so well without complaint.

Have now ridden my CTX for about 900 miles since April.  As I have the manual I find myself often bumping the rev limiter if I really want to get on it, the tach on if is sort of small.  I am really enjoying my downsized ride-except for sharp bumps as you can't get on your feet.  65 plus mpg.