• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

new toy? should I do it?

MAN OF BLUES

well... I never look a gift horse... so, I'll be doing this one shortly... gonna be fun... really fun... I think...
what say ya'll?

ARGGGG  picture dissapeared...

I'm pretty psyched about it... never owned a Honda... and for free... well... no brainer for the man with no brain...

woooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :))

Attachments

• HONDA VF500F 00202_gco0FKzeEgS_600x450.jpg
    HONDA VF500F 00202_gco0FKzeEgS_600x450.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 192
MAN OF BLUES said:
well... I never look a gift horse... so, I'll be doing this one shortly... gonna be fun... really fun... I think...
what say ya'll?

index.php

I'm pretty psyched about it... never owned a Honda... and for free... well... no brainer for the man with no brain...

Really??? That's pretty vag, if you're going to post like this and leave us in suspense I hope Murph leaves you in suspense with his project  :nananana:  :rotflmao: :))

I saw over on the other forum that someone gave him an Interceptor.  I had a project VFR700 many years ago that I bought wrecked and rebuilt.  I also had a VFR500 back before my son was born 32 years ago.  That bike was a hoot!
:TPIWWP:

I love a good rescue!  :popcorn:

So what all is wrong with it? Does it run?

What are your plans with it, oem restoration or custom build?

Grat's Rich, enjoy, WW ebay will be your friend in sourcing those older parts.

ZG said:

it's a VF 500 Intercepter....
buddy had it in his garage, for the last 6 years or so... he had it running back then, and wanted to do some "minor cleanup" took stuff apart, and it sat.... but it was inside, and stayed dry... I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with it, it just needs to be pulled apart, cleaned up, inside and out, carbs and such, fluids, the usual... and reassembled...
it's all there tho, no missing bits...

I've been tossing the idea of making it a "morph" type of combo flat track/hooligan bike...

kinda an "apocolypse/zombie killer thing..."

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/the-walking-dead-custom-motorcycle-built-for-daryl-dixon

These guys in Richmond always cought my eye, especially after I built COGZilla...
(they liked my toy, and wanted to do a "stage III" version... but I wanted my work to stand as it was)

I dunno, sumthing crazy will be assembled for sure...
a more refined version of this maybe...
tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

along the lines of this...
http://www.caferacer.ph/featured/bike-feature-honda-cbr150-street-tracker-by-roger-navat/

Mad Max style could be a fun build indeed, would solve a lot of parts shortage issues, it's your canvas MOB!  :popcorn:

MAN OF BLUES said:
what say ya'll?

index.php

When people post notes (like above) that this little information on them,,, it drives you crazy.
You should be ashamed of yourself... :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

MAN OF BLUES said:
ZG said:

it's a VF 500 Intercepter....
buddy had it in his garage, for the last 6 years or so... he had it running back then, and wanted to do some "minor cleanup" took stuff apart, and it sat.... but it was inside, and stayed dry... I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with it, it just needs to be pulled apart, cleaned up, inside and out, carbs and such, fluids, the usual... and reassembled...
it's all there tho, no missing bits...

I've been tossing the idea of making it a "morph" type of combo flat track/hooligan bike...

kinda an "apocolypse/zombie killer thing..."

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/the-walking-dead-custom-motorcycle-built-for-daryl-dixon

These guys in Richmond always cought my eye, especially after I built COGZilla...
(they liked my toy, and wanted to do a "stage III" version... but I wanted my work to stand as it was)

I dunno, sumthing crazy will be assembled for sure...
a more refined version of this maybe...
tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

along the lines of this...
http://www.caferacer.ph/featured/bike-feature-honda-cbr150-street-tracker-by-roger-navat/
I surf craigslist too much for sure.  You just don't see many nice early model interceptors that haven't been molested by some kid somewhere.  It's all there.  Keep it stock perty please?

TJ said:
that's a bike deserving of restoration.

yeah, I'm thinking that now... after looking around a bit....

Oh, I apologise for the photo disappearing...  I direct linked to the pic my pal had posted and it seems it got clinched....

I went back and added it, and here again at bottom...
it's all there, so I think it's a full restoration thing for me now... as I see how much they are worth..... man, they do have history...  now I need to do more research, because this appears to be a Euro Model... with the lower fairing instead of bottom nose piece...

wow... plot thickens... in searching, I found a Euro, and the model is noted as
VF500F2 ....  :eek: :??:

86vf500rwz.jpg

even better....$$$$  :-\

Attachments

• HONDA VF500F 00202_gco0FKzeEgS_600x450.jpg
    HONDA VF500F 00202_gco0FKzeEgS_600x450.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 137
Bud said:
:bravo_2:  How far are you gonna go with this?

From the looks of it... until it's perfect.

or, I croak from the effort...
just downloaded a FSM.... 300 pgs worth...
this thing was a bloody techno-marvel in it's creation...

wow....
so compared to an '86 C10, it has stuff that kaw missed radically...
Fuel pump for one thing...(but vacume petcock is there... and also a bottom 'drain bowl' on the petcock... nice... my '78 Kz had that even...)
Carbs... OMG.... I thought I was gonna get off easily... I know carbs inside out.. and these little babies are gonna test my patiance... not only did they cram 4 32mm diaphragm carbs in the space of 2, they are mounted in the classic "Veee", downdraft/side ways manner.. and much more complex than the C10's x2... even have filters in each, at the float needle/seat...

must control my emotions... but man, I can't wait to hear this scream at 12.5k rpm... yeah, that's what they do...and why they were so desired.. damned techno marvel for an '86.

Man, that'll be sweet, Rich! I had an '83 V45 Interceptor. Saw one several years ago in Vancouver, BC and was trying to figure how to get it home until I noticed my wife giving me "the look"! Oh, well...

MY 83 V45 is still the one you regret selling many years later. I never rode the 500 although my buddy had one. He loved it's nimble handling. I still love those Honda V fours.
  What a great project bike. I don't remember factory lowers on the early Interceptors. I'm pretty sure the original years didn't have them. I will follow this rebuild with great interest(if you keep us up to date). I'm happy for Rich. I hope it comes out great.  :great:

MOB,

I believe Lockhart made lowers for the US version...and, yes...I don't know any person who relishes tearing into those carbs... :beerchug:

If anybody can do it...my money's on you!

Crocker

I can't find a specific Lockhart version, but the version on the one I'm grabbin, and also the one above it in the other photo, is from Airtech, and was of Euro manufacture, most commonly used on the Vf500f2 models for full aero effects.. vs the bottom 'cowl', which came from the factory.
should have "live photos' on Thursday... in my garage.

Weren't these Honda V4 engines famous for the cams grinding their way down through the head castings?

I'd hate for that to be the case with this one. I heard Honda did lots of warranty replacement in the early days of these engines so perhaps this one is new enough or Honda already dealt with it.

Good catch :D
Hope ya have small fingers as they are very tightly packed.
A friend had the VF400 and it was a PITA to work on.

No, the VFs and smaller VFRs are notorious for crap camchain tensioners.
Its why Honda went with gear driven cams for the bigger VFRs.

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:
Weren't these Honda V4 engines famous for the cams grinding their way down through the head castings?

I'd hate for that to be the case with this one. I heard Honda did lots of warranty replacement in the early days of these engines so perhaps this one is new enough or Honda already dealt with it.

early models went thru some issues, Just as the original C10 did, in fact, it was the same reasons.... soft cams with inclusions, hard faced followers, etc.,

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v4_cams_what.html

but mainly the early years, Magna's and Sabre's, and then the larger engines, 750, up...

the earliest VF500's may have had a few incidents, but by '86 it was old hat, and all of the 500's were virtually problem free with respect to the cam issues...

I'm not worried at all, I owned an '86 C10... and it had 138k+ when i sold it..

I'll be fine.  :great: :great: :great:

This is local to me Rich if you're interested...

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mpo/d/honda-interceptor-fairings/6694596561.html

Honda V4's are awesome. I have been riding them since 1982 and my current Sabre 700 outruns bigger bikes all the time. They sound killer when you run them up to 10k rpm's and the mid-range torque will get you out ahead of people. :)

MAN OF BLUES said:
Brooke_Benfield_OR said:

early models went thru some issues, Just as the original C10 did, in fact, it was the same reasons.... soft cams with inclusions, hard faced followers, etc.,

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v4_cams_what.html

but mainly the early years, Magna's and Sabre's, and then the larger engines, 750, up...

the earliest VF500's may have had a few incidents, but by '86 it was old hat, and all of the 500's were virtually problem free with respect to the cam issues...

I'm not worried at all, I owned an '86 C10... and it had 138k+ when i sold it..

I'll be fine.  :great: :great: :great:

I bought a used 86 VF700 back in the mid 90's with 8-9k miles on it. I proceeded to ride it across the county, and by the time I came back home, the cams were toast. Nice little bike, but I look back on that trip and wonder how the heck I managed a cross country trip on something like the VF700.   

TJ said:

You are correct.  The only thing wrong is the approach. Rich and I are buds,  so Rich... here's my thoughts... if you ruin that classic with some prepubescent "mad max"  treatment, I'm coming to your house to kick you in the nuts.

;)

Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
TJ said:

You are correct.  The only thing wrong is the approach. Rich and I are buds,  so Rich... here's my thoughts... if you ruin that classic with some prepubescent "mad max"  treatment, I'm coming to your house to kick you in the nuts.

;)

Steve

go back and read response #13 & #15.... I got over that silly idea, so no ball kicking allowed.... but you CAN come up here and visit.... :great:

"Ted can watch, but it'll cost him $200...." (Lebowski quip...)  :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao:

ZG said:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mpo/d/honda-interceptor-fairings/6694596561.html

bummer...
ad deleted.

lemme get it in the barn and look at it .... before I start thinking about $ stuff...
:))

MAN OF BLUES said:
ZG said:

bummer...
ad deleted.

lemme get it in the barn and look at it .... before I start thinking about $ stuff...
Better keep and eye on your beer money.  That two wheeled vixen has plans for that! ;D

Bud said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
ZG said:

bummer...
ad deleted.

Better keep and eye on your beer money.  That two wheeled vixen has plans for that! ;D

beer money? what's that?....
all donations appreciated, as I live on Social Security now.. and force my wife to work just so we can buy toilet paper... :-X

kinda why nobody has seen my ugly mug, at a ride or rally, in 4 years...

if it ain't free, and I can't stuff it in my pants to get it outta the store... it ain't coming home....
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

hey, that's a joke, I'm not a thief...

Liar, liar, pants on fire:
      We all know you don't use toilet paper.  :nananana:

I hope you do this project.
Can't wait to hear how much you enjoy working on those &*^&%% carbs!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Liar, liar, pants on fire:
      We all know you don't use toilet paper.  :nananana:

I hope you do this project.
Can't wait to her how much you enjoy working on those &*^&%% carbs!!

Ride safe, Ted

you are correct, the T/P is not for me, just my guests.. and my wife....
I've been friends with the Kim Jung wooo Tang Clan for a decade... I have no butthole...

http://youtu.be/yzt0IACxlFA

https://youtu.be/yzt0IACxlFA

Daddy Hung out at the daughter's wedding.. pretty quiet dude...

Attachments

• kim 3.jpg
    kim 3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 121
  • kim2.jpg
    kim2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 116
  • kim 1f.jpg
    kim 1f.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 115
on a lighter note...
rolled over to my pals house, to figger out how to get new toy in my garage... didn't move it today, but Saturday it should be in my sKuNkWeRkZ, and on the lift...

oh...
CRocker said:
MOB,

I believe Lockhart made lowers for the US version...and, yes...I don't know any person who relishes tearing into those carbs... :beerchug:

If anybody can do it...my money's on you!

Crocker

that was correct, he did say it was a Lockhart, and he doesn't have the original bottom scoop, never did. :'(

Attachments

• 28f3f1b2ea6ac91add484730488619ac.jpg
    28f3f1b2ea6ac91add484730488619ac.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 703527fabeeeb6bed0f110881a615154.jpg
    703527fabeeeb6bed0f110881a615154.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 125
connie_rider said:
Do you have any info on why it's setting there in pieces?

Ride safe, Ted

oh yeah, of course I do.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
owner is a very good friend, and ADV inmate, lives 10 minutes from me...
this is actually the third VF500F he's owned...
long story, shortened;
he bought it in fine running condition, and gave it to oldest son, 6 years back.
Son was in service in Fla., and rode it back and forth to base, till rear tire wore out...
Returned home, and it sat in garage for a couple years, till #2 son wanted it..
#2 son began disassembling it to inspect and 'clean' the carbs, and other such nonsense, but #1 son couldn't find title... #2 son got pizzed, and stopped working on it...(frankly, I think it scared him as niether he or his dad realllly wanted to tear into it willy nilly...and I'm thankful nothing was really disassembled 'inside' the plastics)
when he finally got the title squared away, in his name, he had lost interest in the thing..
Dad had it running a couple years ago, as it sat, I saw it run, but it's been sitting in the back of his heated garage like that for 4+ years...
I trust the pal, and have helped him fix his bikes a few times, nice guy, (has a DR650 fetish)...
so, he refurbed his garage and his rear storage area to make a man/boy 'cave' for  the kids (the guy had 12 kids..... I think he's down to 9 now at home), and simply wanted a "VFF sized hole" emptied and outta his workshop... thus the "free prize" for me...

now I have to make a 'VFF sized hole" in my garage for its new home (actually, just have to pull my empty lift out for it to sit upon.. and toss a bunch of empty boxes, beer cans, and other junk, just to find my lift...)

funny part was yesterday when I was over there, #4 son (17 yr's old, just got m/c license, and the one I like the best,) was eyeing it up when we were setting a delivery plan (and dad 'enlisted him' in that process), and asked "dad, do you think I could fix that all up and ride it...???".... Daddy looked at him and said...."NO".... ( I told the kid that when I get it up and running, he can "buy" it from me for the parts and costs I toss into it...)... that was good enough for son #4 to make him smile...  :rotflmao: ;) :)

I know it would be hard to see it go after getting it going.
But, I like the idea of son #4 getting it.
Mebbe you could get him involved in repairing it?

Ride safe, Ted

Rich, really cool project.
Those were beautiful then, and they are just as pretty today.
If I knew you better, I would have made the same... offer as Steve did!
Friend from Indiana had one of those, in mint condition. Had it for sale, had a "buyer" come by, and took it for a test ride - I think he's still testing it  :-[

I think with the lower fairing it looks especially nice. Keep us posted!

Jorge

it's a long way from being called 'pristine' condition, but as soon as it's filling the hole in my garage, I'll be able to give a more accurate breakdown of it's needs...

Had to put the 'pickup' on hold at the last moment, due to excessive mechanical and work obligations on the part of the current owner, followed by a recent death of one of my family members, which required some time 'out'... back to normal now, we'll see what the weekend brings.

connie_rider said:
What ever happened to this project?

Ride safe, Ted

:'( :'( :'( :mad: :-\ :-\ :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

currently in "on hold" condition, owner (my pal) and I couldn't co-ordinate a timely swap/move, and i told him to stick the pallet on the side of his garage until we could both "get 'er done" so it's double wrapped in tarps, protected, and as my garage got refilled a couple times, and severely needs to be "emptied" to get it in and stored and positioned...(with all my other buried bikes... sigh...) we are kinda in "limbo".. he's only like 2 miles from me, and I could go over and "load it all up" and bring it back here, but he has a big van, and a bike hauling rail, which would be easier all around, but we are under snow now, and I need room, as the snowblower needs to be sitting in front of the garage door...It's still mine, not loosing it, just trying to make "a hole"... I know, hard for you to grasp... but it's a way of life up here... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: