• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(NY) Newburgh Meet & Greet - May 12, 2012

Outback_Jon

Well, since it is this coming Saturday, and Cap'n Bob hasn't started a thread yet, I figured I would.  Pending overtime (gotta pay for the National!) I expect to be there.  Maybe even on time.

Come join us for lunch at our monthly meet and greet in Newburgh, NY. It's a chance to meet some of the COG family and friends. There is also the possibility of a short ride afterwards. This is a monthly Meet & Greet, normally held on the second Saturday of the month. All are welcome to attend our get together. Come meet some of the COG bunch and hopefully have a great time. 

Newburgh, NY Meet & Greet

Start Time:  11:00am
Event Location: Neptune Diner (Newburgh, NY)
Address: 82 Rte. 17K , Newburgh , NY  12550
Directions: The Neptune Diner is in the Town of Newburgh, NY. It is located a short distance from both I-87 & I- 84. From Albany or NYC. Take I-87 (The NY State Thruway) to exit 17. Take a right on Rt300 South(Union ave). Proceed through one light to the next light (17K West). Make a right at the light. Then Neptune is on your right. From PA. Take I-84 east to exit 6. Make a right at the light on to 17K East (towards Newburgh). Travel 2.2 miles (through 2 lights). The Neptune will be on the left. From CT. Take I-84 west to exit 7B. Make a left at light on to 300(Union Ave). Proceed through 3 lights to 17K West. Make a right at the light on to 17K west. The Neptune will be on the right.

Thanks Jon.  I would have started one, but I normally wait until the weekend before is almost over, to avoid confusion. (plus I was out riding most of the weekend)  But earlier is fine to. Thanks for taking the lead!  :)

I hope to have my motor running by the weekend so I can come on two wheels.  I'm currently waiting for a new battery that I ordered online yesterday.

Gonna have to miss this one... working a ERC that day.  One or two COG members will be participating so it could qualify as a club activity  ::)

So far the weather looks to be about 73 degrees and partly to cloudy. Sounds like a nice day for a little camaraderie and riding. Hope to see y'all there.  :)

My new battery is due in today so I should be on two wheels on Saturday.  Look forward to doing some riding and talking about the No Bad Roads National.  :)

According to Google...1,207 mi, 20 hours 31 min. I may not make this one! Although I might just "pop in" one day....mmmm. Sounds Fun!

GlenJJ said:
According to Google...1,207 mi, 20 hours 31 min. I may not make this one! Although I might just "pop in" one day....mmmm. Sounds Fun!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Springfield,+MO&daddr=Eureka+Springs,+AR&hl=en&sll=36.401182,-93.737971&sspn=0.153365,0.220757&geocode=FX3DNwId9Xhw-ik_mMhF92LPhzGgDWkes2z9aw%3BFR5wKwIdDaxp-inXyLgZttLOhzFW21NKPruS5w&oq=Springfield,+Mo&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

According to Google...85.7 mi, 1 hour 56 min. :motonoises: 
Is it safe to say that you will be in Eureka Springs in five weeks?
  :)

I will be there and hope to have Tony with me. Capt. Bob do you still use the TPX radar detector? I would like to talk  to you about it.

Looking forward to Saturday's Meet & Greet.

305595_406186639402611_100000338356646_1339013_1730237570_n.jpg

;)

OK, the updated weather forecast is calling for 79 degrees and nothing but sun shine. It sounds like a great day to come out and eat and/or ride.  :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Steve & I will make this one.  We have 10 yards of mulch to shovel before we leave for Rhode Island next week....and probably still some bike prep to do  ::)

If anybody would like to burn off the calories of their delicious lunch by shovelling mulch please send me a message and I will give you the address.  We have beer and pizza...and vodka and wings.  And a couple of cute cats.  OK, just one cute cat, the other one is a jerk.

Sorry we will miss out.  Looking forward to seeing all in Rhode Island.  We need to figure out how to pack the metal detector.

Just got back from my 600 mile service. The bike is ready, I will be there.  Google says 250 miles and 4 hrs. Sounds like a nice ride.

As I stated earlier, pending overtime, I will be there.

Cap'n Bob - If I'm there, I'd like to get that Rifle base from you.  I've got a shield for it ordered from Murph already.  Thanks.  (Willing to ride to your house after lunch to pick it up if necessary, you don't have to bring it to the diner...)

Outback Jon said:
As I stated earlier, pending overtime, I will be there.

Cap'n Bob - If I'm there, I'd like to get that Rifle base from you.  I've got a shield for it ordered from Murph already.  Thanks.  (Willing to ride to your house after lunch to pick it up if necessary, you don't have to bring it to the diner...)

I was going to strap the Rifle base on the FJR and bring it with me. But if your not sure that you are coming. Maybe I uncover the Mean Streak and ride that instead. It hasn't been out since last year. But I'll look in a little bit. If I see your coming, I'll take the FJR. Although I probably won't look after 8-8:30. So if I don't hear by then. You just may have to ride over and get it.

OK, last chance. The weather is calling for 77 degrees and nothing but sun. It's 6:10am now and I can see nothing but blue sky appearing. Come on out. It looks like a great day for a ride.

Obviously I didn't make it.  Got hired for overtime.  I'll try and hook up with you sometime in the next week or two.  Hope the lunch and any riding went well.

Well it was a beautiful day for a COG Meet & Greet and ride. I broke out the Mean Streak out of it's winter cocoon and took her out today. The weather was high 70's and not a cloud in the sky. We had a decent group with nine folks from four states in attendance. It was nice to meet David and Tyler. Hopefully we'll see y'all again at a future event. The food again was very good and the staff took good care of us.
  Afterwards, four of us went for a ride. Although Mike started having fueling problems (possible bad petcock on his C10). So unfortunately Mike smartly chose to play it safe and head for home right away. I haven't heard from him yet so hopefully Mike got home OK. So Tyler, Ben and I continued on for a ride up into Sullivan county. I enjoyed the ride on my cruiser. Hopefully I didn't hold folks up too bad!  :))
    Anyway, I want to thank all that came out today. It's you folks that make these work. Maybe I'll see some of you next weekend in Rhode Island.  ;)

It appears that the fueling problem has something to do with the fuel tank venting.  For a while after I left you the motor would only run with the petcock on Prime.  But it died on me again even with the petcock on Prime. :(  I had to pop the filler cap to vent the tank to get the motor to run.

Since it was early I rode directly to Circle Cycle for them to have a look at it.  I found I was able to put the petcock back in the Normal On position and ride the last 20 miles.  At C.C. we checked the tank and could hear it burp when we popped the filler cap.  But a check of the vent line indicated that it was clear. 

On the ride home from C.C. the motor died twice.  The tank was low enough that it needed to be on Reserve but would not run on Reserve, which was a problem I experienced during Fall Foliage at Lake George.  It would only run on Prime.  At Lake George, once I filled the tank it ran fine in the Normal On position.

Once I got home from C.C. I left my motor idling on Reserve for 10-15 minutes to see if it would die.  The motor almost overheated even thought the cooling fan was running, but it did not die on Reserve.  After I shut it down I was getting a loud whistling from the filler cap.  I popped the cap and let the tank vent but when I closed the cap the loud whistling returned. 

I rechecked the vent line and could not find any problem.  At this point I am at a loss of how to proceed. :truce:  Anyone have any suggestions?

???

Why not try blowing compressed air back up through the vent line. Maybe it might dislodge any clog. IIRC, shouldn't the tank also vent through the cap.

Thanks to Bob for putting together a great M&G. Nice to see some new faces Dave and Tyler. Always good to see the familiar faces too. Enjoy RI those of you who are going. I've got a long trip in mid June and just can't take more time.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to all for welcoming a new face to the group.  I enjoyed talking with everyone and certainly is a great place to meet & greet.  If it weren't for the time and miles that I needed to return home I would have enjoyed riding with everyone.  As it was I ran down I-84 to Port Jervis (a little out of the way) but I just had to run  Route 97 just once.  I think every motorcyclist from 3 states had the same idea.  I ran it all the way back up to Hancock and caught up with 3 guys on St1300's.  We ran to Windsor and up Route 79 towards Ithaca.  I made it home to Waterloo about 6:00 pm and 480 miles for the day. Thanks again Bob and hope to see some of you at Americade.