• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!

zg

I think this "OTHER BIKE" section on here needs some love and attention...  :)

Hopefully this is a thread many can engage in and be a part of!  :welcome: :campfire:

Post up pics of your past & present bikes you've had or have, tell a little bit about them or just post a pic, no wrong answer here folks!  ;D

:TPIWWP: :TPIWWP: :TPIWWP:

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

I'll start it off with one of my past bikes, 01 929RR, man this bike was a blast. It had a damaged title and needed some TLC, I fixed her up and rode it for a couple years, good times!  :great: :great:

Here's another one of my fav's, 91 GSXR1100.  :-*

This one I bought down in LA, one way plane ticket PDX to LAX, plan was to buy and ride it home, made it about a 3rd the way, had mechanical issues, had to rent a Uhaul and load her in the back and drive it home. Very challenging finding parts for these old girls now days, pretty much only source for parts is forums and ebay. A couple years later finally finished the restoration, she was a gem!  :)

This is one that I'm now sad that I let her go, sold it on ebay and she made her way north to Canada...  :'(  :s_bye2:

Parts were so hard to find I ended up buying another complete bike, just because I got such a good deal on it, drove to Idaho and bought the other one.

It worked out good for Gumby me having 2 of them...  :)

My 2007 KLR - last year of Gen1  geared up for light adventure riding

Down in the Sierras by Lake Isabella

chimney_1.jpg

this was one of my favorites to ride.  narrow bike, fairly light, plenty of torque from the v-twin.

Attachments

• davesvx800.jpg
    davesvx800.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 146
this one was surprisingly more comfortable than I thought it would be.  lots of fun in the mountains.

Attachments

• buell.jpg
    buell.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 143
I had this bike in high school, I took my MC endorsement test on it. 1968 Yamaha... YR2C, if memory serves. 2-stroke twin. Yes, that is a wooden seat I made, the bike had burnt prior to my owning it and there was nothing left of the seat but the metal pan. I also had to make a new wiring harness, and I repainted the entire bike in my bedroom after doing the disassembly and prep in the basement. Then I put the bike together and rode it down the stairs and out the front door. Well, we came a long way from my first bike that my mom flipped out over.

Attachments

• 68yr2c.jpg
    68yr2c.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 124
And here's the last Triumph I had, a '72 Tiger. I painted that bike red, replaced the mufflers with '69 bullet style, low handlebars and a few other subtle mods, as well as rebuilding the motor and refinishing just about every part on it.

I am very sad I can't find any pictures of it completed. I don't think I took any.

Attachments

• Tiger1.jpg
    Tiger1.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 121
Here's one of my past fav's, 93 CBR900RR, man this bike was a hoot!  :motonoises: :great:

When I got her she was a wrecked oem white with red/blue, when I rebuilt it she ended up in a full red dress!  :)

Sport Rider said:
this was one of my favorites to ride.  narrow bike, fairly light, plenty of torque from the v-twin.

I need some more details on this one SR...  :)  :popcorncouple:

These three ZRX's are in my garage now

Attachments

• 20160320_144856.jpg
    20160320_144856.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20160902_065454.jpg
    20160902_065454.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 126
Had this for a couple years along with my first ZRX

And this 96 DR 350 for a few years

And this beast for about a year, xl 600r

SalNap said:
Had this for a couple years along with my first ZRX

Good memories with that post, thanks SN!  :beerchug:

I had an 83(?) back in the day, Kerker exhaust on it, man that bike was a blast!  :motonoises: :great: :great:

ZG said:
Sport Rider said:

that one is a Suzuki VX800.  it was sold here in the states from 90 to 94, I believe.  production ran until 96 in other areas of the world. it was an 800 Intruder motor in a standard frame, but included shaft drive.  I bought that one in stock purple color, but it was pretty clapped out.  I rebuilt and fixed where needed and had a friend paint it yellow.  the fairing was an aftermarket one made by Powerbronze.  unfortunately, a friend of my son decided it needed to be wrecked.  that led to my first track bike, a Triumph TT600.  ;D

Here's my current dual-sport, 2015 KTM 500EXC, I'm SOOOO glad I bought this bike, fuel injected 500cc street legal dirt bike that weighs only 240 lbs. I bought it as a leftover model when the 2016's came out and got a super smokin deal on it. I had the suspension resprung for me, bigger fuel tank, better lighting, better seat, some extra storage, etc...

I rode friends dirt bikes when I was younger, and have had a couple dozen street bikes over the years, but this is actually my first dirt bike I've owned.

Sometimes I ride it to the office or around town as well, it's like a toy, so hard not to ride it like a hooligan round town...  :motonoises:  :truce:

I love how light weight it is, very easy to pick up, and trust me I have to pick it up a lot off road!  :motonoises:  :-\  :))

Living in the PNW, having a dual sport or full off-road bike is a great way to get outdoors, get some great exercise, and do whatever you want with friends, not many rules when off the grid!  :great:

Sport Rider said:
ZG said:
Sport Rider said:

that one is a Suzuki VX800.  it was sold here in the states from 90 to 94, I believe.  production ran until 96 in other areas of the world. it was an 800 Intruder motor in a standard frame, but included shaft drive.  I bought that one in stock purple color, but it was pretty clapped out.  I rebuilt and fixed where needed and had a friend paint it yellow.  the fairing was an aftermarket one made by Powerbronze.  unfortunately, a friend of my son decided it needed to be wrecked.  that led to my first track bike, a Triumph TT600.  ;D

:goodpost:  :great: :great:

Very cool SR, I don't think I remember those. And with shaft drive, crazy!  :eek:

WANDRNG said:
My 2007 KLR - last year of Gen1  geared up for light adventure riding

Down in the Sierras by Lake Isabella

chimney_1.jpg

Great pic WD!  :great: :great:

WillyP said:
I had this bike in high school, I took my MC endorsement test on it. 1968 Yamaha... YR2C, if memory serves. 2-stroke twin. Yes, that is a wooden seat I made, the bike had burnt prior to my owning it and there was nothing left of the seat but the metal pan. I also had to make a new wiring harness, and I repainted the entire bike in my bedroom after doing the disassembly and prep in the basement. Then I put the bike together and rode it down the stairs and out the front door. Well, we came a long way from my first bike that my mom flipped out over.

:goodpost: Very cool WP!  :great:

As I search for more pics of my old bikes I can't help but think how simple things were back then, if you needed a seat, grab some wood and make one!  :eek: :allhail:

I can think of quite a few bike paint projects etc in the garage of my folks house back then, life was so much simpler pre-internets for farkling yer ride!  :72:

ZG said:
I love how light weight it is, very easy to pick up, and trust me I have to pick it up a lot off road!  :motonoises:  :-\  :))
Your dualsport is lighter than my dualsport

Here's my 2 Honda V65 Magna's I restored.
The 1986 was about a 75% restoration
While the 1984 was a complete frame up restoration
down to every nut & bolt. I still
Have both & ride them regularly. 

Attachments

• 20140710_144630 (Copy).jpg
    20140710_144630 (Copy).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3707 (Copy).JPG
    100_3707 (Copy).JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20160131_134319 (Copy).jpg
    20160131_134319 (Copy).jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 104
I had a 71 DT250 new. Third bike for me.
Was stationed on a destroyer during Vietnam era. Last visited port was Hong Kong before Subic Bay, PI before ship rotating back to San Diego.
Asked Exc if ok to bring back mc. Yes, so three of us did. Bikes were hoisted up from pier to 01 exterior level deck next to torpedo tubes and tied to safety cable stanchions. Bikes in crate and sealed in plastic so no salt exposure during transit. Borrows crow bar from machinists mate and used bike tool to assemble front wheel/bars. Rode it down the gangway to the pier.
Many a good time riding around the county and out in the desert trails.

File photo of ship

Attachments

• UssChevalierDD805.jpg
    UssChevalierDD805.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 105
I had several dirt bikes when I was younger. Much younger, as in beginning40 plus years ago. No surviving pictures although I did repurchase my second "real" bike about 30 years ago and have kept it in captivity out in the shed untouched (as in unrestored, which it needs/deserves desperately). I did get it fired up this summer just to see if it would. That ones a '72 (?) Suzuki TS125.
After that there were some Yamaha MXs and an IT175.
I never had any interest in street bikes. Figured a mistake on a dirt bike could (and did) injure me and that was my fault. On the road someone else's mistake could kill me.
Then I got married and started a contracting business and life went on. Most "toys" we're in the form of snowmobiles to help pass the time during the long MN winters.
Then a few years ago while attending and swapping at the largest power sports swap event in MN I was starting to notice road bikes. Not sure why, but a browse thru CraigsList found something that looked useful and unintimidating. And under $1000. And only a few miles away.
So I contacted the guy and went and had a look. Bought it, left my car there and rode the '82 (?) Honda GL500 home. 175 miles home. On a bike I knew nothing about history wise, old weather checked tires and no current license-me (no mc endorsement) or the bike. Reception at home was less than enthusiastic, to say the least and it meant a round trip drive to retrieve the car. But, I have/had bought dozens of snowmobiles and turned them (sometimes quite profitably to finance other toys/trips), so figured this could just be another such participant.
After new tires I enjoyed it. After a couple short rides the wife even enjoyed it. A lot. It was a great beginner street bike. Easy to ride, easy to touch the ground, stable and relatively underpowered. I needed/wanted more, but this one was the one that started me on the path to riding on the roads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 128
danodemotoman said:
I had a 71 DT250 new. Third bike for me.
Was stationed on a destroyer during Vietnam era. Last visited port was Hong Kong before Subic Bay, PI before ship rotating back to San Diego.
Asked Exc if ok to bring back mc. Yes, so three of us did. Bikes were hoisted up from pier to 01 exterior level deck next to torpedo tubes and tied to safety cable stanchions. Bikes in crate and sealed in plastic so no salt exposure during transit. Borrows crow bar from machinists mate and used bike tool to assemble front wheel/bars. Rode it down the gangway to the pier.
Many a good time riding around the county and out in the desert trails.

File photo of ship

:goodpost: :allhail: :great: :great:

jettawreck said:
I had several dirt bikes when I was younger. Much younger, as in beginning40 plus years ago. No surviving pictures although I did repurchase my second "real" bike about 30 years ago and have kept it in captivity out in the shed untouched (as in unrestored, which it needs/deserves desperately). I did get it fired up this summer just to see if it would. That ones a '72 (?) Suzuki TS125.
I never had any interest in street bikes. Figured a mistake on a dirt bike could (and did) injure me and that was my fault. On the road someone else's mistake could kill me.
Then I got married and started a contracting business and life went on. Most "toys" we're in the form of snowmobiles to help pass the time during the long MN winters.
Then a few years ago while attending and swapping at the largest power sports swap event in MN I was starting to notice road bikes. Not sure why, but a browse thru CraigsList found something that looked useful and unintimidating. And under $1000. And only a few miles away.
So I contacted the guy and went and had a look. Bought it, left my car there and rode the '82 (?) Honda GL500 home. 175 miles home. On a bike I knew nothing about history wise, old weather checked tires and no current license-me (no mc endorsement) or the bike. Reception at home was less than enthusiastic, to say the least and it meant a round trip drive to retrieve the car. But, I have/had bought dozens of snowmobiles and turned them (sometimes quite profitably to finance other toys/trips), so figured this could just be another such participant.
After new tires I enjoyed it. After a couple short rides the wife even enjoyed it. A lot. It was a great beginner street bike. Easy to ride, easy to touch the ground, stable and relatively underpowered. I needed/wanted more, but this one was the one that started me on the path to riding on the roads.

:goodpost: :13:

And currently the 2004 Honda ST1300.
Click on the pics to view full size low resolution.
Not sure how to get around the file size limit for full size pics like many are able to post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 136
Ok, I think I can get away with this one, since I no longer have her...  :??:  :'(

At the end of 2010 when the 2011's were hitting dealers I bought a brand new left over 09ABS Connie for $10k OTD, this was the very first bike in all my life that I bought brand new, all my prior bikes were always used.

Here's a pic of her on day one, I had them remove that ugly rear fender and oem potato launcher before even riding her home, and that's where the journey started.  :)

She wen't through a couple renditions over the years of ownership, I have short attention span, lot's of great times and memories with this ZG, had it not been for this bike I most likely would never have found COG. Lot's of time and dough went into this bike, she kept me entertained for many years!  :great: :great:

My very first sport touring bike was an 06 VFR800, loved this bike, bullet proof and so comfy compared to all my prior sport bikes, lockable hard luggage gave me a new look on bikes and what I wanted as I aged.

I did some odd's and ends to her, exhaust, seat, bar risers, etc. For a solo bike it was everything I wanted, only reason I let her go was she just wasn't a great 2up loaded bike for me & mama...  :??:

Now that I dig for pics and post this maybe I'll need to pick up another, I always liked the red/wht/blu ones they did a couple years later...  >:D

This was the first bike our youngest daughter began to go on rides with me, great times! Don't hate on the lack of ATGATT, I wasn't as mature then as I am now...  :truce: ;) :)

1981 Suzuki GS650E.  (Internet pic)  Was a great first bike. Had it for a few years and learned how to ride.  But, it was tough keeping up with my friends who were driving 1000s and 1100s.

1984 Honda V65 Magna.  Had it for many years and many miles. 

Picked up a KLR 250 to satisfy my off-road riding.

2005 Honda 919. 

Pilgrim said:

Like!  :great:

What year is that PG? I'd love to hear more about this one...  :)  :popcorncouple:

Ok, I'm having to dig for old photo albums now, pre digital photo's lol, here's some phone pics of those, much faster than scanning them in...  ;D

This was an 87 Ninja 250, judging by the Langlitz leather pants, tennis shoes, and mullet  :eek:,  I'm going to guess this pic was taken in about 88/89'sh. These bikes weren't off the line fast, but they were like an RX7 rotary engine and red-lined at like 12 or 14k, an absolute blast in tight twisties!  :motonoises: :great:

I ended up wrecking it, back then having no $ I glued & fiberglassed the backside of the bodywork back together and rattle canned it full red in my Dad's garage (I was still living at home back then), it actually came out pretty good, I probably didn't spend more than $100 fixing/painting myself...  :great:

The hot chick on it in this pic is my then highschool girlfriend... (she's now my wife of 25+ years  :-*)

ZG said:
Pilgrim said:

Like!  :great:

What year is that PG? I'd love to hear more about this one...  :)  :popcorncouple:

I believe it was a 1985.  I bought it from the original owner in the 90s while I had the V65.  Replaced the DOT tires with knobbies and explored the NH woods and power lines for years with it.  Very reliable and took a beating. 

Marc,
Yeah the cx based gL was imo a good unit with an engine that was durable.
I had the last year, 1983, that had the bored/stroked? 674 cc that they called the GL650, that was also the interstate model with 3/4 fairing, saddle bags and top box over the passenger seat. I did outgrow it in 2 yrs and got my first Connie a '98 in Aug 1997.

jettawreck said:

Back in the day we did things that are not 'acceptable' today. 2yr old daughter Carrie in back pack. I was just putting around on a remote gravel road with wife taking photo
PE 250 near Evanston WY 1982 was working construction on high elevation (8k ft) gas fields.

First bike was a 1972? KZ400 I bought used in 1976. I don't have any pictures of that bike.
Second bike was a 1978 KZ1000 purchased through overseas purchase service and picked up in San Francisco when I returned from Italy.

Wrecked that bike in December 1978 in New Mexico riding from San Diego to the east coast for school.
Next was a 1979 KZ1000LTD purchased in spring of 1979 to ride back to San Diego.

The vette in the background was bought after wrecking the 1978 KZ1000 with plans to drive it back to San Diego and sell it. Wrecked it after about 6 weeks.
Next was a 1990 HD Superglide that I still have and ride on weekends.

In 2010 I bought my 2010 C14 for road trips. It is my daily commuter, when work allows.

Really wished I had kept the 78 and 79.

Whelp, I sold my connie and have an 08 FJR AE now, so not sure if this qualifies but this is it.....................

Attachments

• fjrae.jpg
    fjrae.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 107
i can play.

It's partly SiSF's fault. He let me ride his c14 with trick Traxion/Penske suspension. I was gonna get a Versys next year or in '18, after the c10 turned a quarter million miles. The ride on his bike with that trick suspension sold me on updating sooner iff'n it made sense. A short time later I found this:

79_ec223_fdbbfac1_tn.jpg.thumb

JAY.....

circa 1980 something, after a couple crashes...gotta dig up the history photos taken of various stuff... pre digital...
my '78, Ltd...
mising some parts...

looks like this now...

but, that is after it was wrecked again, in '02

digging for OLD stuff and digitizing... I'll be back....

My 2003 Honda Magna VF750C brand new on her maiden ride.

The first "new" bike I ever bought. The very last year of the 3rd generation of the name.

Love this bike. Quick, light, easy to ride and as bulletproof as the Concours. Doesn't get as much ride time as in the past, but still in my stable.
btrees.jpg

Keith,

Love the V4's!
Brother Mark bought this 1985 V65 Sabre new in box in 1987 at Renton WA Honda and when he moved to NM in 2004 I bought it after bugging him to sell it the last 10 years!  :pokestick:

Good thread ZG. :great:
I've been fortunate to have quite a few over the years, hard to choose pics-
Also an excellent choice with the 500EXC.... maybe Santa will bring me one this year! >:D

Gotta throw a GL1800 in here for ya...
Probably the best pic I got from a 5000+ mile cross-country trip back in '09.
Somewhere in the Sierra Mtns-

And ongoing/upcoming winter project: 2001 Yamaha FZ1 streetfighter
No beauty queen but perfect for when I feel like hanging it out! :motonoises:

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 104
  • FZ1 011.JPG
    FZ1 011.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 96
The one that brought me to COG damn near 20 years ago I guess...  I would love to know where it is!

Attachments

• C10small.jpg
    C10small.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 103
danodemotoman said:
Back in the day we did things that are not 'acceptable' today. 2yr old daughter Carrie in back pack. I was just putting around on a remote gravel road with wife taking photo
PE 250 near Evanston WY 1982 was working construction on high elevation (8k ft) gas fields.

Great pic D!  :great: :great:

LakeTrax said:
Good thread ZG. :great:
I've been fortunate to have quite a few over the years, hard to choose pics-
Also an excellent choice with the 500EXC.... maybe Santa will bring me one this year! >:D

Gotta throw a GL1800 in here for ya...
Probably the best pic I got from a 5000+ mile cross-country trip back in '09.
Somewhere in the Sierra Mtns-

And ongoing/upcoming winter project: 2001 Yamaha FZ1 streetfighter
No beauty queen but perfect for when I feel like hanging it out! :motonoises:

Thanks LT!  :beerchug:

And thanks for the Wing love n pic, big girls are fun and comfy!  :)

Keep us posted on the FZ1 project...  :popcorncouple:

1984 Honda VF1000R bought as a  parts bike with missing 2nd gear in 2001, spent the next 10 years building it up.  Love the big V4.  Tank was ordered  from UK with a more square look.  My first paint job, looks better in the picture than it really was.  Sold  :??:

Ok, here's a recent one of mine, 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

This is the bike I traded my ZG for, but decided to let the 1290SA go just a couple months ago...  :??:

I wasn't even shopping for a new bike when I did this deal, it was more just the right timing. I was looking at it at my local shop, very cool bike and like nothing I'd ever had, drinking lots o orange cool-aid after just buying the EXC lead me to this one... In talking to my local shop they were like "hey you should get one", to which my reply was na I've already got too much $ into the ZG, can't have both... Long story short, they said "trade you for your ZG?"...  :eek:

I loved my ZG, but had done everything I could to it, had somewhere in the mid $20's to $30 into the ZG, knowing that nobody would ever pay that for her I looked at this as a good deal and decided to go ahead with it, at that time they wanted just under $22k for the 1290SA, so my justification for trying it was that in my head I was getting about 20gz for my ZG without doing anything to sell it, seemed like a good deal to me.

I've had dozens of bikes but never a twin, this 1290SA was my first twin, oh my is that fun, all you need is a little bump in the road, quick blip of the throttle and boom up comes the front wheel, so much fun!  :great: :great:

This was also my first European bike, all my prior bikes were Japan bikes. Wow at the quality of parts etc, night and day compared to Japan bikes.  :great: :great:

I loved the bike for just me, but the downside to it (IMO) is it was not a very comfy long distance 2up bike. Sure it can be done, but my wife was not in love with being on the back of it, and as we age I have her on the back more and more for long distance trips, I need and want her to "want" to go, so hence why I ended up trading the SA in for a Wing just a couple months ago.

Some of the things I really loved about this SA were the tank size (8 gallon  :eek:), built in cruise control, twin torque, and bullet proof to hit gravel/dirt roads.  :great: :great:

If I could afford having two $20k+ bikes in the garage I would have kept it, but for that much dough it just didn't check every box for me...  :??:

Below is the day one pic in it's oem form...

I swapped out the luggage, had Loren build me a seat, added more crash protection, better lighting, full Arrow exhaust w/PCV, K&N, did some custom paint work to orange it up a bit more, etc...

Gumby said:
Really, nobody going to comment on this ugly a** mullet. :D That's a slice out of the 1980's right there.

:49:  :sign0099:  :sign0144:

Don't make me hunt down some good mullet shots of you from back in the day bro...  ;D  :beerchug:

the key is Jay, when was the mullet set on the back burner.... :rotflmao:

we all grow up... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :beerchug: :beerchug:

In 1971 I bought this Honda CR110 after seeing an ad in the San Jose Mercury. Here I am during my one and only road race in Cotati California (in which I took second place):

Twenty years later, in 1991, I sold it to a restoration expert who drove up from southern California to pick it up:

Forgot about it until twenty years later (2011) and the restorer contacts me out of the blue to show off his restoration:

He was able to save the original finish on the tank, front fender and frame. This is as close to new as any CR110 on planet earth, he did a magnificent job. I sold it to the right guy.

Dan

This is my 1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S I bought brand new in March of 1986 (close out):

I had this up until two years ago when I sold it to my son. This is one of the best motorcycles I've ever owned, smooth, fast, comfortable and almost maintenance-free (hydraulic valve actuators).

Dan

Me and two of my best riding buddies on my 1969 Honda CB750 (one of the first to arrive in northern California):

Dan

Bergmen said:
This is my 1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S I bought brand new in March of 1986 (close out):

I had this up until two years ago when I sold it to my son. This is one of the best motorcycles I've ever owned, smooth, fast, comfortable and almost maintenance-free (hydraulic valve actuators).

Dan
You are dead on, I think that was one of the best bikes made.....  :great:

Gumby said:
You are dead on, I think that was one of the best bikes made.....  :great:

I see that bike and remember Frankie's back then, man he beat on that bike and it just kept ticking!  :great:

Bergmen said:
In 1971 I bought this Honda CR110 after seeing an ad in the San Jose Mercury. Here I am during my one and only road race in Cotati California (in which I took second place):

Twenty years later, in 1991, I sold it to a restoration expert who drove up from southern California to pick it up:

Forgot about it until twenty years later (2011) and the restorer contacts me out of the blue to show off his restoration:

He was able to save the original finish on the tank, front fender and frame. This is as close to new as any CR110 on planet earth, he did a magnificent job. I sold it to the right guy.

Dan

Oh my Dan, now THAT is rad! Great one!  :goodpost: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :bravo_2: :allhail: :great:

Took my MC endorsement on a 1985 CB700SC!
Awesome bike. Just found one in mint condition 20 min from me but the owner thinks it is worth almost 4K!!!    :-\
Maybe 2K. not 4.

Matt

A good friend bought one of these brand new in 1983 just before we did a big loop from southern indiana to Arizona and lots in between.  I was so jealous!  Bought this one in July of 1991 for $1500.  Still have it.  First bike I've had the top end off of to replace the head gasket and base gasket.  Shop screwed that job up three times.  Always ended up leaking at the base gasket.  They blamed my athena gaskets and the motorcycle being old, but never themselves!  It's not good when I turned out to be a better mechanic than someone who makes their living at it.  This is me and my niece Jenny when she was little.  Note my Who "Tommy" t-shirt.  I've had lots more bikes than cars.  If anyone is bored, I'll post more.

Attachments

• Paul and Jenny on GK.jpg
    Paul and Jenny on GK.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 149
Bergmen said:

Dan
Ditto I did the same thing. Same year make model and closeout in 1986. I wish I still had it.

Bergmen said:

Dan

very nice!  My version was an 82 VF750S Sabre.  Sadly, the only picture I had of the bike was lost in the divorce.  :(

here's what it looked like though.  it's the one bike I've owned which I regret selling.

Attachments

• sabre small.jpg
    sabre small.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 107
The oldies are internet pix.

Attachments

• rd350.jpg
    rd350.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 110
  • r5.jpg
    r5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 109
  • bridgestone.jpg
    bridgestone.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 109
  • cb160.jpg
    cb160.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 108
The newer pix are of the bikes I had.

Attachments

• XZ550.jpg
    XZ550.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
  • rightWithFairing.jpg
    rightWithFairing.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 110
  • SV650_2000.jpg
    SV650_2000.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 113
my second bike.  I hauled this one to Texas in 1989 before I sold it down there to buy the V45 Sabre.

Attachments

• XS500.jpg
    XS500.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 101
GeorgeRYoung said:
The oldies are internet pix.

I always thought the Bridgestone 350 was a cool bike (second picture). No medallions on the tank, you had to know who made it. Carburetors on the ends of the crank because of rotary valve induction system. It made the engine wide but overall the motorcycle was a sharp design IMO.

My brother had a CB160 like the first picture. Rode it like he thought of himself as Mike Hailwood.

Dan

The bike I played on for over five weeks in Colorado.

I'm not 100% sure i'm gonna sell this, it does have a certain charm. Original plan was to sell this and the c-10 when I got the Versys. And insurance is only $35/year.

7b_ec221_49b66dd8_tn.jpg.thumb

BTW, the dark/wet spot at the bottom of the rear tire is water draining from the drain hole in the right side saddle bag. It's the ice melting as I have that bag lined with foam to make a cooler.

Pic was taken west of Crested Butte on CR12. Went from Crested Butte to Hwy 133 over Kebler Pass.  I liked the road enough to do it in the opposite direction a few days later.

Neat road.

Okay, a couple more.

This is my 1964 Honda CB77 that I bought used while still in High School. When I got it, the color was lime green and it had a pair of loud megaphone "mufflers" on it. I "Bergmenized" it by stripping the paint and rattle-can painting it Candy Apple Blue, chroming the headlight mounts, installing CL77 Scrambler handlebars, chrome front fender and a set of cross-over high straight pipes:

Notice the round sleeve on the license plate bracket, back then in California all vehicles had to have the registration visible for LEOs. They stopped that practice when it became clear that theives were using this method to locate bikes (and cars) to steal.

My first entry into wheeled vehicle maintenance back around 1953/1954 or so:

That is me wearing the six-gun (every kid my age wore a six-gun) and my brother with safety glasses on (never know what could blow up here).

That box in the background is a utility sidecar my Dad had that bolted up to his 1947 HD Pan Head. He used to take me and my brother out for rides in it, we would stand up and look over the front. I would roll out and get "lost" on my tricycle and Dad would come and find me, pick me and the tricycle up in one bundle, set me in the sidecar and bring me home. I would take many opportunities to get "lost" just because. It is in the blood.

It doesn't get any better then this.

Dan

Bergmen said:
That box in the background is a utility sidecar my Dad had that bolted up to his 1947 HD Pan Head.

He may have purchased it in the fall of 1947 (assuming HD brought out next year models then like they do now) but it was a 1948. There is no such thing as a 1947 panhead.  :beerchug:

Gypsy JR said:
Bergmen said:
That box in the background is a utility sidecar my Dad had that bolted up to his 1947 HD Pan Head.

He may have purchased it in the fall of 1947 (assuming HD brought out next year models then like they do now) but it was a 1948. There is no such thing as a 1947 panhead.  :beerchug:

Quite true, I am basically guessing at the year (should have said that). He bought it from Lockheed for $50.00 when they were reducing inventory at the end of WWII. I think I have a picture of it somewhere. I need to dig it out and see what it is. I will post when I find it.

Dan

Bergmen said:
My first entry into wheeled vehicle maintenance back around 1953/1954 or so:

That is me wearing the six-gun (every kid my age wore a six-gun) and my brother with safety glasses on (never know what could blow up here).

That box in the background is a utility sidecar my Dad had that bolted up to his 1947 HD Pan Head. He used to take me and my brother out for rides in it, we would stand up and look over the front. I would roll out and get "lost" on my tricycle and Dad would come and find me, pick me and the tricycle up in one bundle, set me in the sidecar and bring me home. I would take many opportunities to get "lost" just because. It is in the blood.

It doesn't get any better then this.

Dan

Love the pic.  Great story!        :great: 

ZG said:
GeorgeRYoung said:
The newer pix are of the bikes I had.

Is that first one a Seca GRY?  :??:
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision, 550cc water-cooled V-twin with shaft drive, 4 valves per cylinder, shim over bucket. Horrible reliability, stator fried regularly far from home, but I used this as my middle-weight tourer for 20 years before graduating to the Concours.

My 2002 Honda Super Blackbird.  A great motorcycle.
  Brent

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 123
One of my favorites that I now wish I hadn't sold.  Bought the rolling chassis with 900 miles for $1200.  The guy had pulled the engine to put in a mini sprint car he raced.  Bought the engine and exhaust from a salvage yard called sport wheels up north for another $1200.  When I called about an engine the guy told me that his buddy in Canada was an insurance adjuster and had one to get rid of.  Lucky me!  That bike was a real hoot to ride.  Rode it from So. Indiana to Macon, GA and back.

Attachments

• 1985 GS1150ES.jpg
    1985 GS1150ES.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 129
Brother Mark and I both had early quads , Suzuki sport 230S, not powerful but fun.

Mark 1990 on his,  Ocean Shores WA

Dan on his, Moses Lake WA

First picture is my old 1970 CB350 (no, it was not an original CL) with my then young  (and still married to) lovely wife.  Second photo is the Yamaha Vision I purchased brand new in 1984. After  almost 30 years with the Vision I then got my red 2000 C10, Vision is gone (had an engine problem, not going to put any more money into it) Son- in-laws Vulcan in the background.  Last picture is the true 1970 CL350 I purchased this summer.  It is still a work in progress but i was able to ride it this September in the "Gentleman's" ride.  Not sure it I am going to keep the old Honda next year or not, it is certainly a different riding experience and it still has a few "bugs" to work out. .      Edit, I am not an "expired" member, don't know how to get that fixed.

Attachments

• 24220019.jpg
    24220019.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2423 (2).JPG
    IMG_2423 (2).JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 140
1978 Yam XS650 std.
Bought 4 years ago w/o title. Title in my  name last year. Waiting for the darned mechanik to start on it. LOL

danodemotoman said:
1978 Yam XS650 std.
Bought 4 years ago w/o title. Title in my  name last year. Waiting for the darned mechanik to start on it. LOL

Dan, those are really fun bikes. A modern Bonneville so to speak (without the breakdowns, oil leaks, Lucas electrics, Amal carburetors, etc.).

Dan (the other Dan).

Bud said:
One of my favorites that I now wish I hadn't sold.  Bought the rolling chassis with 900 miles for $1200.  The guy had pulled the engine to put in a mini sprint car he raced.  Bought the engine and exhaust from a salvage yard called sport wheels up north for another $1200.  When I called about an engine the guy told me that his buddy in Canada was an insurance adjuster and had one to get rid of.  Lucky me!  That bike was a real hoot to ride.  Rode it from So. Indiana to Macon, GA and back.

Very nice Bud! I'm a sucker for mid-to late 80's Suzi's!  :great: :great:

I'd like to see some more pics of that one... Please post some more!  :)   

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

mtnbandit said:
  My 2002 Honda Super Blackbird.  A great motorcycle.
  Brent

Very cool Brent!  :great: :great:

I almost bought one of those a couple bikes ago, it was one of the earlier ones that was carb'd (late 90's?), I think the later model years went to fuel injection at some point right? Did you do hard or soft luggage for it and go on any trips? Any pics with the luggage?

Also had a GL SilverWing I (interstate). 1983 version had the engine displacement increased to 674cc? and called it GL650, also made a CX650. The increased power was nice compared to the 500. Bro Al had a 78 CX500 before.
Had it until summer '97 when  cow orker asked for the third time to buy it for his wife. I had outgrown the GL.
Just then read article in Rider about the price drop of the C10. So Decided that was the new bike for me even tho had never recalled seeing one.  No available 97's so sales guy put in an order for a '98 that came in in August '97
It was a brave new world riding the C10.

Attachments

• 83 GL650I.jpg
    83 GL650I.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 106
Another one of my regrets is not taking more pictures of all the bikes I've owned.  One thing about the "good ole days" of the 80's was that cameras required film......that had to be developed.....I was real bad about taking a roll of film and never getting it developed or just not taking any pictures at all.  Gonna have to start asking relatives if they have any of me and my bikes.

Bud said:
Another one of my regrets is not taking more pictures of all the bikes I've owned.  One thing about the "good ole days" of the 80's was that cameras required film......that had to be developed.....I was real bad about taking a roll of film and never getting it developed or just not taking any pictures at all.  Gonna have to start asking relatives if they have any of me and my bikes.

my biggest lament today... :truce: :truce: :truce:

all my cool photos of old bikes, are all on paper... and digging them out of boxes that have been archived for 20+ years, and digitizing them for "modern" viewing is causing me a lot of anguish.... back in the '70s I had my own darkroom, and shot a lot of film.. man, it sucks being ancient.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:    not    :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:

anyone wanna buy some nice old SLR cameras? just kidding... I collect old cameras also.. many garage sales, yielded some from the 20's, thru the 70's...  Kodak's, Polaroids, Argus,
won my first photo contest in 1971 with a Brownie Hawkeye...(circa 1950)

Several of the pics of my previous bikes I took off the internet.
Only a few show me with or on them.

Bud said:

My bikes over the past 3 years.  I repainted the 1978 Yamaha myself with rattle cans. Rebuilt the 1980 Suzuki GS850G (most comfortable bike I've ever had).  Currently with a 2001 Concours. 

Attachments

• 10432505_4310068728003_3914929817785543474_n.jpg
    10432505_4310068728003_3914929817785543474_n.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 10552500_4463297638630_4499987907172711470_n.jpg
    10552500_4463297638630_4499987907172711470_n.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 10624716_4948466887558_8347099960345478003_n.jpg
    10624716_4948466887558_8347099960345478003_n.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 115
Here's what I had right before the 86 Connie, a 1978 XS1100E. Did my first Iron Butt ride on that :motonoises:

Attachments

• briansnowberg2.jpg
    briansnowberg2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DCP_3174.JPG
    DCP_3174.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 128