• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Please help me test my system! Need advice!

Vic_Man_CA

Big Wheel
Hello. I need to know how to test my charging system. There are two sires coming from the alternator, red and black. Is one of these wires a constant 12v to alternator? Is one of them ground? How do I test my charging system? I think my system may be not charging the battery like it should. Need advice on how to test. Thank you!

I would take it to my local Advance Auto Parts store here in North Carolina, they offer free testing of the charging system. Looking in your area it looks like it'd be Kragen Auto Parts, though I'm sure there are others.

Using a simple volt meter....put the leads on any live connection, hot and ground and read the standing voltage. It should be around 12.5 to 12.8 or so. Now start the bike and bring the revs up to 2-3000 and you should see very high 13's to about 14.5 volts on the meter. If you do, it is charging.