• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Powdercoated triple clamps

Bagger John

Anyone ever powdercoat the triple clamps on their bike?

I've a Valkyrie project that's slowly turning completely black, along with a spare triple clamp set. Thoughts are to powdercoat it as well then swap the existing pieces out the next time I need to service the steering head bearings.

For those of you who did it: Have you experienced problems with cracking the coating when tightening the fork-tube pinch bolts? Any better way to go about this?

best of luck on your "black" conversion, I always love stealth black machines.. for the part you are asking about, consult you coater, talk to him and insure his understandings that you just want the part "black" and note for them to completely mask the inner fork bores, using an appropriate heat proof tape, prior to spraying the powder, and baking them.. you don't want ANY coating in there.. bores should bee clean, and  base metal.
They will understand.. press them.

^ What MOB said.  Be clear and communicate with you powder coater.  They may already know this, but if they aren't riders, they may not know.  Make sure they plug threads, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the powder cracking at all.  I've done many triple trees and never heard a whimper about any powder cracking.

Post pics! :great:

I think I would ask about the load bearing surfaces of the fork bolts.
Under the heads of the bolts and nut landing surfaces. Maybe these
load bearing surfaces can be taped off.

I have already powdercoated my triple clamp, at least the upper one, and have zero issues with cracking. I have even powdercoated the rear springs on my Vmax, and that has been about 10 years ago, and once again, zero issues with cracking

Attachments

• DSC02025 - Copy.JPG
    DSC02025 - Copy.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 119
Thanks for all the replies.

The local powdercoater (who's done quite a bit for me on this project already) is a biker...and is definitely aware of keeping things like sealing, load bearing and clamping surfaces free of coating.

Yet more parts to add to the pile!

This particular "project" - an '01 Interstate - got the fairing garnishes, turn signals, taillight housing and radiator pod accents painted black several years ago, to match its bodywork color. Last year, I powdercoated the engine guards, saddlebag mounts, cam belt covers, cam end covers, rear brake master cylinder cover and a spare aftermarket Kuryakyn engine cover set. Piece de resistance was a set of GL1500 Gold Wing valve covers; these have "1500" in raised lettering. The lettering and accent ribs were buffed prior to coating and the inner parts of the lettering were manually painted to match the coating. The motor is striking. One last thing would make it complete, and that's painting the crankcase and heads gloss black.

A set of master cylinders and levers from a '14 GL1800C Valkyrie - also black - are going on the bike this year. Handlebars, front peg mounts, rear brake pedal, lower fork tube covers (from a VTX1800C), upper fork tube covers (fabbed by me and my bro-in-law), caliper covers, lower fork covers and fork deflectors plus the spare triple clamps are in the queue for coating. Rounding out this year's work will be a set of Galfer and Russell stainless steel clutch and brake lines. The aim is...contrast. What was chrome (OEM or otherwise) is not black. What was black or brushed aluminum is now chrome.

Honda should have offered one of these as a limited model, as Yamaha did with their Midnight Special line back in the day. The influences are definitely visible...much as the streamlined steam locomotives of the 30s also gave inspiration.

My other Valkyrie - a '99 Tourer - went the other direction although it still wears its black (OEM) side covers. Lots of Hondaline, Kuryakyn and Cobra chrome made its way onto that one. The bike also sports the Interstate's trunk, as the former looks better without one.