• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New toy. 2018 V-Strom 650XT.

ADVTRACKER

New toy.  Time to farkle it up and get ready for a five week Mexico trip.  Getting out of the Pacific NW in January will probably not be much fun.
Sold the 800 Tiger, wasn't too crazy about it.  "Wee" Strom is 42 pounds lighter and spoked tubeless.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 120
Hello WingCon, I have a 2012 C14 & have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Concours & getting a new Tiger 800 XCa (getting old, want something smaller & lighter). Just wondering what you didn't like about your tiger...
Thanks much
Mark in CT

Nighthawk said:
Hello WingCon, I have a 2012 C14 & have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Concours & getting a new Tiger 800 XCa (getting old, want something smaller & lighter). Just wondering what you didn't like about your tiger...
Thanks much
Mark in CT

Hi Mark,
Tiger Pros:
-  Nice power
-  Cruise control
-  Multiple riding modes including a full off enduro pro mode

Tiger Cons:
-  Tube type spoke wheels.  Spokes good, tubes IMHO, very not good
-  Heavy and also top heavy

My new V-Strom 650XT is:
-  $5500 cheaper
-  42 pounds lighter
-  Spoked tubeless wheels.  Putting aside the nightmare of trying to remove a heavy ADV tire on the side of the road, tubeless also means tons less weight and space for tire tire irons, tubes, baby powder, soapy water, etc, etc.
-  Nice handling regarding not top heavy and nice seat.
-  I do lots of overseas and some off road stuff.  The Tiger is better for technical stuff, but the Strom is just fine for ordinary dirt and gravel roads.
-  Suzuki has a great US and overseas dealer network, Triumph not so much. 
- Strom has 70HP vs 94HP on the Tiger, but it pulls really nicely.
-  No Canbus on the Strom, I like to keep my electronics simple.
-  Strom nice and low exhaust re: strapping on soft Panniers.
Strom cons are an inferior front fork setup, but unless you're doing serious technical stuff, IMO that's not an issue.

Strom front wheel 19", Tiger 21".  21" better for technical off road (not for simple dirt gravel roads), but IMO 19" front better for asphalt contact patch for the twisties. 

Nice bike wingcon! I see many more Stroms than Concours around Cleveland OH. Keep us posted on your farkle adventure.

Enjoy it! I swapped my 2005 C10 for a leftover 2015 DL 650XT. I'm loving it. I do, however, miss the weather protection of the Connie...  On the other hand, I don't miss the extra 200 pounds the Connie carried!

Yup, it made it all the way to Tuktoyaktuk and return.  Most challenging off-road I've ever done, including South America.

Attachments

• Whole trip Canada.jpeg
    Whole trip Canada.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 100
WingCon said:
Yup, it made it all the way to Tuktoyaktuk and return.  Most challenging off-road I've ever done, including South America.

Very nice WC  :great: Hope the Tiger never let you down