• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

old gen connie replacement?

motorhead748

Tricycle
Ive put about 250K on my 2 connies, 120K+ on the `99 & nearing 120K on the `06. I know I`m preaching to the choir but they are and have been great bikes. I`ve never been stranded and have spent less than $100 on repairs between the 2 bikes.
So what should I replace it with?
1.Its usage is about 70/30 slab to twisties,  1a. I have sportbikes for the fun stuff.
2. I like simple machines. Fuel Mileage is important. With an average of 20K/yr travelled, 40mpg & $4/gal fuel =$2K/yr fuel bill on this bike alone.
3.I much prefer a shaft drive
Lately I`ve been thinking about a guzzi norge. I have a V11 sport and love the way it runs and it has character in spades.  Sometimes I`ll throw on the soft luggage and use it for trips, especially if I can get to some better roads.
Im not crazy about the conc14, I dont need 150 hp (see 1a) and it would be harder on tires and ins is costlier.
any comments?

If the '06 is still running good why would you want to change anything? ???  You know the bike, you know how to maintain it, the only real issue is tire choices; why spend the extra money unless you just want to buy another bike?

Ranger Jim said:
If the '06 is still running good why would you want to change anything? ???  You know the bike, you know how to maintain it, the only real issue is tire choices; why spend the extra money unless you just want to buy another bike?
I`m not looking to trade tonite or probaly not even this summer. Why do I want to trade? It is and has been a great bike but it wont run forever. In my job I work 12 hrs/day turning wrenches so when I get out for a ride the last thing that better happen is for me to have to work on my bike.
And a couple of years ago I rode a friends BMW r1150RT for about 175 miles. In every area besides price it was better (for me), quieter, smoother, better handling and from his account better fuel mileage. If I hadnt been delivering it to his daughter I would have bought it.

Tim said:
Have you ridden a C14? Find one to test drive and then make the decision.
I`m sure they are a great bike. I have a couple of friends with them and they love them but they tell me the fuel mileage is in the mid 30`s @ 80 mph. Anything I get has to at least get 40 and have a range of at least 250 miles comfortably.

motorhead said:
Tim said:
Have you ridden a C14? Find one to test drive and then make the decision.
I`m sure they are a great bike. I have a couple of friends with them and they love them but they tell me the fuel mileage is in the mid 30`s @ 80 mph. Anything I get has to at least get 40 and have a range of at least 250 miles comfortably.

My 2008 is always at least 37, freeway over 40. I don't like to drive 250 without stopping. I guess I could do it but I never ride with anyone that wants to. That Norge looks like a great bike. It has a 6.1 gal tank. Reports show it getting about 40mpg. So you could do 230 or so. 

From your description and requirements, you are on the perfect mount for you already.  That said, you may want to purchase another 06 or other low-mileage, reasonably late model C-10 that is being neglected, languishing in some garage somewhere and continue your current streak of biking bliss.  From what I'm reading, there really isn't much out there that fills your bill like a C-10.  I'm largel in the same boat, though I require a few more changes to the Connie to make her my ideal.  That's my nickle ninety-eight.

There's a bunch of fairly low milage c10's out there cheap. Got my 87 for 1900$ with 21000 last year . No breakdowns in 12000 miles .just standard older bike repairs so far .thinking about getting another as a spare during farkel times .

Motorhead...are you thinking about moving away from the C10 this time?  Cause I'm thinking like the others....pick up another used low mileage 05 or 06 and keep on going.

I know what he means though.  I'm on my 4th C10 and I absolutely love it.  But a few years down the road, I think I'll consider a C14 just for the experience of having something different.

Sport Rider said:
Motorhead...are you thinking about moving away from the C10 this time?  Cause I'm thinking like the others....pick up another used low mileage 05 or 06 and keep on going.
although I`m not in love with a C10 I very well might get another low mileage one and start over. It is a great bike, I just put another 1200 miles on it this weekend.

Although I drool over the Norge...why not a low mileage 06 with a seventh gear option? And of course a new oil pump. ;)

ChipDoc said:
I know what he means though.  I'm on my 4th C10 and I absolutely love it.  But a few years down the road, I think I'll consider a C14 just for the experience of having something different.

Hopefully after a few years the price of parts for the c14 will be a bit more affordable also .

I have the bike that would have been named the Concours 1200 if it was shaft drive (its not). It's the Euro version for sport touring called a ZZR1200. A little more emphasis on sporting than touring, it does not have a big fairing and hard bags. Better windshields and hard bags are available for it though. You can buy one for around $4k, I get 40+ traveling at 80+ speeds and its a Kawasaki. My best mileage at a steady 65mph is 49mpg on regular.

Is there a path to obtaining bikes which aren't actually released over here?  Or was it simply serendipity that you happened across this one? 

ChipDoc said:
Is there a path to obtaining bikes which aren't actually released over here?  Or was it simply serendipity that you happened across this one?

The ZZR1200, aka ZX12C, IS a US released bike.  I have the front wheel off of one on my Connie and am searching for an engine from one as well. 

THey are a great bike with good power (make that excellent power) a broad torque curve, and good handling.  THey also had saddlebags available, but few seem to have them (Beetle bags I think they were called).  The post 2002 models had beeter forks (more adjustable) but all were about the same other wise save for color (sound familiar).  They were produced for only a few years and might be considered another CULT bike sort of like our own beloved steed.

THeir biggest drawback IMHO is chain drive and their yet sportier fairing and appointments.  Much less weather protection than a Connie.

For me it is the V strom 1000. Just picked it up tonite. The only negative and I`m not too sure it is a big one is  chain drive.
After a quarter million miles on 2 connies I`ll have to say I felt funny when I left it at the dealer. I went back and rode past it. Lots of miles and memories,,all of them good.

My first thought was a late model Bandit 1250.  You can find reasonable deals and add bags and STILL have a cheap, comfortable, and powerful sport tourer that will run forever.  Dare I say it?  A dressed Bandit 1250 would totally dust a C10.  I'm going for a nighttime ride now, with all this talk.

I still don't know why Suzuki never put a shaft on the Bandit. It is a blast to ride, but difficult to do legally. I know...it has a few deficits, but it hauls ass and has the torque of a tractor. Now if I could just find a fair price on a sidecar for it...

Since you mentioned touring first, and I have replaced my C10....(high side get off)

You will really love the FI (more power AND mpg) and electric shield that comes w/ newer bikes.

I tried the ST13, the FJR, the C14 , and the Norge and landed on the FJR.

The first 2 have higher mpg AND range between fills. The second 2 have lower mpg AND range.

The ST and C14 FEEL taller/bigger. The FJR and Norge FEEL shorter/smaller. (buy what fits you)

If you ride all 4 (or keep on the C10) you will be very happy!!! ;)

Since Suzuki Bandits are suggested, another alternative in that same genre is the 95 - 98 Kaw GPZ 1100 (ZX1100E).  GPZ has fairing lowers where the Bandit doesn't.  They do not block the wind anywhere like a C10 does - really more of a warm weather bike, at least for MI.

Chain drive.

Smooth reliable motor, good gas mileage, lots of useable power in the midrange and much better brakes than C10's.  17" wheels.  Shares some parts with the C10 - water pump - alternator - etc. 

They are getting older, but can be found with low miles for just a bit more than an average used C10.