• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

picked up at 9 and 9:30

mjb750j

Training Wheels
Well It's time to admit it . 06/28/2008 I picked up my 2002  Connie from the dealer :). Loaded her in the trailer and made the 20 min. trip home . Backed the trailer into the driveway and figured because this is a tilt trailer unloading her will be a breeze  ;). So undoing the straps and making sure everything was good to go I started  walking backwards on the left side of the bike, trailer started to come up at a gentle rate, at this point I realized my sneakers were not gripping as well as I would of liked on the slimy mold like coating on the wooden floor  :eek:. Liberty ( her name) decided to roll back slightly further that I was hoping and the rest of the unloading process went fairly quickly. Yes I did save the bike as it landed on top of my left leg. Fortunately for me I had knee surgery for a Mencius tear the prior month and the brace held the bike up quite well thank you. As I lay there I was hoping one of my nosey neighbors would come to my rescue but the only thing I heard was crickets. I managed to get the bike up off me and on the side stand with only a small scuff mark on the ft fender that I was able to buff out  ;D 1

Great and unfortunate story Mike! Apparently Liberty wanted to thank you with a big 'ol hug for setting her free from that trailer!
The "tilt" trailer brough to mind my unloading of a zero turn mower that ended with my "not tilting but free to tilt dropgate" trailer putting us in some uncompromising positions!

From a fellow CDA.. welcome to the club.... and.. Nice Catch! :)

Mike,  CDA0336
Welcome to the club!

That's one of my fears - lying underneath the bike and no one to help me get her back up.  I've been procrastinating purposely putting her down slowly (I have the tip-over bars) and then using the proper technique to get her back up - practice.  Some day!

thanks, guys. thankfully the way she fell I was able to wiggle myself free.Having the bags on definately helped keep some of the bike off me as well. But crash bars might be a good addition. Any suggestions ??

Yeah Mike .. get 'em before your first drop if possible (useless infor!) and get 'em as soon after and before your next drop! I think Steve in Sunny Florida in the links to partners does them but it seems they were coming to an end of production for the C10.. Please correct if someone is less ignorant than I!  :p

Thanks for the CO-Rect BBAR!! I knew someone with less ADHD would chime in!...
Murphs=Must have accessories.. SISF=motor/drivetrain performance upgrades!!
(I love this group!)  :)

Well sorry for the troubles Mike.  I am glad you still had the knee brace on.  Yours is not the first or worst story I have heard.  One guy(sorry if you are here) got a NEW Concours, was afraid to drive home so rented a Uhaul and as he was backing down the high ramp dropped the bike off the ramp breaking the shield and just about everything you would expect if you dropped a bike upside down onto concrete from 4 feet up.  An insurance claim with less then 4 miles on the odometer if I remember correct.  This bike does not provide the best learning tool for new riders or trailering.

smithr-scad said:
This bike does not provide the best learning tool for new riders or trailering.

Or "This bike provides the best learning tool for new riders or trailering if monetary loss and back strain is your greatest teacher!"