• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pilot GTs

billhook

Yes, here we go again folks... Let me start out by saying that I LOVE my Avons, but, I just couldn't handle having to replace the rear Azaro after less than 4000 miles. So I got me a pair of Pilot GTs. I spooned them on Friday (not as hard as everyone says) and headed out to the SWOKZ (SouthWest Ohio KZ) Rally Saturday morning. I LOVE the Avons so much that I have to admit that I've been reluctant to go to a different tire for fear that I would lose some handling in the twisties. Well, after 650 miles this weekend, on everything from superslab to multiple 20 mile stretches of snakelike esses, I have to say that most of my fears have been for naught. I have not worked up to quite the same confidence in the curves as I had with the Avons, but I'm really close (there's a little less than a 1/4 inch of chicken strips left, about the same as the Avons) and any remaining issues of trust I have are more of a mental block than any real issues with the tires' performance. I just have to work through the mental block and I think more riding time with them will help alot. The best that I can describe it is that I am confident enough to run at a spirited, fun pace, I'm just not to the point that I feel secure enough to go over to a maniacal pace, yet, which I felt the Avons would do. Regardless, the tires performed flawlessly. It feels a little more stable around trucks on the slab, but can still be a little scary. I'll have to wait to see what kind of mileage I get out them before I can say I'm completely happy with them, though. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Avons, but I think I'm going to be happy enough with the Pilot GTs. BTW - Since I am inseam challenged, I raised the forks about 1/2 an inch in the triple trees and changed the air in the shock from 40 lbs to 20 lbs to lower the bike to just about what it was with the Avons. All the usual disclaimers apply - YMMV, past performance is no guarantee of future returns, management not responsible for items left in your vehicle, ride at your own risk, etc. P.S. Did I mention that I LOVE my Avons? Bill Hookman Columbus, OH COG #6893, Ohio AAD CDA #0278 The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

No helmet necessary? No, Krumgrinder and Strawboss were not around when I mounted them. So, Krum was safe and Strawboss has the official COG tire changing helmet. :) Bill Hookman Columbus, OH COG #6893, Ohio AAD CDA #0278 The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.