• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

No brake light when applying front brake

2004 C-10
Apply rear brake, brake light illuminates
Apply front brake, no brake light
Has anyone had this issue?
If so, how to fix it? TYIA!

The front brake light switch is under the brake lever…. See pic

I’m sure glad you posted this… as you can see in the picture… mine was disconnected and not working!!!! No idea how that happened or when.

Attachments

• 3A7A4BD1-3E58-4C54-8C5E-5ACB741A4874.jpeg
    3A7A4BD1-3E58-4C54-8C5E-5ACB741A4874.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 83
ONO, your problem is obvious. The wires to the switch are supposed to be secured to the handlebars so that bar movement doesn't unplug the wires. Whomever installed those bars, didn't secure the wires.

Starrider, the most likely problem is the switch. Check how the switch is mounted/wires first. ie; Jiggle test.
If still plugged in and the jiggle doesn't fix it, unplug and short across the wires.
If the brake light comes on, wash the plug out with WD-40 and plug it back in. Might fix it.
If not, you'll probably need to replace the switch.

Ride safe, Ted

No Ted, those brake wires come back out of the controls housing. They don’t move.
And, the wires are secured to handle bars, just the cable ties were slid down on yhe handle bar

I believe….
Whomever installed the throttle cable back in April, forgot the reconnect the darn things.
That was me…..
Fortunately, I use both brakes as a rule

Now, if I just get that ST2 brake light modulator installed, this would be less of a issue

Cheers
Bob

You mean, I'm wrong? Arghhhh!!!
Err, I don't think so. <evil grin>
But I'll willing to admit when I'm wrong (See **) and I will go look to be sure.

Ok, look at the handlebar diagram on page 1-18 in your Kawasaki (C-10) Shop Manual.
Page 1-18 is at the front of the manual in the General Information Section.
You will see #7 in multiple locations.
#7 is called "Strap".
There are 2 (#7) straps on the right handlebar.
(The upper strap is the strap I recalled).
Both (upper and lower) straps are there to keep the wires from moving when you move the handlebars.
Add those straps.

** NOTE:
I admit; "You are correct". It doesn't go around just the brake switch wire.
ie #1; The upper strap holds the bundle of wires. Not just the wires for the brake switch.

I'll also admit; It may not have come off because of the movement.
ie #2; You probably forgot to install it when you forgot to install the strap.

{{Ya shoulda known}}. 🤪

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Failure of that switch is common , I've been out of stock of them.for weeks and none in site yet

Murph

Thanks for the repies
I have no connector under my front brake lever. All the wiring bid enclosed in the housing with the kill switch. I can hear the switch when I depress the brake lever but alas, no brake light 🤔

The switch is tucked under the brake reservoir. The throttle cables and wiring harness cover it. If you look down on the reservoir and pull the brake lever you will be able to see the plunger for the switch. The 2 female connectors have black covers and are hard to see when connected. ONOBob has tube bars not the stock bar and it is easier to see the switch terminals. To access or remove the switch it is easiest to remove the brake reservoir/ lever mount so you can get to the switch. My connectors have gotten dirty and then the light will not work. I gave them a small squeeze before I connected them after cleaning both sides of the connection. They are not an all weather connection.

The switch is tucked under the brake reservoir. The throttle cables and wiring harness cover it. If you look down on the reservoir and pull the brake lever you will be able to see the plunger for the switch. The 2 female connectors have black covers and are hard to see when connected. ONOBob has tube bars not the stock bar and it is easier to see the switch terminals. To access or remove the switch it is easiest to remove the brake reservoir/ lever mount so you can get to the switch. My connectors have gotten dirty and then the light will not work. I gave them a small squeeze before I connected them after cleaning both sides of the connection. They are not an all weather connection.
Thanks! I’ll need to do some disassembly. The bike spent most of it’s days on the Jersey shore so I imagine the salt air might have something to do with the malfunction