• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ninja 250 Farkles

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
On the rear of our 06 Ninja 250, there rear has 3 pods for lights. Default from the factory is to only have the center pod with the running/brake lght housing and the 2 side pods are blank. There are holes there for sockets you just have to wire it up and put bulbs in them. There are a number of things people have done. Some like to get amber lens to replace the red lens and convert them to turn signals. Others like to add more running/brake lights, othere wire them with just brake lights and use them as a 3rd eye effect.  -- Of course the big problem here is that 3 incandescent bulbs will take a lot of juice and the little Ninja 250 has little to no alternator overhead. Its really whimpy alternator.

After doing the LED bulbs in the Connie a year plus ago, I put them in the Ninja 250. I like them originally, but as I have noted in the 1156/1157 LED bulb threads, I didnt think the change in brightness when going from running lights to brake lights was the best. After following the wife on the 250 one day, I decided to put a incandecent in the center pod and just leave the 2 side pods as LED. This way it was virtually no real power draw more that stock, and the center pod had more brightness change.

Fast forward to this winter and I rode the Ninja 250 several times back and forth to work, while the Connie wait for the water pump oil seal ( for example ). And I found of course it had little overhead for running heated gear. So the quest to get the LED bulb back in the center pod and find a few other watts where I can.

I had the stock 300mm of the Connie when I replaced them with the 320mm ZZR rotors. They were still in 50% or better wear measurements and not warped or anything. I trade a fellow COG member the rotors for a Signal Dynamics LED license plate frame. The idea being that I could use that as a 3rd eye brake light effect, and that would offset the lack of contract in brightness of the LED bulbs.

I also found the rear license place light bulb is a wopping 5 watts. But on this thing 5 watts is 5 watts. It all adds up. I found some LED license plate bolts on ebay for $6 including shipping. I was nervious about these, but I figured 6 bucks was not that much. Turns out these work pretty good. I''ll post up some pics.

So here is the vid of the Ninja 250 with the rear pods all wired up, RED 1157 LED bulbs in all 3 pods and the license plate frame wired in. The 2 side pods and the license plate frame have a brake light flasher attached. The center pod is normal.

http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Ninja/images/flasher2.wmv

The little license plate bolts look like this.

IMGP6863.JPG

Here is the before and after pics in the dark of the garage. The before is the 5 watt bulb in the factory location. You can see it lights up tje reflector, frame, license plate and surrounding area. The LED bolts pretty much just light up the plate. But do a decent job.  5 more watts that I am going to send towards heated grips.

The camera exposure is not quite the same in both pics but its very very close. This is how it looks to the naked eye.

IMGP6833.JPG

IMGP6865.JPG

I guess I'll add the bottom pic has the signal dynamics frame and all. So it would  not look exactly the same if it was all lit up, but the LED bulbs really just get the plate and that it. But I am surprised they actually worked 1/2 decent.

Hey, Sly, would you be interested in a set of soft lugage for that thing.  Son bought them for his 250, but they wont work on his R6, the pipe is too high.