• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Popping out of 2nd gear after being engaged?

A_C

Training Wheels
I've read up on this on the web at it seems this was probably cauesd by the PO (riding too hard). I'll be riding along and I go from first gear to second gear (at a fast rate of speed). The gear will engage but then at about 6000 rpm or above it will pop back into neutral. I find that if I take my time and really push the selecter hard, it will engage and stay in gear with no problem. Also shifting down from third has no ill effect. It is notabbly harder to change from 1-2 then any other gear (probably because of the neutral?). My plan is to take it easy for the season, and open the transimission and replace the possible 'dogged' 2nd gear this fall. Are there any things I can adjust in the mean time to mend this issue? Has anyone done this procedure? any tips? Thanks, Colin

Our previous Exec Dir. Guy Young, wrote an article way back in 2001? in his Centerstand column about upgrading the selector spring and ?? with a Pro version. That fixed this issue. Its a lot of work to replace it thou as you have to remove the Bevel Drive Unit, which entails removal of the rear wheel and swinging arm. The kit was $70.00 This looks like it:FactoryPro If you want to go for Steve's 7th Gear Mod, you could kill 2 birds with one stone. :) Just reread your post. Umm a lot of work to open up the transmission! its a complete engine rebuild. If you do decide to tackle it that way, let me know as you may want to upgrade the engine while your at it with some lighter weight ZRX11 pistons and ZX10B rods, you will remove most of the vibration and get more power. I would suggest you try the pro-kit first, way less work :) Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Happens to me when I'm wearing street shoes but never with boots, always thought it was just a matter of how hard I was shifting.

I've failed to fully up-shift as well. Seems that gear is just more sensitive to it. Only happens when I'm rolling back the throttle more than usual. You might want to consider adjusting the lever a tad or just shifting more authoritatively when gunning it.

Yeah, I've experienced the same a few times... as someone said, adjust the shift rod a "tad"... and make sure that when you shift, that you do it completely, deliberately, and fully (not just a little lift). That should cure your popping out of gear.

It could be either just not shifting hard enough like others have exp. or it could be wore out and the pro mod would fix that. Just try altering your shift habit first. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br