• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Noisy after new tire replacement

fourwayz

Moped
Ok, I was suspicious of certain noises emanating from Conrad and attributed the noise to a bad rear tire. I HAD a full set of Metzler 880s. Never again. I still have the front which feels like driving through sand. I bought the Michelin Commander II and like it a lot. After getting everything back together and completing a 5 mile test ride, I set off to enjoy the nice weather. I had no problems until I went through a construction area 40 miles outbound. In the left lane I had rolled on the throttle and heard a "ruck-ruck-ruck" sound from the rear of Conrad that could not hear otherwise. This happens when the throttle is rolled on. Maybe an alignment issue I missed? There was no weird tire wear in the 80 miles of riding. Suggestions?

(Construction area) Is it possible the rear is moving up and down on the rougher road,,,  and the axle is hitting the Muffler?
Accelerating, the rear of the bike will squat. Could be causing the same thing..

Put the bike on the center stand and rotate the wheel inspecting carefully.
Check tire run out and clearances
Then,,  use tie downs (between swing arm and frame) to raise the swingarm.
  Do the same inspection.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for the responses! Splines looked fine and I had lubed them not more than 500 miles ago when I replaced the rear bearings trying to figure out this noise. MAYBE I should loosen the final drive mount bolts (4) AND the axle when doing this to "ENSURE" alignment? In the construction area, it was smooth as glass. I checked the tire for run out and it was not "perfect". There is plenty of clearance for the axle and there's not a thumping/bumping noise. For those with chains, imagine a low noise from a dry length of drive chain but without the vibration. I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot today as the S.O. HAD to go to the doctor.

I posted a video of the tire rotating while on the centerstand. Conrad is in first gear and at an idle. YES, my helper has a firm grip on the front brake! :great: I think the tire is the culprit. Maybe deflate , break the bead and re-inflate is in order. What do you think? Here's the location: https://youtu.be/tV8KR9fPzhU

Rim seems to be running true, funny thing is the brake rotors outside diameter seems to be running out the same amount as the tire, not related probably. Yea I don't like the runout of the tire, is the "mud flap" in front of rear tire being rubbed by tire when the high side of the tire gets close to it?

Bob_C_CT said:
Rim seems to be running true, funny thing is the brake rotors outside diameter seems to be running out the same amount as the tire, not related probably. Yea I don't like the runout of the tire, is the "mud flap" in front of rear tire being rubbed by tire when the high side of the tire gets close to it?
Rubbing the mudflap will leave a mark, but don't put too much in it unless you are sure the mark wasn't there before. I'd remove and reinstall that rotor too. That doesn't seem right. 

Look CAREFULLY,
The rotor did not have visible appreciable runout, nor did the rim. All the issue is in the tire. I would try to reset the bead and see what you get. If you can't get it to run more true than that get another tire. There is a dirty section on the machined edge that makes it appear that the rotor has runout. It is an illusion.
Matt

UPDATE I returned to the bike shop who gladly dismounted and re-mounted the tire and the Rucking noise is gone! Thanks for the suggestions and comments to all who responded!! :bravo_2: